Which Pacific Cross Health policies will be acceptable proof of health insurance for O-A visas?

KeeTua

The link for Pacific Cross on Immigration's recommended site http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

takes us here:
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/

But the Pacific Cross homepage has other policy options:
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/

Which Pacific Cross policies will be acceptable proof of health insurance for O-A visas for the first and subsequent years?

Also the policies accessed via their homepage like Premier, Maxima have discount options for lowering the premium. Assuming these policies are acceptable to meet Immigration requirements will selecting a higher deductible be allowed?

Hopefully a Pacific Cross rep will be along to reply.

The link for Pacific Cross on Immigration's recommended site http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa
takes us here:
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/

But the Pacific Cross homepage has other policy options:
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/

Which Pacific Cross policies will be acceptable proof of health insurance for O-A visas for the first and subsequent years?

Also the policies accessed via their homepage like Premier, Maxima have discount options for lowering the premium. Assuming these policies are acceptable to meet Immigration requirements will selecting a higher deductible be allowed?

Hopefully a Pacific Cross rep will be along to reply.
They have already done so in other threads. Any policy will do as long as it meets or exceeds the 400/40 criteria.

Ditto any if the other companies listed. Some of their links don't even go to specific plans.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They have already done so in other threads. Any policy will do as long as it meets or exceeds the 400/40 criteria.

Ditto any if the other companies listed. Some of their links don't even go to specific plans.

Thanks. I have come across posts discussing this but the posts get buried in other threads not specifically related to Pacific Cross. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread specific to Pacific Cross to get the facts in one place. I foresee many people searching for good solid facts. Hopefully more threads specific to the various insurers will pop up.

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most quotes seem to exclude outpatient cover because it effects premiums by 20%, so there's the 40k outpatient cover problem.

This Pacific Cross cover looks good

https://pattayasports.org/psc-featured-news/privileged-membership-health-medical-insurance-exclusive-to-psc-members/

From the little research I've done the policies listed on Pacific Cross homepage look far superior than the ones accessed via http://longstay.tgia.org/ and I like the option of selecting a higher deductible to lower the premium. And it gives no claim discounts up to 20% if no claims for 3 years.

4 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

The most confusing thing for me is this....these companies...most of them refuse nenewal after a certain age. Then what? Without the new document showing proof of insurance... do you just leave?

For the Maxima policy on the Pacific Cross site it states this:

"Ability to renew up to 99 years"

I think I won't be worrying about it after 99 years.

From the little research I've done the policies listed on Pacific Cross homepage look far superior than the ones accessed via http://longstay.tgia.org/ and I like the option of selecting a higher deductible to lower the premium. And it gives no claim discounts up to 20% if no claims for 3 years.
40,000 baht deductible seems to be the best value deductible, as you increase it the discount is less beneficial

7 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

The most confusing thing for me is this....these companies...most of them refuse nenewal after a certain age. Then what? Without the new document showing proof of insurance... do you just leave?

Yes, both the enrolment age (in many cases not after 65) and the renewal date is a problem.

My favorite is the one that says the policies are for people "aged 20 to 65". Not too clear on the concept of long stay retirement vuisas....

You also need to be careful not just on age of renewal but whether renewals are guaranteed, some never guarantee renewal.

And yes you could well end up high and dry insurance wise. So be very careful.

As far as I know Pacific Cross will enroll up to (?or through - I'm not clear on that) age 75 and guarnatees renewal until age 99.

Note that even when a policy is open to people your age does not mean they will issue you one, if you have pre-exisitng conditions they might deny.

8 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

What you access form the longstay website is the PC site. The opening page shows some policies but also links easily to others.

Other companies' websites are same or open to general policies or to none at all.

It is a complete misunderstanding that only specific policies are acceptable. Any policy from the listed companies (or in many cases underwritten by them even if issued by a different company not listed, and there are such cases) which includes 400/40 or more is acceptable.

However those are slim pickings if over age 65 and care needs to be taken regarding renewal provisions.

What is still unclear is whether a policy from a company not on the list (Thai or foreign) that meets the 400/40 criteria is acceptable.

I very strongly urge buying through a broker specializing in expat insurance in Thailand. I recommend that regardless,  but all the more if needing insurance for visa purposes. Broker can advice whether the required certificate can be obtained for a given policy and later help with any claims.

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
39 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

40,000 baht deductible seems to be the best value deductible, as you increase it the discount is less beneficial

Yep, that's the conclusion I came to also.

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I very strongly urge buying through a broker specializing in expat insurance in Thailand. I recommend that regardless,  but all the more if needing insurance for visa purposes. Broker can advice whether the required certificate can be obtained for a given policy and later help with any claims.

Do you know if the costs varies much between buying from a broker or buying direct?

9 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Do you know if the costs varies much between buying from a broker or buying direct?

No difference at all. Same price. Usually you remit directly to the insurer.

And broker can summarize for you the comparative costs.

I use AA brokers and have been very happy with their service especially Jenny.

Studying their plans I think the reason the tgia site link initially reverts to the Platinum plans may be because these have the highest age limit for enrolment (75 years). I do not find age limit specified for Standard, Premier , Maxima and Ultima plans but as the listed premium goes only to age 65 I assume cannot enrol in  those plans after that age. The Pattaya expat club can apparently enrol till 75 but not at all clear individual applicants can.

In another thread PC representative indicated that people who already have a plan without OPD can add it for an additional I think 10k premium. Presumably (though would have to verify this) that would apply to people  of any age up to 99 years already holding a Standard, Premier , Maxima or Ultima plan as well as Platinum plan.

One warning re deductibles - the Imm order says nothing about it, you would need to check with the insurer to see if they can still issue the Imm certificate if a deductible option is chosen.

These are the sort of intracacies that a broker should be able to  sort out for you.

The downside with Pacific Cross, and as I understand it, all Thai-based companies is that they include a clause like the one below.  Say you are diagnosed with, and treated for, cancer. The following year, they can increase your premium because you have, or have had, cancer. Further than that, they can increase they premium for any reason that pops into their mind "at their sole discretion". Good overseas policies don't have such a clause.

image.png.7a94a77551ee375329478d3531f50030.png

6 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

The downside with Pacific Cross, and as I understand it, all Thai-based companies is that they include a clause like the one below.  Say you are diagnosed with, and treated for, cancer. The following year, they can increase your premium because you have, or have had, cancer. Further than that, they can increase they premium for any reason that pops into their mind "at their sole discretion". Good overseas policies don't have such a clause.

image.png.7a94a77551ee375329478d3531f50030.png

This is true and why many of us have opted for overseas policies.

there are some exceptions though. April Thailand will not raise premiums on an individual basis. Though April is not listed their plans can be used (provided include OPD) because LMG, a listed company, is the underwriter and will issue the certificate for Imm. However they enroll only up to age 65.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

This is true and why many of us have opted for overseas policies.

there are some exceptions though. April Thailand will not raise premiums on an individual basis. Though April is not listed their plans can be used (provided include OPD) because LMG, a listed company, is the underwriter and will issue the certificate for Imm. However they enroll only up to age 65.

Coincidentally, I'm currently talking to a broker about April. I'm seeking clarification on the clause below. He told me that it is a "paper rule" needed because the policy is being used in Thailand. I pointed out that he is actually saying that company has the right to increase the premium based on health history, but they won't exercise that right. I've also asked what is the current approved rate referred to in the clause. He is contacting April for clarification. 

13. Premium adjustment
In case of renewal, the Company reserves the right to adjust the premium in accordance with the age and risk profile of the covered person(s), and the
premium adjusted must be within the approved rate by the Insurance Commissioner. The Company must also give prior written notice to the Insured.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Good to know. I use AA brokers for my auto insurance. I will check with them in the near future.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

One warning re deductibles - the Imm order says nothing about it, you would need to check with the insurer to see if they can still issue the Imm certificate if a deductible option is chosen.

These are the sort of intracacies that a broker should be able to  sort out for you.

The deductible is something I mentioned in the OP. Maybe someone will be along to clarify if will be acceptable. Or I will check with a broker later.

Here's a rough comparison of a couple of Pacific Cross policies. I didn't make a comparison of all the benefits, just the per year maximum benefit hoping deductibles will be allowed.

My age group 61-65

I rounded numbers.

Accessed via longstay.tgia.org

Policy name: Platinum 1
coverage ฿420,000/year
฿51,000/year

Accessed via pacificcrosshealth.com

Policy name: Maxima
coverage ฿5,000,000/year

฿81,500/year

After available discounts:

฿61,000 - 25% discount for deductible of ฿40,000

฿55,000 - 10% discount 1 year no claims (based on policy 40K deductible)

Long Stay Visa Platinum plans
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/brochure_long-stay-visa-ok.pdf

Maxima and Maxima Plus plans
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Maxima-Plan_Edit-1.pdf

I'm not sure about that, for example in the PSC link i posted above they are getting a 15% discount when they get 10+ people

The deductible is something I mentioned in the OP. Maybe someone will be along to clarify if will be acceptable. Or I will check with a broker later.

Here's a rough comparison of a couple of Pacific Cross policies. I didn't make a comparison of all the benefits, just the per year maximum benefit hoping deductibles will be allowed.

My age group 61-65
I rounded numbers.

Accessed via longstay.tgia.org
Policy name: Platinum 1
coverage ฿420,000/year
฿51,000/year

Accessed via pacificcrosshealth.com
Policy name: Maxima
coverage ฿5,000,000/year
฿81,500/year
After available discounts:
฿61,000 - 25% discount for deductible of ฿40,000
฿55,000 - 10% discount 1 year no claims (based on policy 40K deductible)

Long Stay Visa Platinum plans
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/brochure_long-stay-visa-ok.pdf

Maxima and Maxima Plus plans
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Maxima-Plan_Edit-1.pdf

Its acceptability will basically be up to the company i.e. will they still issue you Imm certificate.

I am not clear if deductible appl8es to the inpt part only. If it alSo applues to OPD then you would probably no longer meet Imm criteria but case can certainly be made if it applies only to inpt as you'd still have way over 400k cover.

Indeed best to have a broker sort it out with the company.

Just do not buy any policy without guarantee they will issue the Imm certificate with it.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Its acceptability will basically be up to the company i.e. will they still issue you Imm certificate.

I am not clear if deductible appl8es to the inpt part only. If it alSo applues to OPD then you would probably no longer meet Imm criteria but case can certainly be made if it applies only to inpt as you'd still have way over 400k cover.

Indeed best to have a broker sort it out with the company.

Just do not buy any policy without guarantee they will issue the Imm certificate with it.

Why would this be Sheryl ? especially if you have a plan that covers up to 5m baht.

Always found it best to deal with Pacific Cross directly rather than going through a third party, can get like chinese whispers if too many people are involved plus the factor of a broker being busy therefore having to wait for a response.

On a separate issue regarding the deductible and outpatient costs, due to outpatient costs generally being fairly low it could well be that due to having a deductible for 40,000 baht for example it wouldn't be cost effective to claim on the insurance policy for a incident therefore making the outpatient part of the policy mostly redundant although due to Immigration policy it is still something we need to be insured for.

Archived