Opposition rejects 2020 budget, accuses govt of focusing more on arms than people’s hardship

webfact

Opposition rejects 2020 budget, accuses govt of focusing more on arms than people’s hardship

By The Nation

800_74abc5db01228d7.jpeg?v=1571330672

Opposition leader Sompong Amornvivat

The opposition attacked the government for prioritising military spending instead of helping people cope with economic hardships on Thursday (October 17), as Parliament began debating the budget bill.

The attack came after Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha spent two hours presenting the Bt3.2-trillion bill to the House of Representatives.

The government and the opposition will spend two more days debating the fiscal 2020 national budget in its first reading. If the bill is passed by Parliament, it is due to be implemented early next year. 

The government has continued running budget deficits amid a sharp domestic and global economic slowdown. 

In his presentation, Prayut said this budget is in line with the government’s 20-year national strategy (2018-2037), which aims to improve people’s living standards and develop the economy sustainably. 

The opposition shot back, saying the government was prioritising defence spending instead of focusing on boosting people’s income. 

Opposition leader Sompong Amornvivat said that despite five years under Prayut’s junta-led administration when the country’s total spending had hit Bt14.3 trillion with loans of Bt2.2 trillion, the economy failed to advance. 

He also pointed out that more than Bt6 billion had been allocated to the Defence Ministry in the latest budget, while the Interior Ministry is getting Bt25 billion more than the previous year. The government also set aside a large central fund of Bt518.8 billion, which it can spend freely without Parliament’s scrutiny or consent, Sompong said, as he warned the government against using this money to purchase more military hardware. 

He also said that the government’s move to stimulate domestic tourism by giving cash to travellers is a waste of money because it will not boost productivity. 

“The budget bill should be redrafted,” he said. 

Meanwhile, Pol General Sereepisut Temiyavej, leader of the Seree Ruam Thai Party, said the government does not have the legitimacy to rule as Prayut’s oath-taking was incomplete as he did not say the words required by the Constitution. Hence, he said, this government does not have the authority to propose a budget bill. 

Anudit Nakorntab, Pheu Thai MP, called on the government to postpone its plans to purchase arms, especially since the country is not facing an emergency situation and that the issue of people facing economic hardship is more important. 

He also pointed out that the previous junta-led government had also used the central fund to purchase tanks and build guesthouses for the Navy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377508

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-18

Hats off to the opposition here. The Prayuth regime have spent appallingly since 2014 (completely unchecked).

The waste has been eye watering.

I wonder how much Thai airways will be allocated, that should definitely face major scrutiny

49 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

I keep wondering who they're defending against. What external threats do they perceive that I can't see? I'm thinking just more toys for them to play with for a while.

Think purchase...commission!

56 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
1 hour ago, sturdyd said:

I keep wondering who they're defending against. What external threats do they perceive that I can't see? I'm thinking just more toys for them to play with for a while.

Think purchase...commission!

Think also 'national security' - that all-encompassing phrase that prevents discussion or questioning of where money has gone or what it's been used for.

1 hour ago, kirbi53 said:

They are defending themselves 

against those infiltrating  d a m n commies who want to destroy the establishment and country 

apparently

Those commies who want democracy, while the current government is working closer and closer together with the Chinese who just happen to be.... uhm... commies.

The weaponry has been especially ordered by General Apirat. He needs it to protect PM Prayut and the filthy rich 1% from Thanathorn and his diabolical Future Forward Party who want to help the poor thereby posing a threat to national security.

On 10/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

The government also set aside a large central fund of Bt518.8 billion, which it can spend freely without Parliament’s scrutiny or consent,

Staggering that MPs on both sides of the divide would not howl this down.  The 'I'm alright, Jack' syndrome and <deleted> the poor.

On 10/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

Prayut said this budget is in line with the government’s 20-year national strategy (2018-2037),

Prayut's 20 year national strategy will count for nought when General Apirat instigates the next coup. He has made it clear it is his turn next. Then the military budget will be more that twice what it is now.

I am not seeing it....the need for the exravagent  purchase of some military equipment that is to be bought into service in the coming years.  The purchase of a  submarine....one,  three or 5 just doesn't make sense.  The purchase of another landing ship.....why?  More tanks......  I think other posters on this thread have got it.  It's an ego trip at the expense of the peasant class and down trodden.  Just one submarine and it's associated running costs could pay for several new dental hospitals (badly needed) and their running costs.   And that budgeted 518 billion baht at the discression of the PM and govt ministers is nothing more than a cash cow to be milked for all its worth.  Not that I am  pointing the finger at anyone in particular..... 

8 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I am not seeing it....the need for the exravagent  purchase of some military equipment that is to be bought into service in the coming years.  The purchase of a  submarine....one,  three or 5 just doesn't make sense.  The purchase of another landing ship.....why?  More tanks......  I think other posters on this thread have got it.  It's an ego trip at the expense of the peasant class and down trodden.  Just one submarine and it's associated running costs could pay for several new dental hospitals (badly needed) and their running costs.   And that budgeted 518 billion baht at the discression of the PM and govt ministers is nothing more than a cash cow to be milked for all its worth.  Not that I am  pointing the finger at anyone in particular..... 

Luckily you're not pointing your finger, they still have attitude retraining for those that do. 

Archived