Trump to host G7 summit at his Florida golf resort, sparking criticism

webfact

Trump to host G7 summit at his Florida golf resort, sparking criticism

2019-10-17T171851Z_1_LYNXMPEF9G1T9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-HOTEL.JPG

The Trump National Doral golf resort is shown in Doral, Florida, U.S., March 18, 2019. Picture taken March 18, 2019. REUTERS/Joe Skipper

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will host next year's Group of Seven economic summit of leaders of developed nations at his Florida golf resort, a move Democrats and others decried as more evidence of the president misusing his office for personal gain.

White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney on Thursday told a news conference that the G7 summit would take place at Trump National Doral golf resort near Miami from June 10 to 12, after the administration chose it from about a dozen potential sites.

The Republican president faces criticism and a number of congressional investigations over his finances and potential conflicts of interest stemming from his real estate business, which he still owns.

He also faces an impeachment inquiry into accusations that he pursued political interests in his dealings with Ukraine.

The U.S. constitution's emoluments clause prohibits government officials from receiving salaries, fees or profits from foreign and domestic governments without congressional approval.

Democrats have said they would investigate Trump's plan to host the G7 at his property after he floated the idea in August.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic lawmakers decried the choice.

"The constitution is clear: the president cannot accept gifts or payments from foreign governments. No one is above the law," Pelosi wrote on Twitter.

In a statement, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler called the announcement "among the most brazen examples yet of the President's corruption." Nadler said the committee would continue investigating "regarding these matters".

Mulvaney told reporters that Trump will not profit from use of the property because any charges would be "at cost." He also said using Doral "was millions of dollars cheaper" than other facilities and would lead to a "roughly 50% savings."

White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said on Thursday that U.S. President Donald Trump will host next year's Group of Seven economic summit of developed world leaders at one of his own properties, the Trump National Doral golf resort near Miami. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

"Face it, he'd be criticized regardless of what he chose to do. But, no, there's no issue here on him profiting from this in any way, shape or form," Mulvaney said.

Trump has repeatedly attacked Joe Biden, a leading Democratic presidential candidate and former vice-president, over his son's business ties in Ukraine and China, which Trump has repeatedly, and without evidence, called corrupt.

Asked how the president's use of his private business properties to host official government events differed from Trump's accusations against the Bidens, Mulvaney told reporters there would be no profit and said the family had made its money before Trump became president in January 2017.

Trump has said he is not involved with the day-to-day operations of his private company and his sons run the business.

Republican Senator Mitt Romney, who has been critical of Trump's Ukraine dealings but has not called for his impeachment, called the choice "a very unusual site selection."

The Democratic National Committee, in a statement, said it appeared Trump was trying to resuscitate an unprofitable property that has "been hemorrhaging money."

The news spread quickly.

On the sidelines of the annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, Ghana's finance minister quipped, "Could you imagine if the president of Ghana did something like that? It would not go down well."

Kenneth Ofori-Atta told Reuters, "We don't have a wealthy president, so that would not happen. We have a state facility in the mountains. That's where something like that would be."

In May, the Washington Post reported Doral's operating income had fallen 69 percent since 2015, citing company documents that it reviewed.

Other Democrats said they were amazed at the announcement, and noted the irony of it being made on the same day that House Oversight Committee chairman Elijah Cummings, whose panel had been investigating whether Trump had used taxpayer funds to enrich himself, had died.

"All pretense is gone," said Representative Peter Welch, a member of the oversight committee. Referring to Trump's eldest daughter, he added, "He'll probably have Ivanka there, checking them in and taking deposits."

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Additional reporting by David Lawder, Lisa Lambert, Susan Cornwell and Richard Cowan; Writing by Makini Brice and Susan Heavey; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-18

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can be added as another article of Impeachment.

The president that impeaches himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/17/trumps-hosting-g-is-deeply-corrupt-heres-how-democrats-can-step-up/

Trump’s hosting of the G-7 is deeply corrupt. Here’s how Democrats can step up.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

It just doesn't stop. Every day, every week, for year after year, now. Lowlife president surrounded by lowlife family, advisers, staff, and appointees.

And then cries at his fan rallies "they're always accusing me of something!  This time it's..."

1 hour ago, webfact said:

In a statement, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler called the announcement "among the most brazen examples yet of the President's corruption." Nadler said the committee would continue investigating "regarding these matters".

And yet again, the great question "and what are YOU gonna do about it?" 

You Republicans should count your blessings, the strongest thing you guys having going for you is your adversaries are the Democrats.  I am not feeling optimistic about who will occupy the Oval Office on January 21, 2021.

Back in 2012 I saw Bernie being interviewed, he was asked about who in Congress takes influence money.  "All the Republicans do. All." he said.  When asked about the Dems he said "some."  How many?  "About 40%." 

I've thought about this now and then, I figure the GOP is paid to do the things they want done, and the Dems (I would suspect the leadership is in the 40%) are paid to not get in their way.

You would have to ask yourself what's going through the mind of a president who is already under investigation for misuse of power and then he goes and pulls a stunt like this.

The answer would be 'not a whole lot and none of it is good'. It also chillingly demonstrates that there are no grown-ups left in the WH who can reign in this person who's clearly delusional  and completely unfit for office.

PS. Notice how even the 5th Ave Trump supporters seem to be staying away from this one.

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

She is next in the presidential succession order...

She'll name HRC as VP, then resign. Boom.

6 minutes ago, Becker said:

You would have to ask yourself what's going through the mind of a president

Fight or flight.

Gotta be tough for an NPD to be bared for the fraud which he is. 

16 minutes ago, Becker said:

You would have to ask yourself what's going through the mind of a president who is already under investigation for misuse of power and then he goes and pulls a stunt like this.

The answer would be 'not a whole lot and none of it is good'. It also chillingly demonstrates that there are no grown-ups left in the WH who can reign in this person who's clearly delusional  and completely unfit for office.

PS. Notice how even the 5th Ave Trump supporters seem to be staying away from this one.

Deflection I guess. Look I'm doing all these outrageous things in public. How bad can they be then if I'm not hiding it but actually crowing about it. Getting people used to this, you know, like frogs in boiling water. it's worked for him up till now. He's getting more extreme though. Nothing works forever, does it? 

Also keep in mind that his hard core base loves this kind of stuff. They do see it as a kind of trolling towards his opposition -- owning the libs as they say. That's a big thrill for them. That's in keeping with his methods since election -- ruling to please and entertain his base and to hell with everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Deflection I guess. Look I'm doing all these outrageous things in public. How bad can they be then if I'm not hiding it but actually crowing about it. Getting people used to this, you know, like frogs in boiling water. it's worked for him up till now. He's getting more extreme though. Nothing works forever, does it? 

I don't think there's an actual strategy at work here. He just seems to have completely lost it and, as I said, the grown-ups have all fled in horror so there's no one to correct this mental child.

1 minute ago, Becker said:

I don't think there's an actual strategy at work here. He just seems to have completely lost it and, as I said, the grown-ups have all fled in horror so there's no one to correct this mental child.

Probably not a conscious one but he does have a kind of natural talent for horribleness. He's kind of on automatic. Remember the debate -- HRC calling him a puppet of Putin. Then he says -- you're the puppet. He's being impeached and now he wants to impeach the people impeaching him but the trouble with that is that they aren't in impeachable offices. So these responses are ingrained in him by now. 

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well, if being a horrible president and person is a strategy then he certainly has one.

Well to his base what looks horrible to the majority of the country looks wonderful to them. They often speak of him in terms of worship. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well to his base what looks horrible to the majority of the country looks wonderful to them. They often speak of him in terms of worship. 

would you give the keys of your house to an arsonist firefighter? They would. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi will keep that venue after Trump and Pence had to leave the White house.

She is next in the presidential succession order...

https://www.newsweek.com/presidential-line-succession-nancy-pelosi-1278768

I think this is academic.

Pence may be worthy of impeachment and removal but that's just not going to happen.

The senate is in control of the removal part and I doubt the house will even bother to impeach him.

The dirty little secret that isn't a secret is that the majority of republican senators would prefer Pence as president to 45 anyway!

At this point it's too politically damaging to them to vote to remove 45, but that might change, and getting Pence as a replacement actually increases the chances for 45's removal. 

hes getting huge branding from hosting at the venue. just look at the sign on the article plugging the golf course.

this branding makes his properties much more valuable now and in the future. its similar to paying for a tv commercial. companies pay millions for this sort of stuff.

trump figures 'why waste an opportunity?'. thats money down the drain for his family run businesses. its like paying into a retirement account.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I think this is academic.

Pence may be worthy of impeachment and removal but that's just not going to happen.

The senate is in control of the removal part and I doubt the house will even bother to impeach him.

The dirty little secret that isn't a secret is that the majority of republican senators would prefer Pence as president to 45 anyway!

At this point it's too politically damaging to them to vote to remove 45, but that might change, and getting Pence as a replacement actually increases the chances for 45's removal. 

I think you’re right. Also, for Pelosi to become president based on line of succession, Trump and Pence would need to be removed from office virtually simultaneously, as “President Pence” would immediately name his own VP, who would themself then be next in line over the Speaker.

“President Pence.” Rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it. If it somehow happens, I feel he’ll be a completely impotent lame duck, unable to even get his own staff’s shoelaces tied, for a period of months only before the next general election.

4 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

He'll probably have Ivanka there, checking them in and taking deposits."

Wearing a provocative bathing suit from her business collection...taking orders from the ladies in attendance...

It's a business...1st and foremost.

????

Trump's Business 1st and foremost

"Trump frequently visits his properties — primarily in Florida, New Jersey and Virginia — and has traveled to them more than 300 times since he was sworn into office, according to a compilation of information released by the White House."

Trump has repeatedly denied that he is using the presidency to promote his resorts.

Just now, Puchaiyank said:

He'll probably have Ivanka there, checking them in and taking deposits."

Wearing a provocative bathing suit from her business collection...taking orders from the ladies in attendance...

It's a business...1st and foremost.

????

"Wearing a provocative bathing suit from her business collection..."

Well, that is sure to make her father all hot and bothered.

"It's a business...1st and foremost."

It's a presidency first and foremost. However, he (like you) completely fails to realize what is obvious even to a slow ten year old. .

17 minutes ago, quandow said:

It's coming to light that Trump is in the hole to the tune of ~$125,000,000.00 in loans on this property, and it's in the red for about 69% over the last 3 years due to the Trump brand becoming undesirable.

Undesirable? I think we can use a stronger word than that.

Link: Trump brand 'has become toxic' for some people, Forbes editor says

Link: Fox News' Andrew Napolitano: Hosting G-7 At Trump Resort Is 'Profound' Emoluments Breach

"Fox News legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano criticized President Donald Trump’s decision to host the next Group of Seven summit at his own golf resort in Miami as a “direct and profound” violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

Trump has “bought himself an enormous headache now” with his choice for next year’s summit, Napolitano explained Thursday on Fox Business. “This is about as direct and profound a violation of the emoluments clause as one could create.”"

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

He really is " the gift that gives on giving" isn't he?

Yes and just when you think he can't possibly say or do anything lower and/or more outrageous he proves us wrong. I do think of lot of his appeal for his fans is the sick entertainment value of watching that.

Archived