Nationwide: Immigration fines property owners/foreigners for not reporting whereabouts within 24 hours

webfact

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven’t stayed in a hotel in Thailand since all this mess started. My only trips away from my own place will now be out of the country. My first ever TM30 filing was done by post and my receipt took 6 weeks to arrive, by which time I’d already left again. I registered on the app, was approved after 6 weeks or so, and three months later still waiting for a username and PW. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes.

While you were away, the place you stayed reported it, so she has to file a TM30 to let them know you are back.

Of course, if you slept under a tree, no need to file when you get back as no one will have reported you as staying elsewhere.

It's so they know where you are.

When they start forcing farangs to wear trackers there will be no need for filing TM 30.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/658808705/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-under-their-skin

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

North Korea but with ladyboys and Elephants!

Well, they used to have ladyboys a long time ago, but they were ... er ... ah ... dealt with.

And the elephants were eaten!

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Because every IO has the discretionary power to relieve of as much as he can. If that discretion was taken away there’d be a single rule enforced and the IOs would be skint.

I bring my Thai immigration attorney with me and let them handle everything. Maybe this has some influence I don't know. My attorney said I only need to show passport, lease, bank book, bank letter, 3 photos and 1 TM30 receipt. I wasn't asked for anything else by immigration.

Got a friend with a small pick up truck, on which he installed a small pop up camper. Travels all over Thailand for days at a time, never stays at a hotel. Washes up in gas station bathrooms. comes hime to his wife, and no one knows he was gone. 

2 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Got a friend with a small pick up truck, on which he installed a small pop up camper. Travels all over Thailand for days at a time, never stays at a hotel. Washes up in gas station bathrooms. comes hime to his wife, and no one knows he was gone. 

We all do now

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

So let me get this straight. If I take one of my bike trips from CM to, say KK for a couple of days, when I come home, my wife has to file a TM 30, even though we have been living here for over 10 years? 

I just returned from a bike trip. As what the various immigration offices around the country require at present is quite confusing, I decided to go to Chiang Mai immigration and do a TM30, "just to be safe." The woman there who took care of this reported that filing a new TM30 wasn't necessary for travel around Thailand... It was only required if I leave the country and return.

This was of course welcome news! But it was only one person's take on things, and the next person in the same office might report differently tomorrow or next week or next month, while those in other immigration offices in other provinces may have completely different takes, all conflated in comments here from month to month to month.

The woman at immigration did give me a new TM30 report receipt, btw...

Interestingly I asked my local immigration office about this subject this very day as I have family coming to visit soon. As they will arrive on a Saturday I asked how I could report their staying with me within the 24 hour period, as the office is closed over the weekend, and I was told "not a problem, you've got five days to do it in".

45 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

I bring my Thai immigration attorney with me and let them handle everything. Maybe this has some influence I don't know. My attorney said I only need to show passport, lease, bank book, bank letter, 3 photos and 1 TM30 receipt. I wasn't asked for anything else by immigration.

Thai Immigration attorney? What for? A new TM30 report?

You must be from the US.

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

So let me get this straight. If I take one of my bike trips from CM to, say KK for a couple of days, when I come home, my wife has to file a TM 30, even though we have been living here for over 10 years? 

If you want to know the answer to that question, get out your Thailand Immigration Offices dart board, and start throwing darts to see where they hit...

As best as I can tell, some offices say you need to do TM30s for domestic and international travel -- anytime you're away from home for more than 24 hours. Other offices say you only need to do TM30s when you return to Thailand from abroad, and not for domestic travel.

But the common point is, if an IO decides to declare that you're not in compliance with THEIR TM30 requirements, they can fine you 800-1600 baht or more, and refuse to do a new annual extension of stay for you until you've paid the fine and updated your TM30.

Why on earth are you all still living there???
Comply or Leave...easy.
Its almost like a communist country of the 50s/60s.
Take your money out of Thailand and spend elsewhere [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

The latter is easier said than done. Tried to wire out some hard-earned money last week and received the highly professional reply: “too mut”. So I have to divide it into smaller amounts that they deem acceptable and submit one each day. This despite the fact that the minister of finance himself announced last week that in order to weaken the all-mighty Baht outward remittance requirements would be relaxed. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There might be a way around this for guys like me who like our bike trips. Small guest houses, who probably don't mess with TM 300's. Many of them aren't "legally registered in the first place, so they don't want the hassle. Easy to find out. Find one and ask them if they do. If they don't, cool. 

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

They are doing exactly that. They have a perfect plan how this is going to contribute to the welfare of many officers. ????

Did anybody really think they were going to do something that benefit the complainers? In that case, sad, sad, sad. 

Nothing to worry about. I always carry my TM30 receipt stuck to a page in my passport. Easy peasy!

Until you have to leave the country/province and then have a three hour return trip to your local IO to report that you're back, within 24 hours of a long journey. Don't mention the online registration, we're still waiting for confirmation. Never mind, you think it's "easy peasy", same as you do everytime someone complains on here about Thailand problems.

4 hours ago, Teee said:

Why on earth are you all still living there???

Comply or Leave...easy.

Its almost like a communist country of the 50s/60s.

Take your money out of Thailand and spend elsewhere ????????????

Perhaps he has a wife, maybe kids as well and doesn't want to abandon them, and like me, can't afford to run two places.

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I am here on a retirement visa (2nd year), have lived in the same location the entire time. I have left the country 3 times and travel all over Thailand for 2 and 3 night stays at hotels all the time that report my stay. When I recently renewed my retirement visa (in Bangkok) I was only asked to show 1 TM30 receipt that my landlord filed (over a year late) to validate my lease and no problems occurred. Why do so many other people have issues?

You tell us. I filed one TM30 a long time ago and have never been asked for one since until my last marriage extension a few weeks back at Jomtien, when I was made to go to the the desk and file another TM30 before they'd ok the extension. This I did ok because I haven't left the country since my first one. Just goes to show they can get you to do one out of the blue and if you aren't in compliance with the rules, they'll fine you.

3 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

Hang on a second - if I go out someplace, and decide to take a bed for the night rather than make my way home, alcohol infused in the early hours, am I supposed to file, even though I am back in my own place before 24 hours has elapsed? Just because I didn't sleep in my own bed? Is that correct?

But if I sleep next door with my neighbour.....

Well, you could be on a sticky wicket if the neighbour's husband/significant other is an immigration policeman working the night shift!

Archived