Retirees and medical insurance

webfact

6 hours ago, Oink said:

My understanding was that the requirement to keep 400,000 baht in the bank was to cover for medical emergencies.

That said, just try going into BPH without a credit card in your back pocket. Even if you have insurance they require you to pay first, then it is up to you to reclaim the cost from your insurer so no chance of them being left with unpaid bills.

Not with my insurance.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Oink said:

My understanding was that the requirement to keep 400,000 baht in the bank was to cover for medical emergencies.

Although a few have made that claim to me, simply because the amounts match, I have never seen it formally stated by immigration. And since the money has to remain untouched, that just doesn't seem likely. Unless they expect you to have your simple medical treatment (as 400,000 won't cover much), then get out of Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, essox essox said:

same me in 2006 I had a stay in Bangkok Patts 6 nights insurance paid out on my leaving ON A SUNDAY....cost was 155k

Those of us with health insurance (non-Thai) that covers us in Thailand are very fortunate, especially as mentioned, those of us that the Hospital will direct bill -- in my case, Bangkok Pattaya 5+weeks with 4 in ICU in Jan/Feb this year - bill was 2.7 million baht which was covered 100% (probably a little less than 2 million if I had been paying as they charge insurance company more then what they charge if you are paying).

As mentioned, the private hospitals want their money up front (even with insurance that they can direct bill, they want a deposit before treatment begins -- returned once they receive the ins. co.'s guarantee to cover although it is my understanding, in emergency cases, they will stabilize the patient and send them to Gov't hospital if they can't pay.  This issue with unpaid hospital bills relates to Gov't hospitals, not private hospitals.  Since they are subsidized, unpaid bills do have an impact on the Thai public health system.  This was ostensibly the reason put forth by the Ministry of Health when they asked the Cabinet to approve the health insurance requirement for O-A Visa back in April.  But, as many have mentioned on various threads, unpaid hospital bills most likely were caused by tourists and not long stay expat retirees.   Too bad they just didn't come up with a system for retirees that simply denied them continued stay if they had unpaid bills to Gov't hospitals as an incentive to pay them.

18 hours ago, Oink said:

This was never the case. Just something TV members came up with.

If it were intended to pay for medical costs it would be structured differently and would apply equally to people using the income method.

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

same me in 2006 I had a stay in Bangkok Patts 6 nights insurance paid out on my leaving ON A SUNDAY....cost was 155k

That was 13 years ago?

How did you prove to the hospital the insurance company paid? 

Bank transfers, particularly international bank transfers, take time, even on a weekday. 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, Jingthing said:
On 10/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Lacessit said:

I did my extension this morning at CM Immigration. Health insurance was not mentioned.

Why would it be?

Because come the next extension the extender would need to know up front. The immigration are informing of changes for bank balances for next extension but not for insurance as it is only needed when applying for O-A visa, not extending them as explained in police order on the imm web site.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This was never the case. Just something TV members came up with.

If it were intended to pay for medical costs it would be structured differently and would apply equally to people using the income method.

You're exactly correct. Immigration never mentioned that 400K in the bank account as having anything to do with covering medical costs. In fact, the policies are actually counter to that. Go one baht under that even for a medical emergency and your chance to extend the next time is ruined. 

When they bring in compulsory insurance for retirement visas / extensions, I doubt the perpetual 400,000 baht in the bank rule will disappear, so the question will still remain, what is the purpose of this 400,000 baht? 

Answer is, it's a forced free loan to Thai banks. 

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

When they bring in compulsory insurance for retirement visas / extensions, I doubt the perpetual 400,000 baht in the bank rule will disappear, so the question will still remain, what is the purpose of this 400,000 baht? 

Answer is, it's a forced free loan to Thai banks. 

I think it's for extenuating circumstances: Meaning, if they need to ask you to leave, or settle a bill or whatever, they know you have the funds to do so. Sort of like a Bond, if you will, only you get to personally manage it.

4 minutes ago, mosan said:

I think it's for extenuating circumstances: Meaning, if they need to ask you to leave, or settle a bill or whatever, they know you have the funds to do so. //

How could they know? There is no indication in your passport that you used the 800k method, the 65k/month method, the Embassy Letter method or the "agent" method. I am not even sure if this information is in their computer...? In fact I think it's not registered anywhere.

For the last 3 methods you may have (nearly) zero money in Thailand.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:37 PM, sfokevin said:

meant Non O... My bet is that they will eventually no longer issue a visa from any embassy or consul for the purposes of retirement without proof of insurance!... Then weed out the extension holders by attrition... which they can facilitate

My bet is that by early 2020 Non O holders would could by insurance on the spot, i.e., IO when there for next extension.....its just about ???? inbound????

6 hours ago, mosan said:

I think it's for extenuating circumstances: Meaning, if they need to ask you to leave, or settle a bill or whatever, they know you have the funds to do so. Sort of like a Bond, if you will, only you get to personally manage it.

You are assuming someone would not pay a bill, but keep the 400,000 baht in the bank. 

If one was broke, they would spend the 400,000 baht, so where's the "bond" as you call it gone?

On 10/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, Leaver said:

You can own 10 houses, 5 condos, 3 cars, 6 motorbikes, a business, and have a Thai wife and 3 children here, but you have no more rights than someone flying in on a 30 day visa exemption stamp. 

Interesting summary and pretty true statement 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, Leaver said:

Only a matter of time before insurance will be required for a retirement visa or extension. 

They are compulsory, junk policies, designed to make certain Thai's even more wealthy, who have financial interests in the companies accredited to issue the policies.  

Basically, just another scam on foreigners.   

Guaranteed to happen in my opinion.  Even if the expat has good global insurance that covers him in Thailand but not bought in Thailand, it seems to be exceptionally hard to prove he has such insurance.  Some words about a certificate, that needs two big wigs signature. 

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

They really are working very hard to kill the golden goose. 

It is only affecting Expats on O-As and rumoured for retirement extensions, people in their 'Golden Years' are not so much a golden egg as a duck egg. The banks might miss the 800,000's..... and the housing market will suffer... but Thais will happily buy up super cheap places, or claim abandoned ones. 

18 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

My bet is that by early 2020 Non O holders would could by insurance on the spot, i.e., IO when there for next extension.....its just about ???? inbound????

:wacko:

Sorry guys; No intention to give English language lessons (I am a French!) but could you please make an effort to try to write correctly?... The message above seems to be in an English so bad (to me) that I can barely understand it :sad:

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is only affecting Expats on O-As and rumoured for retirement extensions, people in their 'Golden Years' are not so much a golden egg as a duck egg. The banks might miss the 800,000's..... and the housing market will suffer... but Thais will happily buy up super cheap places, or claim abandoned ones. 

Only a matter of time before compulsory insurance is introduced for retirement / extensions. 

As I have said, once you are past 70, you are past your used by date for the Thai's.  No money in that age demographic.  They will do their best to squeeze them out, and reclaim their assets.

The Thai banks will miss the 800,000's, which will be welcomed by nearby countries.

The housing market will take a big hit, particularly the condo market.  Not sure if Thai's will go property shopping, because, who is going to rent their new purchase, and if upgrading, how can they sell their previous property?

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

:wacko:

Sorry guys; No intention to give English language lessons (I am a French!) but could you please make an effort to try to write correctly?... The message above seems to be in an English so bad (to me) that I can barely understand it :sad:

The member believes that in the future you will be buying your insurance, annually, at ever extension renewal, at the Immigration Office. 

It will be bought at the same time as obtaining your extension.

I agree, this could easily happen. 

what sense it would make Healthinsurance for 0/a at embassys, but not for exension of stay here ??

NONE

so can be sure it is comming to all "O" visas , even soon  standrad O O/multi will be cancelld

....but typically thai its made only for making money, not for solving the problem.

First unpayed hospital bils are only 7,5mb USD or per person/traveller 12 thb,and they not only from holders of o,o/a and so on. could easy be coverd from a fund

Whats with the thing they done to test in udon thani , aprox 10 year ago. LOngterm stayers on extension could enter the social health care scheme at this time . It failed, due to much to low  fees and to old insured person

But that would be the best way , if a fair rate would be implied, and people are coverd ,and people want a better healthcare can use optional there private insurance.

at this time 10yr ago , i wonder why they not introduce nationwide, but at a higher rate,what would solve the problem  already 10 yr ago

but thais areeeeeee talkingggggggggg ,and talkinggggg, with never ending strange results ( ok not only thais the brits can do to)

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

The housing market will take a big hit, particularly the condo market.  Not sure if Thai's will go property shopping, because, who is going to rent their new purchase, and if upgrading, how can they sell their previous property?

I have 2 friends who recently sold condos... (both deciding they didn't need them and will rent IF they ever return to visit)... seems like somebody still buying them. Houses, can't give them away, cos can't properly own them. 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:06 PM, jacko45k said:

I have 2 friends who recently sold condos... (both deciding they didn't need them and will rent IF they ever return to visit)... seems like somebody still buying them. Houses, can't give them away, cos can't properly own them. 

You can't properly own the land a condo sits on, either.

Did they sell for a profit? 

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

You can't properly own the land a condo sits on, either.

Did they sell for a profit? 

Well yes, but only because they made out on a weak home currency.... they were below what they paid in Thai baht terms. Brought in baht at 59.... sold out at 39....

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well yes, but only because they made out on a weak home currency.... they were below what they paid in Thai baht terms. Brought in baht at 59.... sold out at 39....

That would have certainly effected their profits, but in the current conditions, they were very lucky to find buyers. 

Archived