Looking for a new area to live

Kenny202

Been living in Khon Kaen for 4 years now. Good big modern city, has everything but a bit too big and congested. Very compact and concentrated. We have kids so we have to drive everywhere in the car and traffic here is abhorrent. It's gotten that way it is nearly unpleasant to go out. Seems to be very hot here too. very featureless place as far as nature goes.

So we're looking for a place maybe a little slower place, a bit more spread out and easier to move around whilst still having most of the conveniences (Makro, Big C, Tesco).

My wife has a fast food western restaurant (mainly Thai customers0 as well which does well and we would like to relocate so the area would need to be a bit more modern type people. Maybe a big uni?

I lived in Chaiyaphum before, ticked most of the boxes including nice places to go....waterfalls, mountains etc. City was great and easy to move around. But Chaiyaphum very rural and I don't think the restaurant would do well there. 

Would appreciate any ideas from people living in other areas. Ubon sounds ok. I have also been to Nakhon Panom briefly and it seemed nice. Kalasin? Mahasarakham?

I like Isaan and would probably like to stay here. Any advice appreciated

Try Ubon Ratchathani. Has an airport, three universities, Makros, Big Cs, Tescos (note the plurals), Central Plaza, swimming pools. Easy to get around town and to get out into the countryside. Has waterfalls out towards the Lao and Cambodian border areas.  Easy drive up to Mukdahan and out to the Mekong river at Chong Mek. Lots of nature. I agree with your comments about Khon Kaen. I lived there from 1974-1980. 

7 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I lived there from 1974-1980. 

Wow. That would be interesting life for caucasion then.

Do you have photo? Interesting to see if you want to share.

Hi, I live in Ban Phai, about 40km south of Khon Kaen. There is a Big C in town as well as Global. No traffic problem like in KK. Nice swimming pool available, that includes a kids pool as well. When I do need to go to a bigger city I'll go to Khon Kaen. Just 30 mins away. 

Archived