BANGKOK
krey

advice to stay a little longer

Hello Everyone

So I have been on the Thai Elite for the last 5 years.  I have not been here the full five years but Thailand (Chiang Mai the last 3 years) has been my home basically with visits to Canada to see the family every year.  Well The Elite Visa is expiring in Feb 2020.  I do not plan to renew it at the point.  Decided it is time to head back to Canada for a while to be with my family and give Thailand a break for a while.

However, I prefer not to head back to Canada in the dead of winter, rather go back in April or May so I am looking to extend my stay here in Chiang Mai just a little bit longer, hopefully 3 or 4 months.  I was looking for suggestions on doing so.  I was thinking leaving to a neighboring country (please suggest from Chiang Mai) get a 30 day then extend it at the local immigration for another 30 days.  I then here you can do this one more time in a calendar year, so I would leave again, get 30 day and extend it at local immigration.  Then by that time it will be warmer and I can head on back to Canada.

I been out of the Visa game for a while since I been on the Elite so am looking for suggestions on how best to extend my stay, which countries would be best to go to as I know some are problematic with visas or of course a better way to extend it.

Thanks all

If you re enter before your Elite visa expires you get another year, so about 6 in total

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Perhaps others will confirm, but I read that the elite offers 1 year *per entry* meaning that if you depart and return immediately prior to the expiration of the visa, you will be stamped for 1 additional year. In this way, the 5 year can be extended to almost 6 years in practice.

• Thanks 1

What is the latest opinion on a border bounce just prior to the expiry of a Thailand Elite Easy Access visa? Do you get a fresh one-year stay?

Generally suggested border crossings from Chiang Mai are Mae Sai (no visa required to enter Myanmar and go straight back to Thailand, only a border pass) or Chiang Khong (Laos visa on arrival necessary for most nationalities). If going to Chiang Khong, you can save money by having clean, undamaged US dollar notes to pay for the visa. 

Take a relaxing weekend in Saigon. Direct flights CM/SAIGON and cheap. That extends your elite.

Being Canadian you will need a visa to Vietnam Easy done online. 

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you re enter before your Elite visa expires you get another year, so about 6 in total

yeah I thought about this as well as it was something that was talked about several times.  When I brought it up with Thai Elite they said that this would not work, that my visa expires  Feb 2020 and thats it, I can't do a slip out and come back just before it expires.    At least that is what the last two reps have said to me. I would love to hear if someone has actually extended to the 6 year somehow as an actual fact.  They told me that I would not get a one year stamp but instead it would be a stamp up to the day of my expired visa date

Edited by krey

1 hour ago, krey said:

They told me that I would not get a one year stamp but instead it would be a stamp up to the day of my expired visa date

I think you need to check the Elite website, PDS and give the reps or a manager a good questioning. Perhaps a quiet talk to an IO in an immigration office.

My research shows different. PM sent.

Edited by UncleMhee

1 hour ago, krey said:

When I brought it up with Thai Elite they said that this would not work, that my visa expires  Feb 2020 and thats it, I can't do a slip out and come back just before it expires.    At least that is what the last two reps have said to me.

Of course this is what they say, because they want to sell a new membership after 5 years instead of 6.

In most cases the membership expires shortly before the visa expires. If you should enter in this period it would be a grey area.

If you enter while your membership is still active the rules are clear, you will get a permission to stay for a year. The official rules: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%A402/%A402-2e-2556-a0005.htm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krey said:

yeah I thought about this as well as it was something that was talked about several times.  When I brought it up with Thai Elite they said that this would not work, that my visa expires  Feb 2020 and thats it, I can't do a slip out and come back just before it expires.    At least that is what the last two reps have said to me. I would love to hear if someone has actually extended to the 6 year somehow as an actual fact.  They told me that I would not get a one year stamp but instead it would be a stamp up to the day of my expired visa date

Several people are already on the 6th year from their PE visa.

I think Thai Elite is giving out some false info to encourage people to get a new 5 year membership.

• Like 2

so just to understand here

Lets say I have a Expiry date of Feb 1 2020

I leave on January 25th and come back on January 27th

I have a new year stamp that states I can stay in the kingdom until Jan 27 2021

However I have an expired Thai Elite Visa of Feb 1 2020

So it ok to be here on an expired visa, I guess the year stamp and the actual visa get me a little confused on how it works and what is considered correct.

Because I much rather leave before my expiry date and come back and get a year stamp that would give me a lot more time obviously to get things in order ( I presume you can't leave at all during that last year as once you come back it would be completely void the visa that is)

Thanks guys for helping me out

9 minutes ago, krey said:

so just to understand here

Lets say I have a Expiry date of Feb 1 2020

I leave on January 25th and come back on January 27th

I have a new year stamp that states I can stay in the kingdom until Jan 27 2021

However I have an expired Thai Elite Visa of Feb 1 2020

So it ok to be here on an expired visa, I guess the year stamp and the actual visa get me a little confused on how it works and what is considered correct.

Because I much rather leave before my expiry date and come back and get a year stamp that would give me a lot more time obviously to get things in order ( I presume you can't leave at all during that last year as once you come back it would be completely void the visa that is)

Thanks guys for helping me out

What counts is the entry stamp with the 1 year permission of stay not the date on the visa. If you need to travel during that period you will need a re-entry permit to maintain the permission of stay on your stamp since the visa is expired. 

Edited by Tayaout

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

What counts is the entry stamp with the 1 year permission of stay not the date on the visa. If you need to travel during that period you will need a re-entry permit to maintain the permission of stay on your stamp since the visa is expired. 

wow so I can even leave and come back as long as I get a re entry permit as well.  Looks like a trip out of the country is in order than so I can get this 1 year stamp, that will definitely take me into the summer Canada months.

if anyone on the Elite has actually done the 6th year I would love to talk to you about it.

yeah i read quite a few posts seems to be a lot of back and forth on if it actually worked.I just talked to Elite again was a bit more aggressive on my chat now they are saying yes it is possible I might get another 365 days but it would be up to the immigration officer, some might not give it ha:) now I am starting to remember why I went to the Elite in the first place, to get away from all this randomness and uncertainty, it was a good stress free 5 years anyway:)

• Haha 1