Thinner on visor not good

bankruatsteve

My wife's helmet visor ended up getting some paint flecks on it (don't know how).  Nothing I could find around the house for cleaning worked so I put some thinner on a rag (yup, dumb idea) and sure enough, got the paint flecks off.  After wiping a few of them off, I could see the error immediately but thought it would clean up.  NOT. 

Does anybody have method, chemical, or whatever to undo the reaction the thinner had with the visor material (makes it look like a dense fog)?

Cheers

Some cheap local car polish in a tube. I've got a toothpaste sized tube from Indo called Carerra I've used it to polish visors. You could also try WAXY from 7-Eleven. Neither will effect plastic as such.

Waxy and bicarbonate of soda can be used to polish plastic headlamps on cars.

As you now know one has to be careful with oils, solvents and plastics. I know this from a few years spent messing with plastic Scalextric cars.

Sadly your solvent may have gone deeper than the surface. Last resort some expensive Tamiya plastic polish.

Thanks for the good tips.  Alas, it looks like a new visor will be the solution though.  After Crossy mentioned toothpaste, I made a paste of baking soda (my mom's version of alternative toothpaste) and that looked like it was working at first.  But, after rinsing off, the visor is still a smeary mess.  I even tried a crunchier version of the paste, trying to work it in, and then let sit for an hour but to no avail.

Now, to find a replacement visor.

I did try the toothpaste first on a small area and that also seemed to help at first but after rinsing and dry the haze came right back.  And I just tried it again with a good firm polish but after drying it's back to aagh.

Cheers.

Oh well, evidently the damage is deeper than just surface. I've successfully removed scratches from the car window film (Madam's ring) with toothpaste and a rag.

Time to go visor shopping methiks ????

Archived