Chiang Mai - Doi Pui and down to Huay tung tao

happysoul

Hello,

Was thinking of riding with a road bike with slicks up Doi Suthep, Doi Pui (maybe not the top top but near) and back down to Huay Tung Tao. Is it doable now, how is the road ? I've driven it with a pick-up 11 years ago but cannot remember how the road was. I remember it was a dirt road but not how good or bad it was.

Do you know how it is now ? Has it suffered lately from rain ? Do you think I'm crazy to even think about riding it with a road bike ?

Thanks in advance for your input, cheers

Edit : talking about cycling, bike is one with pedals, not the one like my avatar 

150 views and nothing... well guess not much people cycling in CM are reading this forum... Wonder if they share things online somewhere else ?

So finally did the Samoeng loop clockwise. Nice loop but some tough climbs for a beginner moderate rider.

Still interested in the answer to my questions about the Doi Pui loop as I will have to bring the car back for service soon.

Happy rides !

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've done it a few times, mountain bike only, rough, rutted, rocks and slippery mud.

A road bike wouldn't have a chance.

Probably not even on a gravel bike.

Thanks for the answer. Conforts me in my Samoeng loop choice. Might do it again next time or go in direction of Doi Saket. Cheers!

Just now, happysoul said:

Thanks for the answer. Conforts me in my Samoeng loop choice. Might do it again next time or go in direction of Doi Saket. Cheers!

You should do the mon Chairm loop in Mae Rim.

Follow the road up, then south and East back to Mae Rim, very little traffic going up.

Very popular with Thai cyclists on a Sunday morning, big groups leaving from the 7-11 just before the turn-off at 7am-7:30am.

mon chairm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, BritManToo said:

I've done it a few times, mountain bike only, rough, rutted, rocks and slippery mud.

A road bike wouldn't have a chance.

Probably not even on a gravel bike.

I just saw this post;
I did this circuit a few times;
as written above, impossible to do with a road bike except to go to the top of Doi Pui; then it is mandatory MTB, even a gravel as written above will be unlikely to pass.

and then on the descent you have to read the thai or have a very sharp sense of direction because there are a few bifurcations, paths that go a little in every sense ...

I had made this descent in 2005, the way was almost impassable; in any case not even passable with a 4x4;
since then it has greatly improved because a travel agency in Chiang Mai organizes mountain bike tours;
they climb to the top in a vehicle that contains the MTBikes and the people who will use them then make the descent in group ..

This is not my conception of the bike; before going down a beautiful hill, I first climbed it by bike.
The climb up to Doi Suthep is quite easy; it is then, until the summit of Doi Pui that it gates a little, higher percentage and especially tarred road in perfect state but very narrow before arriving at the village and market of the minorities; it is a fake village for tourists.
Motorists are always very impatient because they can not overtake you in the climb, the road is really very narrow; do not let yourself be dismounted and continue your climb without taking care of these malotrus.
After the village is very quiet unless an imprudent with his sedan or pickup trying to go further;
he will be served and will look for a long time how to turn around ...:cheesy:

Some photos I shot when doing this loop with a friend in 2014, so 9 years after the first one ...

P3182219_Chiang_Mai_going_to_Huay_Tung_Tao_lake.thumb.jpg.ee3eb48f370111cd7958651c3ef5b9c8.jpg

P3182222_Chiang_Mai_going_to_Huay_Tung_Tao_lake.thumb.jpg.db02502528c5f1d416d3184ae85c12e1.jpg

P3182232_Chiang_Mai_going_to_Huay_Tung_Tao_lake.thumb.jpg.20d70d3527b4d1bb8343560dce441017.jpg

P3182234_Chiang_Mai_going_to_Huay_Tung_Tao_lake.thumb.jpg.c26d9107690db36b7884632e29d2c17f.jpg

P3182236_Chiang_Mai_Huay_Tung_Tao_lake.thumb.jpg.12347d58f6096f1d133e86e39b384815.jpg

Archived