PLEASE TELL ME: Why, Oh, Why...Do I have ZERO Complaints about Living in Chiang Mai?

MisterBleach

You might have your thoughts, as all men do, but my thought is that I have found paradise.

Every minute I am here in Chiang Mai is a blessing.

Every minute, I tell you!

And, just to emphasize my thinking concerning the importance of this, I suggest you listen to the Doobie Brothers, "Minute by Minute", while you contemplate just how lucky we are.  Here is the link:  

I presume that we are not here to contemplate our navels, but instead to contemplate the meaning of life, or our former lives, and to be thankful for life, which is unique here on Earth, and not necessarily present elsewhere in the universe.

OK.

I am just saying that we should all be thankful for the privilege of being able to live in Chiang Mai.

Also, I ask you: Have you ever heard a better tune than, "Minute by Minute"?

And, when I first heard this tune, I was not in Chiang Mai, very unfortunately.  I was somewhere, out at sea.

Thank you for any pertinent and polite comments.

Let's all love Chiang Mai, and always keep in mind that we are fortunate to be here....TRULY we are!

Best to you all.

Life is not so easy as you might have originally assumed.

Life has its ups and downs, usually.

But, in Chiang Mai, life is mostly up, up, and away.

It's easy to keep one's spirits up in Chiang Mai, and you better believe this is true, because it IS true.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I love Chiang Mai also, but couldn’t live there due to the nasty air pollution ... maybe you like wearing a mask half the year?

What, dares the slave

Come hither, cover'd with an antic face,

To fleer and scorn at our solemnity?

I like CM for the occasional visit. But, with the air issues several months of the year, and the massive congestion and traffic due to overdevelopment, and a total lack of traffic mitigation, it is a pale shadow of the city it used to be. I do not think I could live there, but I applaud you for your attitude, and your degree of contentment. That is a beautiful thing. Whether or not CM is paradise can be debated. But, with your attitude you are creating a paradise. 

I do like how progressive it is. It is perhaps the most progressive city in the nation. Alot of creativity there, the youth are cool, the food is good, good bakeries, alot of organic and veggie cuisine, etc. 

Not unlike me, many residents of Chiang Mai have lived in foreign climes.  And so, they know that by comparison, Chiang Mai has very few negative aspects that we can think of.

For example, let's just pick two cities at random:

Naples, Florida, USA

Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia (on the Persian Gulf)

As you know, Naples was built by American developers.  And, Ras Tanura was built by ARAMCO.

Having been in both places, I would say that both places are very similar in that they lack any identifiable traditional culture of any value, other than sand, and more sand.

Chiang Mai, on the other hand, definitely does have a culture which has endured for hundreds of years.

And so, if one is someone like I, who prefers culture over sand, then Chiang Mai is far preferable. 

The beaches on Ras Tanura are overrated, just as the bathing beauties in Naples are far too plump.

And so, I would prefer to be in Chiang Mai where no one walks around in bathing attire.

All I can definitely say is that we can all thank our lucky stars that we are here in Chiang Mai, and not in Naples, Florida or in Ras Tanura.

No need to take my word for it.

Please feel free to visit these other two cities and decide for yourselves.

Great that you enjoy it. Appears even you are shocked. Not surprised it's a forgotten backwater that lives on by a few old temples and a tired tourist destination. Hot, smoky and dull. The best university it musters is CM. Teaching positions pay half that in Bangkok. It's 1000s of km away from the OCEAN. Property values are more askew than BKK.

I don't know why you like it, you do. Simple tastes, low expectations? The comfort in unsophisticated people?

3 minutes ago, Doge said:

Great that you enjoy it. Appears even you are shocked. Not surprised it's a forgotten backwater that lives on by a few old temples and a tired tourist destination. Hot, smoky and dull. The best university it musters is CM. Teaching positions pay half that in Bangkok. It's 1000s of km away from the OCEAN. Property values are more askew than BKK.

I don't know why you like it, you do. Simple tastes, low expectations? The comfort in unsophisticated people?

Yes, your are correct.  This is why we love Chiang Mai.

And, this is why we will never leave.

Of course, I have very high expectations, and, fortunately, Chiang Mai has med every one.

This is why I have ZERO complaints about Chiang Mai, as I clearly stated above.

At this time, I would like to mention that this is a matter of taste.

Those with good taste will know that what I have stated above is true.

And those with different tastes will disagree.

Still, all are welcome in Chiang Mai because....very fortunately.....Chiang Mai is a city which is located at a central geographical position where many countries would meet, if they could.  Chiang Mai is at the center, and everybody knows it.

Chiang Mai is a great city.

I am sure that most people love it as do I.

And, I DO love it.

54 minutes ago, Doge said:

I don't know why you like it, you do. Simple tastes, low expectations?

He compares it with living in Saudi Arabia.... low expectations indeed.

Although I am very fond of CM, and the mountains and parks outside of the city. 

After further thought, I have dredged up one thing that I do not much like about Chiang Mai which I will share here:

I have noticed that there seems to be a marked influx of pigeons roosting all over the place

I must admit that I don't like pigeons.

I don't like their cooing.

I also detest their droppings.

But, there is a solution to the pigeon problem in Chiang Mai.

The best solution would be to eat them.

We could eat them as if they were pheasants.

In other words, instead of having pheasant under glass, we could have pigeon under glass.

All birds taste basically the same, and pigeons in Chiang Mai are plentiful.

Here is a recipe:

But, you would need to first catch a Brace of Pigeons, which would be a good thing, I think.

Chiang Mai PIGEONS UNDER GLASS for four

Wild Rice Stuffing
2 c. cooked wild rice
1/2 c. dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
2 scallions, minced
2 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
2 T. butter
1 large shallot, minced
4 -5 cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
juice of half a lemon
2 large dried morel mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
1 c. white wine
2 T. cognac
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 T. heavy cream
1 t. chicken demi-glace
1 t. cornstarch mixed with 1 T. water
s&p

Lay the birds on one side and place in a hot 400° oven for 15 minutes. Turn the birds to the other side and roast for another 15 minutes. Turn the birds on their backs and roast for 30 minutes more. Remove and set aside. Pour off accumulated fat in the pan, reserve the pan's brown bits for deglazing for the sauce. While the birds are roasting make the sauce: sauté the shallots, the morel strips and the sliced cremini mushrooms in 2 T. butter until soft. Remove from pan. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and 3/4 c. of the wine (the rest of the wine is for deglazing the roasting pan). Reduce liquid to 3/4 cup. Stir in the cream, lemon juice, cognac, chicken demi-glace, Tabasco, mix well and bring up to the boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken. Return the reserved mushroom mixture to the sauce. When the birds are out of the oven, deglaze the roasting pan with the remaining 1/4 c. white wine, stir this into the sauce.

Other than the pigeons, I have no complaints about Chiang Mai.

2 hours ago, MisterBleach said:

At this time, I would like to mention that this is a matter of taste.

Those with good taste will know that what I have stated above is true.

And those with different tastes will disagree.

Still, all are welcome in Chiang Mai because....very fortunately.....Chiang Mai is a city which is located at a central geographical position where many countries would meet, if they could.  Chiang Mai is at the center, and everybody knows it.

Chiang Mai is a great city.

I am sure that most people love it as do I.

And, I DO love it.

hope you love the taste of respiratory disease. come back with a post about all your love once it sets in. deal ? 

you sir are a master.

The worst air quality in the world...worse than India and China...during the months long rice field burnings.

4.1 magnitude earthquake in last 24 hours.

Signs posted around the city..."Get rid of beer bars...take Chiang Mai back".

Favorite destination of Chinese.

I have more if needed...????

I wish I DID NOT LIVE HERE, but I don't have much choice.

15 years and every year I dislike it more, I have some very good friends that I have made down the years but the burning season negates all that.

Why do I stay.    HOSPITALS. and I am very thankful that we have some good ones here.

Outside of the very expensive Bangkok area they are pretty good and reasonably priced.

In the last week my wife and I have been to Klaimore Chiang Mai Ram, Suan Dork and Bangkok Hospital for various ailments which I won't go into.

We are both pretty unwell right now, nothing to do with the weather I may add.....that one is there and maybe looming, but normally we don't suffer (well not visually)

It's costing a lot but we are both pretty unwell at the moment and need sorting out.

I am back off to CMR in 20 minutes.

I am happy for Mr.Bleach and I hope that the shine does not wear off as it has done for us.

4 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I wish I DID NOT LIVE HERE, but I don't have much choice.

15 years and every year I dislike it more, I have some very good friends that I have made down the years but the burning season negates all that.

Why do I stay.    HOSPITALS. and I am very thankful that we have some good ones here.

Outside of the very expensive Bangkok area they are pretty good and reasonably priced.

In the last week my wife and I have been to Klaimore Chiang Mai Ram, Suan Dork and Bangkok Hospital for various ailments which I won't go into.

We are both pretty unwell right now, nothing to do with the weather I may add.....that one is there and maybe looming, but normally we don't suffer (well not visually)

It's costing a lot but we are both pretty unwell at the moment and need sorting out.

I am back off to CMR in 20 minutes.

I am happy for Mr.Bleach and I hope that the shine does not wear off as it has done for us.

You are correct, I believe, that one of the best places for good medical care is Thailand, and specifically Chiang Mai.

The cost is comparatively low, and the care is good if one chooses wisely. 

I hope that you will receive the medical care that you require.

Just as in any other setting, one should do proper research before choosing one's physician or surgeon.

Being in need of medical care is extremely stressful.

I hope that you receive the best of care.

Presumably you are new to Chiang Mai. I think you will find it better than most places in Thailand, but I doubt you will be so gushing after a few years when the honeymoon  is over. The air is obviously the big problem, so make another post mid March and see if you still feel the same. Public transportation is also a problem, as is the traffic, unless you can get by with just a motorcycle. Other than that though it is pretty OK. I enjoyed my time there, don't miss it now though.

7 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Man thats some happy pills OPs popping.

No, not really, sir or madame.

In fact, at the time I first arrived in Chiang Mai, I instantly knew that this is the place for me.

I also knew, almost instantly, that this is the place where I want to live to my limit, and then die gracefully.

Chiang Mai is better than any city in which I have ever lived, including cities such as Montreal and London, and also Dubuque, Iowa, for that matter.

I have never lived in New York City, which is probably superior to Chiang Mai, but I am not so sure that NYC has better food than Chiang Mai.

Yes, you are correct that being in Chiang Mai makes me happy.

However, I never pop pills to get happy.

Why?

I enjoy getting out and being productive, and enjoying all that Chiang Mai has to offer.

There is no need to pop pills, for sure.

For sure.

The secret of success and the secret of happiness for anyone who lives in Chiang Mai is:

One should contribute one's time to trying to improve what exists.

This is the secret of happiness for anyone, anywhere.

Just try to improve your world.......

And then, you will feel no further need for happy pills.

When I first came to live in Chiang Mai 30 years ago,

you could call it Paradise,now not so much,over 

development,massive increase in traffic and people,

the pollution which gets worse every year,with no

sign of improvement,as the Government are not 

taking it serious enough,leaf blowers are not a solution.

regards Worgeordie

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When I first came to live in Chiang Mai 30 years ago,

you could call it Paradise,now not so much,over 

development,massive increase in traffic and people,

the pollution which gets worse every year,with no

sign of improvement,as the Government are not 

taking it serious enough,leaf blowers are not a solution.

regards Worgeordie

Things change.  Life is change.

However, life here in Chiang Mai is far better than anywhere else.

Buildings will be built, and will destroy our view,  No one likes this.

However, please look on the bright side of things.  And please consider that we are not at risk for being washed away by sea level rise.  And yet, we are at risk of smoke from forest fire as you mention.  Also, do you REALLY want to return to the places where you existed before you came to Chiang Mai?  I do not.  (For example: many people here once lived in Hong Kong.  Do you really want to return to Hong Kong, these days?  I think not.  And so, if not Chiang Mai....  then where?  Do you want to move to Patagonia and live in a very cold rain forest, for example?  Patagonia, as everybody knows, is one of the most beautiful places still present on our lonely planet.   So....what do you want?  Do you want me to say that I would rather be in Patagonia instead of being in Chiang Mai???    This will never happen.

Archived