PLEASE TELL ME: Why, Oh, Why...Do I have ZERO Complaints about Living in Chiang Mai?

MisterBleach

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Added to all that, I have the pleasure of observing trim butts and sleek legs in the shopping malls, with a very low incidence of lardasses.

On my weekly expedition to Airport mall I always walked around on the lowest level where the trendy clothing stalls are. Ground zero for delightful totty. The Chinese influence gives C M girls great legs. In Pattaya too many have chicken legs so not as good for burd watching.

Swenson's had a DDG waitress, but regretfully she moved on.

Sadly, the days when Thai girls were all slim have vanished and the preponderance of "heavy" girls seemed to increase every time I went to town.

The other thing that is changing is that where once Thai girls were quite happy to be appreciated for their looks, there is now the occasional scowl in return. Not as bad as in the west by any means, but getting there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On my weekly expedition to Airport mall I always walked around on the lowest level where the trendy clothing stalls are. Ground zero for delightful totty. The Chinese influence gives C M girls great legs. In Pattaya too many have chicken legs so not as good for burd watching.

Swenson's had a DDG waitress, but regretfully she moved on.

Sadly, the days when Thai girls were all slim have vanished and the preponderance of "heavy" girls seemed to increase every time I went to town.

The other thing that is changing is that where once Thai girls were quite happy to be appreciated for their looks, there is now the occasional scowl in return. Not as bad as in the west by any means, but getting there.

funny you said that.  A thai woman scowled at me yesterday in line at 711.  I did set my two bottles of pepsi max on the counter, but kept them as far as possible from her package of noodles.  That is a quite common practice here though...especially with 5 employees and one open register.  She was kind of cute.  I kind of discounted it, when I saw her ID...a teacher.  One reason I avoid shopping on Saturdays, all the civil servants are out of their cages.  The feminazi militant dyke movement is picking up steam in BKK, where I live, but likely headquartered in CM.  I had just showered and hadnt had my first beer....maybe I didnt give her enough of a stare.  There is a lot of truth to them sensing that you have been active, and I had just returned from a nice hotel date with the GF an hour away.  Maybe she is practicing to be an IO.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, MisterBleach said:

In fact, at the time I first arrived in Chiang Mai, I instantly knew that this is the place for me.

That's exactly how I felt 15 years ago, I really hope that in 15 years time you are still "in love" with Chiang Mai

23 years ago, if You got to Imo when it opened , you got Coffee, and help with the form .Hard to believe the bad reports these days.Cant say i noticed air cause i smoked back then.Lived on the road up to the Palace, could see the haze some months over the City but nothing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, moontang said:

funny you said that.  A thai woman scowled at me yesterday in line at 711.  I did set my two bottles of pepsi max on the counter, but kept them as far as possible from her package of noodles.  That is a quite common practice here though...especially with 5 employees and one open register.  She was kind of cute.  I kind of discounted it, when I saw her ID...a teacher.  One reason I avoid shopping on Saturdays, all the civil servants are out of their cages.  The feminazi militant dyke movement is picking up steam in BKK, where I live, but likely headquartered in CM.  I had just showered and hadnt had my first beer....maybe I didnt give her enough of a stare.  There is a lot of truth to them sensing that you have been active, and I had just returned from a nice hotel date with the GF an hour away.  Maybe she is practicing to be an IO.

Image result for chip on shoulder meme

46 minutes ago, orchis said:

Image result for chip on shoulder meme

Nope, happy camper.. About the 10th time I caught them in a price discrepancy (they know better than to simply short change me), I introduced myself, shook hands with the boss, who has a Masters in Finance, and have made it a point to be on a friendly basis with all at my local 711.  They are amused.  I would say my record is 93-4, on items brought to their attention, with a smile, nothing personal, at all.  Scowling at me is generally not a good approach, though, and a first in 400 visits to that 7.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:41 AM, moontang said:

Those signs were about the bars, transvestites, and dirty backpackers trying to expand their area onto Chiang Moi Rd.. 

Ya,that's right.Back when 'Spicy' moved onto Chiang Moi for a while and the local residents were worried that their road was going to turn into another Loi Kroh. I remember the signs being posted. Things cooled down once Spicy returned to its original pit of despair on Chaipoom Rd.

These days Chiang Moi seems to be coming into it's own with several interesting restaurants and shops popping up there.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:31 AM, MisterBleach said:

After further thought, I have dredged up one thing that I do not much like about Chiang Mai which I will share here:

I have noticed that there seems to be a marked influx of pigeons roosting all over the place

I must admit that I don't like pigeons.

I don't like their cooing.

I also detest their droppings.

But, there is a solution to the pigeon problem in Chiang Mai.

The best solution would be to eat them.

We could eat them as if they were pheasants.

In other words, instead of having pheasant under glass, we could have pigeon under glass.

All birds taste basically the same, and pigeons in Chiang Mai are plentiful.

Here is a recipe:

But, you would need to first catch a Brace of Pigeons, which would be a good thing, I think.

Chiang Mai PIGEONS UNDER GLASS for four

Wild Rice Stuffing
2 c. cooked wild rice
1/2 c. dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
2 scallions, minced
2 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
2 T. butter
1 large shallot, minced
4 -5 cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
juice of half a lemon
2 large dried morel mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
1 c. white wine
2 T. cognac
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 T. heavy cream
1 t. chicken demi-glace
1 t. cornstarch mixed with 1 T. water
s&p

Lay the birds on one side and place in a hot 400° oven for 15 minutes. Turn the birds to the other side and roast for another 15 minutes. Turn the birds on their backs and roast for 30 minutes more. Remove and set aside. Pour off accumulated fat in the pan, reserve the pan's brown bits for deglazing for the sauce. While the birds are roasting make the sauce: sauté the shallots, the morel strips and the sliced cremini mushrooms in 2 T. butter until soft. Remove from pan. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and 3/4 c. of the wine (the rest of the wine is for deglazing the roasting pan). Reduce liquid to 3/4 cup. Stir in the cream, lemon juice, cognac, chicken demi-glace, Tabasco, mix well and bring up to the boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken. Return the reserved mushroom mixture to the sauce. When the birds are out of the oven, deglaze the roasting pan with the remaining 1/4 c. white wine, stir this into the sauce.

Other than the pigeons, I have no complaints about Chiang Mai.

How do you persuade the pigeons to lay on their side for 15 minutes at a time?

The one round here are constantly on the move bobbing their heads around and

pecking the ground.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, MisterBleach said:

Also, I ask you: Have you ever heard a better tune than, "Minute by Minute"?

Alice Cooper, Dead Babies  (from breathing toxic air)

The Doobies were better without Michael McDonald.

I loved Chiang Mai, except for the air. Unfortunately, air pollution is a risk factor for heart disease, strokes and dementia as well as the more obvious culprits. Some of these conditions are asymptomatic until it's too late.

I don't know about you, but I would rather not have a stroke, if possible.

Before I moved there, I figured I could ride out the bad months, or go somewhere else for a bit. And I can.

But frankly, the air isn't that great the rest of the year. So off I went.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, ThaiPauly said:

That's exactly how I felt 15 years ago, I really hope that in 15 years time you are still "in love" with Chiang Mai

Time and experience does tend to temper one's enthusiasm.

Are you trying to convince yourself that CM is the final destination for you by this post ? It’s fine with me, but please don’t try to show it real beautiful, because it is not. In fact it’s very ugly. 

Don't get me wrong. I have lived in CM for a year lately and regardless of burning season the air pollution is high all year long not only by rice field burners, but also by trash burners and too many diesel cars (songthaews). I was really tired of washing my balcony everyday and seeing black water running down the drain. I felt it in my longs as well. Perhaps it was only my problem since I lived near by Maya, but I’m happy now since I don’t see too many Chinese everyday, everywhere. 

Wish you beautiful lovely unforgettable moments in CM. 

CM once was very nice, today it certainly isn't with all the months of smog and the traffic being hell. Even BKK is easier on a motorbike than CM nowadays.
I still like it during the high season, as of the weather and beautiful nature. However, Chinese ruined that too with all the big tour busses in the mountains. 

The OP is clearly brand new or lying hehe, I do wish there was a pill to forget everything, to then experience that feeling again for a while. Heavenly it was.
I suppose it is still much better than many places on earth, maybe you come from a hell hole, in that case I understand too.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:23 AM, MisterBleach said:

What, dares the slave

Come hither, cover'd with an antic face,

To fleer and scorn at our solemnity?

Like anyone talks like this at all, ever, in this day and age.  And the <deleted> like, "one should look at i oneself and ponder what oneth shalt do about pigeons frolicking to and fro.  There is a solution for evermore!  Behold, this wonderful city!"  Then a recipe for pigeons.  Dude, you live in CM. It's basically a slum in a third world country.  

Been working here on and off for thirty years as well as many other major and minor places in the world. I'm Australian and it is a pretty good place to live too. But Chiang mai suits me. Its all a matter of how you see it.

I live here by choice (7 years now). The few things I don't like are unimportant compared to things I do like.

That's why I stay. I'm not forced by circumstances to go or stay.

If it doesn't suit you then that's fine too. No point whingeing or making a list of bad points - that doesn't matter to me. If you don't like  it here then the airport is right near the town with a regular bus service so either go or get over it.  We wont mind. If another place suits you more then why are you here?

Why the respondents to the OP deny him his feelings: We are not happy so how can he be?

He knows about the pollution and the traffic and Immigration and a host of other matters affecting many on this forum but they don't affect his general state of mind.

Paradise, happiness and contentment are a state of mind, not of situation. 

Being positive is not about believing something is good when it is obviously bad but more about how you perceive and deal with it.

Archived