PLEASE TELL ME: Why, Oh, Why...Do I have ZERO Complaints about Living in Chiang Mai?

MisterBleach

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, ChrisKC said:

Why the respondents to the OP deny him his feelings: We are not happy so how can he be?

He knows about the pollution and the traffic and Immigration and a host of other matters affecting many on this forum but they don't affect his general state of mind.

Paradise, happiness and contentment are a state of mind, not of situation. 

Being positive is not about believing something is good when it is obviously bad but more about how you perceive and deal with it.

Not a single oneth has denieth his blessed and eternal right.  Ye should consider the opinions thou forms as a simple being to be implied not of one's true knowlege or experience.  Lest I remind you, my good fellow- The guy lives in a broke ass slum with seriously nothing going for it other than it is close to China.  He shalt choketh on his words or perhaps with a stroke of luck, the of the chart toxic air that has becometh nearly a year round threat.

To the OP-  I'm glad you are happy, I really am.  Not sure why you would prance around like this is some kind of f'd up musical, but seriously, I must ask- where n the F are you from that you would glorify a <deleted>hole like CM as the greatest place on Earth.  Did you just escape Guantanamo Bay or something?

I'm sure this is a troll post, he has probably never been to CM or has been there and is taking a <deleted> and going waaaay overboard on the sarcasm.

p.s.  The pigeon recipe was a dead give away.  Do better.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:26 AM, spidermike007 said:

the massive congestion and traffic due to overdevelopment, and a total lack of traffic mitigation, it is a pale shadow of the city it used to be. 

I somewhat disagree with you and others on this.

Sure there is traffic but CM is actually one of the places they have made tremendous strides and spent money in improving the infrastructure.

And, there are more projects coming including a new ring road.

Also, if one is very familiar with the city and surronding areas there are ways to bypass some of the traffic issues.

Nothing can be done about the old city unless they tear up the moat.  So, just avoid it or get a good motorbike.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:02 AM, Unify said:

I loved Chiang Mai, except for the air. Unfortunately, air pollution is a risk factor for heart disease, strokes and dementia as well as the more obvious culprits. Some of these conditions are asymptomatic until it's too late.

I don't know about you, but I would rather not have a stroke, if possible.

Before I moved there, I figured I could ride out the bad months, or go somewhere else for a bit. And I can.

But frankly, the air isn't that great the rest of the year. So off I went.

They air is terrible half of the year and getting worse. 

On 10/22/2019 at 2:49 AM, Jon1050 said:

Yes we have contemplated living there but the pollution is too much and only going to get worse ,paradise it’s not unfortunately .

No i have NEVER contemplated living there EVER , I live in paradise on Koh Chang. i could never live far from the ocean. No pollution as such, good clean beaches, bars if i want, friendly locals, Boarder crossing only 100 km away if i should ever need itIMG_1354.thumb.JPG.95b0ba907fe906c77a354af12dc0f0b2.JPG

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I somewhat disagree with you and others on this.

Sure there is traffic but CM is actually one of the places they have made tremendous strides and spent money in improving the infrastructure.

And, there are more projects coming including a new ring road.

Also, if one is very familiar with the city and surronding areas there are ways to bypass some of the traffic issues.

Nothing can be done about the old city unless they tear up the moat.  So, just avoid it or get a good motorbike.

You can drive a motorbike in the moat wow ?

On 10/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, MisterBleach said:

After further thought, I have dredged up one thing that I do not much like about Chiang Mai which I will share here:

I have noticed that there seems to be a marked influx of pigeons roosting all over the place

I must admit that I don't like pigeons.

I don't like their cooing.

I also detest their droppings.

But, there is a solution to the pigeon problem in Chiang Mai.

The best solution would be to eat them.

We could eat them as if they were pheasants.

In other words, instead of having pheasant under glass, we could have pigeon under glass.

All birds taste basically the same, and pigeons in Chiang Mai are plentiful.

Here is a recipe:

But, you would need to first catch a Brace of Pigeons, which would be a good thing, I think.

Chiang Mai PIGEONS UNDER GLASS for four

Wild Rice Stuffing
2 c. cooked wild rice
1/2 c. dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
2 scallions, minced
2 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
2 T. butter
1 large shallot, minced
4 -5 cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
juice of half a lemon
2 large dried morel mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water
1 c. white wine
2 T. cognac
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 T. heavy cream
1 t. chicken demi-glace
1 t. cornstarch mixed with 1 T. water
s&p

Lay the birds on one side and place in a hot 400° oven for 15 minutes. Turn the birds to the other side and roast for another 15 minutes. Turn the birds on their backs and roast for 30 minutes more. Remove and set aside. Pour off accumulated fat in the pan, reserve the pan's brown bits for deglazing for the sauce. While the birds are roasting make the sauce: sauté the shallots, the morel strips and the sliced cremini mushrooms in 2 T. butter until soft. Remove from pan. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and 3/4 c. of the wine (the rest of the wine is for deglazing the roasting pan). Reduce liquid to 3/4 cup. Stir in the cream, lemon juice, cognac, chicken demi-glace, Tabasco, mix well and bring up to the boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken. Return the reserved mushroom mixture to the sauce. When the birds are out of the oven, deglaze the roasting pan with the remaining 1/4 c. white wine, stir this into the sauce.

Other than the pigeons, I have no complaints about Chiang Mai.

Or open up a shop for the chinese to come play with them...and take selfies of course..

On 10/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Puchaiyank said:

The worst air quality in the world...worse than India and China...during the months long rice field burnings.

4.1 magnitude earthquake in last 24 hours.

Signs posted around the city..."Get rid of beer bars...take Chiang Mai back".

Favorite destination of Chinese.

I have more if needed...????

yes pls..more needed! (pops popcorn) dont forget the emojis!

On 10/19/2019 at 4:32 AM, Puchaiyank said:

A few years back I was staying at a place called Veerchai Court...located between the Tha Phae Gate and Ping River.   I travelled on foot most of the time and was very annoyed to see the signs posted on utility polls in the area.  Probably been removed now...but the unfriendly message they conveyed left an impression.

How as your exp at veerchai?   i'll be apt hunting soon...

I am happy to read that you foud your personal paradise where you have absolutely nothing to complain.

I also like Chiang Mai with it´s good vibes, lots of culture and beautiful surroundings and for me it´s the best city to live in Thailand. But perfect? No, not for me. I hate the burning season over months, the 6 or more weeks with 43 C, the lack of city planning with no or really bad sidewalks in Old Town, Nimman and so on, the fact that in the so called Old Town are nearly nothing old beside some temples and a few houses. 

Archived