affidavit of freedom to marry

Hello,

I have spent the last couple of days doing research on this topic.  However, i have not found a solution to my problem.
The Thai authorities ask for an affidavit of freedom to marry from your embassy in Thailand. However, my country has no embassy in Thailand. It is unclear of what to do in this situation.  I am an EU(Bulgarian) citizen living in Germany(divorced).  Am i allowed to use the German embassy?

Please, any ideas are welcome.

1 hour ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

Does it matter to which one i go to?

I doubt it. But you should contact them first to check they can provide what you need.

Is it out of the question that i can make this document in my own country and just bring it to Thailand?

Yes you can get it in your home country.

Edited by elviajero

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I doubt it. But you should contact them first to check they can provide what you need.

Yes you can get it in your home country.

I am little puzzled because in absolutely every website i checked it specifically said that it should be from the relevant embassy in Thailand.
I also checked old threads of this forum and people were asking if they can get it done in their country.
Most responses were saying that Thai officials accept only ones who got it from the embassy.
I am stressed out because of all this bureaucracy.
I am afraid that when i go to Thailand, i won't be able to get this done and bring my girl back.

The affirmation of Freedom to Marry is nothing more than a typed one page statement which states there is no reason why you cannot marry and that you are free to do so. You can make this document yourself or you can borrow a template from various places, including the embassies of other countries...here's the one from the UK government, there's not much difference between any of them.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/796783/DIVORCED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf      (see page 5)

Your embassy, if you had one here, is unlikely to provide a form that is very different from this.

The real problem in your case is where you take that form to sign it and swear that it is true and correct, but let's just skip that part for the moment. Your next step after signing/swearing the document is to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and pay to have it translated into Thai. I'm pretty sure that when you go to see MOFA, assuming you have a sworn signed document (from any embassy), they wont care that it's not an embassy in Thailand, especially if you point out that there isn't one! 

So it kinda looks like you have to prepare the form yourself and then hoof it to the nearest embassy your country has in the region, or, have the form validated in Germany and then take it to MOFA in Thailand for translation.

Edited by saengd

5 hours ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

Does it matter to which one i go to?
Is it out of the question that i can make this document in my own country and just bring it to Thailand?

Yes, it does. If living in Thailand you shall only use you embassy in Vietnam or Indonesia.

Yes you can make it in home country.

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to contact the Bulgarian Consulate in Bangkok:

BULGARIA

The Consulate of the Republic of Bulgaria, Bangkok

Chancery:

3675 Krungthai Tractor Building, 4th floor

Rama 4 Road, Phrakanong, Kongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2661 5669
 Fax: 0 2258 5518

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Office Hours: 09.00 - 16.00 ( Monday - Friday )  

Mr. Sombat LAOHAPONGCHANA

Honorary Consul  
  Mrs. Pakpon LAOHAPONGCHANA
  • Thanks 1

The official rules: http://www.bora.dopa.go.th/callcenter1548/index.php/menu-general/12-service-handbook/general/27-general-status-marriage-registration

You need to get a document which certifies your status from your home country's embassy, consulate or a government organization, and have this translated and certified.

So the easiest solution is probably to get a document which says you are single from the Bulgarian consulate mentioned by the poster above.

18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to contact the Bulgarian Consulate in Bangkok:

That is a honorary consulate that may be able to it. If not they may be able to assist with getting one from one of the nearby embassies.

10 hours ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

I am little puzzled because in absolutely every website i checked it specifically said that it should be from the relevant embassy in Thailand.
I also checked old threads of this forum and people were asking if they can get it done in their country.
Most responses were saying that Thai officials accept only ones who got it from the embassy.
I am stressed out because of all this bureaucracy.
I am afraid that when i go to Thailand, i won't be able to get this done and bring my girl back.

If you are in your home country you can get the affidavit done there, and should get it done before you travel.

The only reason you need to use an embassy is if you are abroad.

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

BULGARIA

The Consulate of the Republic of Bulgaria, Bangkok

Chancery:

3675 Krungthai Tractor Building, 4th floor

Rama 4 Road, Phrakanong, Kongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2661 5669
 Fax: 0 2258 5518

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Office Hours: 09.00 - 16.00 ( Monday - Friday )  

Mr. Sombat LAOHAPONGCHANA

Honorary Consul  
  Mrs. Pakpon LAOHAPONGCHANA

This is fake. I already checked.
In the Bulgaria MFA website says there is no such thing in Thailand.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you are in your home country you can get the affidavit done there, and should get it done before you travel.

The only reason you need to use an embassy is if you are abroad.

I got more information from the Thai embassy in Bulgaria.
According to agreements, i have to make this document in Bulgaria and then get stamped by the Thai embassy in Romania.
I don't know what comes after that.
I am not sure if the The Thai embassy stamp will substitute the later step of translating it into Thai and giving it into the Thai foreign ministry.
I have to ask them on Monday.

1 hour ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

I got more information from the Thai embassy in Bulgaria.
According to agreements, i have to make this document in Bulgaria and then get stamped by the Thai embassy in Romania.
I don't know what comes after that.
I am not sure if the The Thai embassy stamp will substitute the later step of translating it into Thai and giving it into the Thai foreign ministry.
I have to ask them on Monday.

As said in Post 6 above, next step is to get it translated and approved by MOFA in Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

As said in Post 6 above, next step is to get it translated and approved by MOFA in Bangkok.

It's really confusing.
If it was stamped by the Thai embassy (a legal representitive of the Thai government abroad),

why would it need to go through the Thai foreign ministry in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

It's really confusing.
If it was stamped by the Thai embassy (a legal representitive of the Thai government abroad),

Maybe because you're outside of Thailand you get to skip the MOFA phase, people inside Thailand cannot.

5 minutes ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

It's really confusing.

The affidavit needs to be translated to Thai and legalised. You can get it translated and then legalised at the Thai Embassy in your home country.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

The affidavit needs to be translated to Thai and legalised. You can get it translated and then legalised at the Thai Embassy in your home country.

Yea, i guess, i am going to find out on Monday when i call the Thai embassy.
One thing which is a real downside is that to get the affidavit, we need to translate my girlfriend's formal agreement for her personal details to be used in the affidavit.
This needs to be done by a notary, translated into Bulgarian and legalized by the Thai MOFA.
This is the downside of not being able to do it within Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where are you at now?

I suggest you try calling the honorary consulate in Bangkok. Did you read my previous post about it?. It certainly exists.

I am in Germany, where i live.
She is in Thailand.
I am going  to Thailand after i have everything figured out and all documents made.
I have asked my girlfriend to call the honorary consulate in Bangkok, yes.
Thank you.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where are you at now?

I suggest you try calling the honorary consulate in Bangkok. Did you read my previous post about it?. It certainly exists.

Actually, she just checked and the consulate was closed permanently.
So this leaves me the only option to make it in Bulgaria.

7 minutes ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

Actually, she just checked and the consulate was closed permanently.

How did she find that out.

I just tried calling but of course no answer.

It appears on a list of consulates that was updated this month so I find it odd it is closed.