Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I have spent the last couple of days doing research on this topic.  However, i have not found a solution to my problem.
The Thai authorities ask for an affidavit of freedom to marry from your embassy in Thailand. However, my country has no embassy in Thailand. It is unclear of what to do in this situation.  I am an EU(Bulgarian) citizen living in Germany(divorced).  Am i allowed to use the German embassy?


Please, any ideas are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

Does it matter to which one i go to?

I doubt it. But you should contact them first to check they can provide what you need.

 

Quote

Is it out of the question that i can make this document in my own country and just bring it to Thailand?

Yes you can get it in your home country.

Edited by elviajero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I doubt it. But you should contact them first to check they can provide what you need.

 

Yes you can get it in your home country.

I am little puzzled because in absolutely every website i checked it specifically said that it should be from the relevant embassy in Thailand.
I also checked old threads of this forum and people were asking if they can get it done in their country.
Most responses were saying that Thai officials accept only ones who got it from the embassy.
I am stressed out because of all this bureaucracy.
I am afraid that when i go to Thailand, i won't be able to get this done and bring my girl back.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The affirmation of Freedom to Marry is nothing more than a typed one page statement which states there is no reason why you cannot marry and that you are free to do so. You can make this document yourself or you can borrow a template from various places, including the embassies of other countries...here's the one from the UK government, there's not much difference between any of them.

 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/796783/DIVORCED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf      (see page 5)

 

Your embassy, if you had one here, is unlikely to provide a form that is very different from this.

 

The real problem in your case is where you take that form to sign it and swear that it is true and correct, but let's just skip that part for the moment. Your next step after signing/swearing the document is to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and pay to have it translated into Thai. I'm pretty sure that when you go to see MOFA, assuming you have a sworn signed document (from any embassy), they wont care that it's not an embassy in Thailand, especially if you point out that there isn't one! 

 

So it kinda looks like you have to prepare the form yourself and then hoof it to the nearest embassy your country has in the region, or, have the form validated in Germany and then take it to MOFA in Thailand for translation.

 

Edited by saengd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

Does it matter to which one i go to?
Is it out of the question that i can make this document in my own country and just bring it to Thailand?

Yes, it does. If living in Thailand you shall only use you embassy in Vietnam or Indonesia.

Yes you can make it in home country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to contact the Bulgarian Consulate in Bangkok:

 

BULGARIA

The Consulate of the Republic of Bulgaria, Bangkok

Chancery:

3675 Krungthai Tractor Building, 4th floor

Rama 4 Road, Phrakanong, Kongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2661 5669
 Fax: 0 2258 5518

E-mail: foreign@ktt.co.th

sombat@ktt.co.th


Office Hours: 09.00 - 16.00 ( Monday - Friday )  

 

      Mr. Sombat LAOHAPONGCHANA

03.12.2003

    Honorary Consul  
  Mrs. Pakpon LAOHAPONGCHANA
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The official rules: http://www.bora.dopa.go.th/callcenter1548/index.php/menu-general/12-service-handbook/general/27-general-status-marriage-registration

You need to get a document which certifies your status from your home country's embassy, consulate or a government organization, and have this translated and certified.

So the easiest solution is probably to get a document which says you are single from the Bulgarian consulate mentioned by the poster above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to contact the Bulgarian Consulate in Bangkok:

That is a honorary consulate that may be able to it. If not they may be able to assist with getting one from one of the nearby embassies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

I am little puzzled because in absolutely every website i checked it specifically said that it should be from the relevant embassy in Thailand.
I also checked old threads of this forum and people were asking if they can get it done in their country.
Most responses were saying that Thai officials accept only ones who got it from the embassy.
I am stressed out because of all this bureaucracy.
I am afraid that when i go to Thailand, i won't be able to get this done and bring my girl back.
 

If you are in your home country you can get the affidavit done there, and should get it done before you travel.

 

The only reason you need to use an embassy is if you are abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to contact the Bulgarian Consulate in Bangkok:

 

BULGARIA

The Consulate of the Republic of Bulgaria, Bangkok

Chancery:

3675 Krungthai Tractor Building, 4th floor

Rama 4 Road, Phrakanong, Kongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2661 5669
 Fax: 0 2258 5518

E-mail: foreign@ktt.co.th

sombat@ktt.co.th


Office Hours: 09.00 - 16.00 ( Monday - Friday )  

 

      Mr. Sombat LAOHAPONGCHANA

03.12.2003

    Honorary Consul  
  Mrs. Pakpon LAOHAPONGCHANA

This is fake. I already checked.
In the Bulgaria MFA website says there is no such thing in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you are in your home country you can get the affidavit done there, and should get it done before you travel.

 

The only reason you need to use an embassy is if you are abroad.

I got more information from the Thai embassy in Bulgaria.
According to agreements, i have to make this document in Bulgaria and then get stamped by the Thai embassy in Romania.
I don't know what comes after that.
I am not sure if the The Thai embassy stamp will substitute the later step of translating it into Thai and giving it into the Thai foreign ministry.
I have to ask them on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetarDambovaliev said:

I got more information from the Thai embassy in Bulgaria.
According to agreements, i have to make this document in Bulgaria and then get stamped by the Thai embassy in Romania.
I don't know what comes after that.
I am not sure if the The Thai embassy stamp will substitute the later step of translating it into Thai and giving it into the Thai foreign ministry.
I have to ask them on Monday.

As said in Post 6 above, next step is to get it translated and approved by MOFA in Bangkok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...