Getting an SETV after a 30-day visa upon arrival.

I am presently in Thailand on a 30-day upon arrival tourist visa. ( I was previously on a Non-B for work). Would I still qualify for a SETV if applying for the visa in a neighboring country (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia). Actually, I want to hang out on a tourist visa in Thailand until I get the correct amount of money in the bank and for the correct duration for either marriage extension or a retirement extension. And if I applied for another 30-day extension in country after my initial 30-day upon arrival expires ( I am assuming that I would get a 30 day extension in Thailand) would I still qualify for a SETV? Even after two 30-day tourist visas? Thanks.

First of all, it avoids confusion if you talk about visa exempt entry (what you are getting) rather than visa on arrival (which you are not eligible for, and for which the rules are completely different).

Secondly, if you are married to a Thai then, even without financial proof, you have better and safer options than using visa exempt entries and tourist visas. These include:

• with your wife present, you can apply for a 60-day extension of your visa exempt entry to visit her; and
  • in Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City, you can get a multiple entry Non O visa to visit your Thai wife, allowing unlimited 90-day stays in Thailand for a year.

In principle, you could get one or two tourist visas in the region instead of Non O visas, but would need to be very careful about where you applied, and where you entered Thailand. Immigration (possibly correctly) are going to suspect you of illegal working.

Instead of getting a tourist visa you could get a single entry or multiple entry non-o visa visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

If you can meet the financial requirements you not even have to leave the country to get a get non immigrant visa (category O) entry by applying for it at immigration if you have at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it.and then apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79 

I can't meet the financial requirements since the 400,000 Baht has to be in the bank for two months prior to applying. I am aware of the single entry or multiple entry non-o visa visa based upon marriage to a Thai  and I am seriously considering that option. Regarding  my questions  about staying in Thailand on tourist visa my question must not have been clear since I am not exactly sure of the names of the various types of visas or extensions. What I meant was that I am presently here on a visa that I never applied  for in advance. I got it stamped in my passport after arriving at the airport. It's good for 30 days. Just before the last day of this visa ( visa exempt entry?) I thought I might try to get a SETV in a neighboring country. But the the non o based on marriage sounds like the most viable and sensible option. Thanks for your info and suggestions.

20 hours ago, khaepmu said:

I can't meet the financial requirements since the 400,000 Baht has to be in the bank for two months prior to applying. I am aware of the single entry or multiple entry non-o visa visa based upon marriage to a Thai  and I am seriously considering that option. Regarding  my questions  about staying in Thailand on tourist visa my question must not have been clear since I am not exactly sure of the names of the various types of visas or extensions. What I meant was that I am presently here on a visa that I never applied  for in advance. I got it stamped in my passport after arriving at the airport. It's good for 30 days. Just before the last day of this visa ( visa exempt entry?) I thought I might try to get a SETV in a neighboring country. But the the non o based on marriage sounds like the most viable and sensible option. Thanks for your info and suggestions.

To apply for the Non O at an Immigration office in Thailand, there is no requirement for the funds to have been in the bank for two months. As long as you have 400k Baht in your account you will qualify, even if the funds have just been deposited. The Non O will give your a permission to stay for 90 days, and towards the end of those 90 days you will apply for a one year extension. It's when you apply for the extension that the 400k have to have been in the bank for two months.

Sophon