Survey: Thais are short of money - and it's worse than Indonesia!

rooster59

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Thais (and five-year-olds) simply cannot plan ahead, or manage their money; raise the monthly minimum-income to 50,000 baht and they still won't be able to do it...

And banks make it too easy, effectively forcing debt onto people who won't be able to ever repay the money.

Same as China’s Debt Traps, operate the same and collect properties 

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Not to mention phones, sometimes 2 and 3 phones per person! 

Yup in restaurants you see many thai with 2-3 phones plus extra batterypacks...Why don't they select their phone to have a very good battery and 2 simcards??

Last week i had dinner with 15 thai but i couldn't leave the table because they all had to charge the phone and a cable to the outlets in the walls.

Also it's sad to see that they all need designer stuff which they can't afford....thailand should ban all those designer shops...

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

In short , they can't.

Oh really.you can buy as much land as you want in Thailand.owning it is another story.its too easy to hit the old keyboard before reading the reply.i said farang buying land and nothing about ownership.typical Sunday morning keyboard warrior.

15 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Oh really.you can buy as much land as you want in Thailand.owning it is another story.its too easy to hit the old keyboard before reading the reply.i said farang buying land and nothing about ownership.typical Sunday morning keyboard warrior.

So come on, what have you bought but never owned?

No need for the sarkie comment. I would have said the same if it had been Saturday or Monday.

All the Thais I met in these months are living with the credit cards, consumerism illness and spend all the amount they gain in a month. Buy gold, sell gold. Hope for lottery. Borrow money for get married.

Savings depends one one's salary relatively, some people has 10.000 baht /m and can save 3.000baht /m, some people has 50.000 baht /m and all of this is put on the shopping malls. So, it's a question of mentality and consumerism illness

On 10/19/2019 at 10:07 AM, BritManToo said:

Can't see any western countries in better shape.

Everyone appears to be drowning in a sea of debt.

............ except me, and that's only because nobody will give me credit.

One thing is private debt, another thing is public debt (a mental pit organized by neoliberal)

On 10/19/2019 at 10:20 AM, RichardColeman said:

I don;t have a great income - enough for extension based on marriage now, but that's about it. My wife, me and our child live a relatively OK life.

BUT we don't currently own a 3 motorbikes, a pick-up, an estate, a 65 inch TV, or both have the latest Apple phones, and we certainly don;t live on pizza, KFC and McDonalds deliveries four times a week, all of which our Thai neighbours on about a 1/2 of our income seem to be able to do.

Mind you, there seems to be a high turnover of Thai neighbours now - so that may answer some of it 

This post should be write on every Thai school door to educate future Thais. 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Yup in restaurants you see many thai with 2-3 phones plus extra batterypacks...Why don't they select their phone to have a very good battery and 2 simcards??

Last week i had dinner with 15 thai but i couldn't leave the table because they all had to charge the phone and a cable to the outlets in the walls.

Also it's sad to see that they all need designer stuff which they can't afford....thailand should ban all those designer shops...

I don't believe in banning anything, but in teaching people to 1) live within their means and 2) to shun all the shiny stuff and concentrate on more important things. 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:02 AM, Assurancetourix said:

You can take away from that 40% the millions of farmers who make two and sometimes even three crops of rice in the year; Central plain of Chai Praya and all those lucky enough to have their rice fields along a river or at the edge of a lake.
These farmers are very far from being poor;
on the other hand, the other millions of peasants in Issan who only harvest once a year at the whim of the very rare rains that year 2019 (except in the province of Ubon where everything is drowned), those are poor but they are so because they have abandoned the way of making their ancestors;
we no longer see buffaloes working in the rice fields;
in their place, you can see motor tillers and even more and more Kubota tractors or other international brands.
But these oil machines are not free and the diesel to make them work, either;
you have to buy them, most often on credit ....
and they are in a bad state when the credit is over ...
Vicious circle..when one or a few buffaloes would have done exactly the same job for a few tufts of grass ...
and the countryman could, in addition, recover his excrement to make manure and thus natural fertilizer.

This is as far as possible from the truth.

We own a rice farm in Isaan and have for years and years.

It never makes any money, ever.

Why is that?

The cost of everything to plant rice has risen.

In Isaan, the millers are like the mafia.

You either sell to them at their ridiculously cheap prices or you get blackballed, threatened with violence, and worse.

That is the reality of rural Isaan.

The millers make all the money, you get the crumbs left over.

The majority of our rice feeds a large extended family each year.

Sometimes rice can be traded in the village for other food.

I shell out for the operating costs each year never expecting 1 baht back, which is exactly what happens.

10 hours ago, zhounan said:

This post should be write on every Thai school door to educate future Thais. 

Thai prefer to learn the hard way. Hence you see boys from 9 driving motocy 100 km/hr with their little brother on the back, no helmets of course.

Som nom na!

What goes around comes around...

Too greedy. No respect. Think they are invincible. Treat foreigners like dirt and forget who helps their economy.

They forget their place.

Why did both the British and French decide not to split Thailand in two? Because it was not worth the effort, plus a lot of grovelling on the part of the powers be back then.

Thai do not want to learn or know / understand the REAL past history of Thailand because of? Propaganda and lies... "We have never been colonized by the West",  but they have by other Asian powers, which gets omitted,

Take a look and see what products are on over, mostly all are NON THAI! Made and Manufactured does not mean the same, but try telling a Thai that. Forget it.

Thai think the British Union flag commanly known as Union Jack, is the Thai national flag!!!! Come on..!!!

What does Thailand offer? Be honest... Sex and ? Sex and ? Sex and ? Racism. Extortion. Fraud. Filth. Danger. Lawlessness etc... not firgetting, One big brothel.

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Ask anyone in any country...and they are overworked and underpaid. Majority of the workclass stiffs are 2 paychecks away from being homeless

Ask me! I am happy with my workload and the pay I receive. I will never be homeless!

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

This is as far as possible from the truth.

Another member who reads the answers diagonally;
read me carefully;
what did I write about the peasants of Issan?

on the other hand, the other millions of peasants in Issan who only harvest once a year at the whim of the very rare rains that year 2019 (except in the province of Ubon where everything is drowned), those are poor but they are so because they have abandoned the way of making their ancestors;
we no longer see buffaloes working in the rice fields;
in their place, you can see motor tillers and even more and more Kubota tractors or other international brands.
But these oil machines are not free  "

I have also written that they buy useless and expensive materials while they still have thousands of buffaloes that could easily replace petrol-powered machines;Do as their ancestors did ...

Except that they are as stupid as the other Thais;

it is essential to make others believe that they are richer than the others and they buy on credit new pickups, new farm tractors while they have only a few rai to cultivate ...

I call it pure stupidity.

I live in Issan in Sakon Nakhon province since nearly 15 years ;

we have 9 rai of rice fields;

my son in law has about as much ;

one of my  brothers in law has 25 rai of rice fields and none of us has a tractor ;

we each have a Kubota tiller that is good enough, even for 25 rai and we grow for ourselves, not to sell to thieves;

If we get there, it's because we have 15 rai of rubber trees too; harvest which is sold every fortnight;

last week the purchase price was ridiculously low: 16 baht per kg of white balls;about 30 baht per kg of "carpet" .. (balls worked).

My son ( 31 y old ) does not have a pickup;

my  brother in law and I each have our own who are over 10 years old and who have been reimbursed for a long time.

Nobody drinks alcohol or smokes in the family.

You have to know how to make choices in life and especially stick to it.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, keith101 said:

And household debt continues to rise so that these banks can make the record profits as we see all over the world BANKS don't care about their customers just profits .

That is their job after all. Rights that are given aren't rights at all as they can be removed, rights have to be taken. Look at Europe not a hundred years ago it took brave men and women to fight for a decent living standard and it worked,up to a point. The Rich in London, Berlin and Paris still sit on the greater part of the nations wealth while thousands sleep on the streets and many families need two or three jobs to keep a roof over their heads. You can destroy any sense of rebellion with a credit card better than with a sword.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, mikebell said:

It's because of all the 800K deposits from ex-pats.

The expats put their 800K deposits in the bank because they don't trust agents, just

who are the most trustworthy? The banks????

Archived