Jump to content
BANGKOK
OzMan

O-A expires on 22nd November

Recommended Posts

My first O-A issued expires on 22nd November 2019. I am leaving for 2 weeks overseas on 15th November so will be away when the visa expires. Also, yesterday I returned from two weeks in Bangladesh. I am confused about whether my visa is automatically extended since I have been away or if I need to complete a w-9 (?) form to get an extension. I have 800k baht in a bank here.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you do quick trip out and reenter before Oct 31. You would be given 12 month. Then before your planned trip buy reentry permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where you given a fresh 12 month permission to stay stamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Could you do quick trip out and reenter before Oct 31. You would be given 12 month. Then before your planned trip buy reentry permit.

He just returned from abroad yesterday, so should have a new permission to stay until 17th October 2020. Probably wouldn't be worth it to do another trip just to get another few days.

 

That is, of course, if he really has a valid Non Immigrant OA visa, and isn't already on an extension.

 

To the OP: What permission to stay stamp did you get at the airport when you arrived yesterday?

 

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sophon said:

He just returned from abroad yesterday, so should have a new permission to stay until 17th October 2020. Probably wouldn't be worth it to do another trip just to get another few days.

 

That is, of course, if he really has a valid Non Immigrant OA visa, and isn't already on an extension.

 

To the OP: What permission to stay stamp did you get at the airport when you arrived yesterday?

 

Sophon

Sorry missed the "returned yesterday....". Would he not have a current entry stamp with until date 12 months from now? Just need to obtain reentry permit for his next trip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since he mentions having 800K in the bank here I am not sure if he actually means an O-A visa or an in-country extension of stay.

 

OP you need to clarify:

 

Is the expiration you refer to expiration of the visa itself, or of a previously granted extension of stay that you got in Thailand?

 

If your actual original OA visa does not expire until 22 November and you just entered on it 2 weeks ago you should not have a permission of stay valid for another 12 months. In which case all you need to do is get a re-entry permit for your upcoming trip.  Please post a pic of the stamp you got when you entered this last time.

 

If your original OA visa already expired and last November you got an extension of stay in country, then what you have is an extension of stay that will expire 22 November. You can apply for extension of that now.

 

Also please mention which Imm office in Thailand  you use/will use. Some of them are requiring proof of health insurance from an approved list of Thai insurers to get an extension of stay after an O-A visa but starting 31 October, which would be a further reason to do a new extension of stay now if you need to. But if you just made an entry 2 weeks ago on a still unexpires OA you don't need to as you now already have a 12 month permission of stay and need only a re-entry permit. (Though you should start giving some thought to what you will do at the end of these 12 months given the new insurance policy etc).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Since he mentions having 800K in the bank here I am not sure if he actually means an O-A visa or an in-country extension of stay.

 

OP you need to clarify:

 

Is the expiration you refer to expiration of the visa itself, or of a previously granted extension of stay that you got in Thailand?

 

If your actual original OA visa does not expire until 22 November and you just entered on it 2 weeks ago you should not have a permission of stay valid for another 12 months. In which case all you need to do is get a re-entry permit for your upcoming trip.  Please post a pic of the stamp you got when you entered this last time.

 

If your original OA visa already expired and last November you got an extension of stay in country, then what you have is an extension of stay that will expire 22 November. You can apply for extension of that now.

 

Also please mention which Imm office in Thailand  you use/will use. Some of them are requiring proof of health insurance from an approved list of Thai insurers to get an extension of stay after an O-A visa but starting 31 October, which would be a further reason to do a new extension of stay now if you need to. But if you just made an entry 2 weeks ago on a still unexpires OA you don't need to as you now already have a 12 month permission of stay and need only a re-entry permit. (Though you should start giving some thought to what you will do at the end of these 12 months given the new insurance policy etc).

@Sheryl You said "you just entered on it 2 weeks ago you should not have a permission of stay valid for another 12 months"

 

I think you may have meant "should have a permission to stay."

 

David

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozman's post from another thread '' I have an O-A visa issued November 2018 in Australia. I need to renew it this November and thus have to show 800k baht in the bank''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Ozman's post from another thread '' I have an O-A visa issued November 2018 in Australia. I need to renew it this November and thus have to show 800k baht in the bank''

Now that's handy info! 

Sort of makes advice easy now. Ta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, OzMan said:

Also, yesterday I returned from two weeks in Bangladesh. I am confused about whether my visa is automatically extended since I have been away or if I need to complete a w-9 (?) form to get an extension. I have 800k baht in a bank here.

Look at the entry stamp in your passport, when does it say you have leave to remain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

@Sheryl You said "you just entered on it 2 weeks ago you should not have a permission of stay valid for another 12 months"

 

I think you may have meant "should have a permission to stay."

 

David

 

Yes, I meant he would have another 12 month stay already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Ozman's post from another thread '' I have an O-A visa issued November 2018 in Australia. I need to renew it this November and thus have to show 800k baht in the bank''

 

OK in that case having just entered 2 weeks ago he already has a permission of stay until early October 2019 and needs only a re-entry permit.

 

If wanting to stay beyond that he will need to do an in-country extension of stay September- October 2020 and will need the seasoned 800K then plus possibly also health insurance, but he has time to sort thsi out.

 

OP just check the stamp you got on entry, it should indicate you came in on an OA visa and give a permission to stay until date that is 1 year from entry date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

47 minutes ago, Sophon said:

He just returned from abroad yesterday, so should have a new permission to stay until 17th October 2020. Probably wouldn't be worth it to do another trip just to get another few days.

 

That is, of course, if he really has a valid Non Immigrant OA visa, and isn't already on an extension.

 

To the OP: What permission to stay stamp did you get at the airport when you arrived yesterday?

 

Sophon

If he has permission to stay until October 2020, he needs only multiple reentry permit for 1 year, 3800 baht. Or if he plans to travel only once a single reentry permit, way cheaper. My O-A expired last month and I travelled and came back just before the expiration date. Yesterday I went to the Samui immigration to get a multiple reentry permit,  got one in 20 min, no issues whatsoever, no questions asked about  TM30, TM whatever, or medical insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OzMan said:

My first O-A issued expires on 22nd November 2019. I am leaving for 2 weeks overseas on 15th November so will be away when the visa expires. Also, yesterday I returned from two weeks in Bangladesh. I am confused about whether my visa is automatically extended since I have been away or if I need to complete a w-9 (?) form to get an extension. I have 800k baht in a bank here.

If your (Entry) VISA expires 22/11 you would have received a new 1 year stay when you returned yesterday. That will give you permission to stay until Oct ‘20.

 

When you go on your trip in November you will need to get a Re-entry permit to protect that stay. When you return the IO will stamp you in until Oct ‘20.

 

Then, in Oct/Nov 2020 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

 

If your Visa has already expired and your final permission to stay is expiring on 22/11, you will need to apply for a 1 year extension and re-entry permit before you go on your trip. You should be able to apply for that from Monday onwards.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...