Thai driving licences: So long as you have one arm or leg you're good to go!

rooster59

Thai driving licences: So long as you have one arm or leg you're good to go!

grab.JPG

Caption: Service minded Grab Bike

Daily News reported on a feel good story on social media about a handicapped Grab Biker.

But the story revealed more about who is allowed to drive in Thailand. 

The media said that so long as you have at least one arm or leg and you are not blind then you are good to go. 

And being deaf is no problem at all!

The story concerned a woman called Suwimol who posted on Facebook about her journey to class. 

She was late and had called Grab Bike for the first time. 

The rider showed up and produced a polite card written in Thai and English that said he was deaf. 

He requested that she point to either Drive Slowly (chaa) or Express (duan).

She was in a hurry and chose the express option. Throughout the journey the helpful rider checked on his passenger and provided a great service, she said. She arrived on time. 

She helped him change a spelling mistake on his card - deaf had been spelled DEAT. 

She said that it was great that deaf people had a chance to be just like anyone else and contribute to society. She saw no problem with him being unable to hear well noting that he may have been able to hear someone honking a horn.

Netizens shared the story in droves and loved it. 

Daily News checked with the Department of Land Transport on who is allowed to drive in Thailand.

Their research showed that you need to be 15 to ride a motorcycle and 18 for a car. 

Applicants must not be blind or color blind or have both legs or both arms missing. 

But if you have one arm or one leg or are just blind in one eye that is okay. 

Being deaf is also fine. 

Contact a DLT office near you, they said finally.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-19

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Daily News checked with the Department of Land Transport on who is allowed to drive in Thailand.

Their research showed that you need to be 15 to ride a motorcycle and 18 for a car. 

They need a new researcher.

You need to be 15 to ride a motorcycle not over 110cc. For a larger motorcycle you need to be 18.

Last time I was at the office getting a license renewal ,

there was an old Thai man,also trying to do the same,

but he said he could not see the colours ,tried a few times,

so a couple of the officers took him away to a room, 

I seen him 15 mins later a smile on his face,new license

in his hand !..........says it all ,why so many serious accidents,deaths here.

regards worgeordie

29 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Last time I was at the office getting a license renewal ,

there was an old Thai man,also trying to do the same,

but he said he could not see the colours ,tried a few times,

so a couple of the officers took him away to a room, 

I seen him 15 mins later a smile on his face,new license

in his hand !..........says it all ,why so many serious accidents,deaths here.

regards worgeordie

As long as they see everything as green instant pass.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

or have both legs or both arms missing. 

Soon at a taxi stand near you!

I returned from an overseas trip yesterday and got a taxi at Don Muang airport. The driver turned out to have suffered a stroke a few months ago, his entire left body side having been paralyzed since then. He steered the vehicle with his right hand and only used his right leg to operate both the break and the gas pedal. Luckily, the car had automatic gears, otherwise I have no idea how he possibly could have shifted gears.

While I felt pity for him, I understandably wasn't exactly relaxed and comfortable during the ride and wondered whether driving taxi in his condition was the optimal job choice for him.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Applicants must not be blind or color blind or have both legs or both arms missing. 

But if you have one arm or one leg or are just blind in one eye that is okay. 

Being deaf is also fine. 

I understand "blind", but wonder who color blind is such a big problem...????

Color blind poeple say they can see a difference between the colors...(just dont know what the color is )
so can tell which traffic light is illuminated ,plus the red light is at the top, green at the bottom
Yellow in the middle.

Funny thing is DLT does not check if you blind or must wear glasses , they only check if you colourblind as if one would not know top is red and bottom is green.

but good on rider for ignoring his disability and living life to the full just as for passenger for understanding , sharing and helping instead of throwing a hissy fit . 

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Soon at a taxi stand near you!

I returned from an overseas trip yesterday and got a taxi at Don Muang airport. The driver turned out to have suffered a stroke a few months ago, his entire left body side having been paralyzed since then. He steered the vehicle with his right hand and only used his right leg to operate both the break and the gas pedal. Luckily, the car had automatic gears, otherwise I have no idea how he possibly could have shifted gears.

While I felt pity for him, I understandably wasn't exactly relaxed and comfortable during the ride and wondered whether driving taxi in his condition was the optimal job choice for him.

In an automatic I only use my right foot the left foot is for the clutch in a straight shift

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Funny thing is DLT does not check if you blind or must wear glasses , they only check if you colourblind as if one would not know top is red and bottom is green.

but good on rider for ignoring his disability and living life to the full just as for passenger for understanding , sharing and helping instead of throwing a hissy fit . 

no, they check both color, sharpness as in smaller and smaller text, and depth perception, as in needing 2 eyes

to get depth correct on the pin they scroll back and forth,

tho the control of the test isnt quite up to snuff,

ie all others in the room are allowed to give assistance during the tests.

i also nodded they have a reaction test,

i cant recall that in my home country

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

I understand "blind", but wonder who color blind is such a big problem...????

Traffic lights.

In NZ one can drive legally with one arm ( I travelled with a one armed driver many years ago ), and with an auto car one leg is fine.

Paraplegics with no leg function can drive, as can have all hand control.

I think one eye is OK too, so long as one's brain has had sufficient time to adapt, subject to testing.

Question; what are the mirrors on a bike, car, van, bus, truck for

1. squeezing zits

2. checking hair do/doing makeup

3. checking traffic around you

Answer; Duh! I don't know, I ask my Thai girlfriend she know everything, she have Motocyc licence (won it in a police raffle)

yeah.  to get a truck license you are told to always stay on the left side of the road, except to pass..... about 5,000 times.  done. 

to get a motorcycle license you watch a film that describes every possible truck driving category for operating a big rig in ASEAN...  for a truck driving license... and not a single thing about motorcycling in any of the tests and instructions.  done.

and a color chart test.  yeah, we all know already.

Archived