4.1 quake rattles Chiang Mai

rooster59

4.1 quake rattles Chiang Mai

By THE NATION

800_1d36bf1c9aae552.jpg

Credit: http://www.earthquake.tmd.go.th/home.php

A 4.1-magnitude earthquake was reported at a depth of 6 kilometres on Friday night (October 18) in the Doi Saket district of Chiang Mai province in Northern Thailand.

The Earthquake Observation Division of the Thai Meteorological Department said the quake occurred at 9.46pm and its epicenter was 15 kilometres east of downtown Chiang Mai.

The division reported that the quake was felt by locals for a short time and that residents of the adjacent districts of Sankampaeng, Sansai, Saraphee also felt the earth shake.

After the quake, Chiang Mai governor Charoenrit Sanguansat ordered officials to check for damage in high-rise buildings such as Maharat Nakhon Chiang Mai hospital, and later reported that the situation had returned to normal. The checks ascertained that there was no need to evacuate patients from the hospital.

There have been no reports of damaged buildings, roads, dams or casualties.

Related news:

Mild quake reported in Loei province

Earthquake of 6.3 magnitude hits Delhi, north India, epicentre in Pakistan

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377547

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-19

Yes I felt it,jolt the sofa,but only for a couple seconds,

The worst one was a few years ago,it sounded like a

747 was trying to land on the roof,at the time I never

knew earthquakes made a sound,the water was sloshing

around in the Koi pool.

regards Worgeordie

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I never knew earthquakes made a sound,

I've lived through three major quakes. Two in California, and one in Japan. Close enough in all three to have everything knocked off my shelves in the kitchen and all my bookshelves, and structural damage to my house in Japan. As is normal in Japan, all our large, tall furniture (amoires. dressers, sideboards, TV, etc.,) was bolted to the walls so didn't fall over on us, but the quakes shook us out of bed and scared the living daylights out of us!

Two of the quakes sounded like freight trains coming through my living room. The third was absolutely silent.

I don't like earthquakes

45 minutes ago, Filipplenoir said:

I was on the bed. It shok for a second. I thought - hmmm. I live near the Christian cemetery / golf course 

A Christian golf course? Do they pray for birdies and eagles? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Didn't feel a thing at Nong Hoi.

Magnitude 5 earthquake may hit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in next 10 years

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4oAZRtYP5J3V0BbF8ynA7HdY

Thailand’s northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai may face a magnitude 5 earthquake, as measured on the Richter Scale (ML), in the next 10 years after a 4.1 ML tremor shook seven districts of the two provinces on Friday night, according to the Department of Mineral Resources.

The forecast is based on analysis of movements in the Mae Tha fault lines, including the 5.1 ML quake on December 13th 2006, the epicentre of which was under the Mae Rim district of Chiang Mai.

Geological studies of earth strata at Ban Pong Samakkhi, in Doi Saket district of Chiang Mai, indicate that the area experienced a 5.9 ML quake about 2,000 years ago.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/magnitude-5-earthquake-may-hit-chiang-mai-and-chiang-rai-in-next-10-years/

thaipbs.jpg

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai may face a magnitude 5 earthquake, as measured on the Richter Scale (ML), in the next 10 years after a 4.1 ML tremor shook seven districts of the two provinces on Friday night, according to the Department of Mineral Resources.

That´s nice of them to let people know. What should they do? Move out of their house today and move back again after 10 years, just as a safety measure? You can never be too safe and secure when it comes to family, right? 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:30 PM, FolkGuitar said:
On 10/19/2019 at 11:26 AM, worgeordie said:

I never knew earthquakes made a sound,

I've lived through three major quakes. Two in California, and one in Japan. Close enough in all three to have everything knocked off my shelves in the kitchen and all my bookshelves, and structural damage to my house in Japan. As is normal in Japan, all our large, tall furniture (amoires. dressers, sideboards, TV, etc.,) was bolted to the walls so didn't fall over on us, but the quakes shook us out of bed and scared the living daylights out of us!

Two of the quakes sounded like freight trains coming through my living room. The third was absolutely silent.

I don't like earthquakes

I went through well, i guess tens of earthquakes (part of my job) and they make noise, but the further you are from the epicentre, the more it will be in the infrasound range (like a heavy truck on a road nearby...) or even lower. P-waves can be in the 30-40Hz range and transferred to the air; S-waves are silent but can be felt.

Closer to the epicentre, it is often in the audible range for humans as higher pitch waves haven't been absorbed to heavily yet.

That's of course independent of any human-related noise (furnitures, buildings, cars, not so rigid materials, etc.). So I'm just talking about the sound it makes in the middle of dry flat field.

Archived