Prisoners: Thailand has repatriated more than 1000 convicts to their home countries

rooster59

Prisoners: Thailand has repatriated more than 1000 convicts to their home countries

messageImage_1571368685781.jpg

The chief of Thailand's Probation Department has revealed that bilateral agreements have meant that more than 1000 convicted prisoners have been allowed to leave Thai prisons to serve their sentences in their homelands. 

Agreements with 34 countries have meant 1,199 prisoners have returned to their countries. 

Pol Col Narat Sewtanan said that it was good that prisoners could serve their time in a more familiar environment regarding language and culture. 

They would also be nearer to family and friends and be in a better position to be prepared for release and reentry into their societies. 

Narat said that this year alone 106 prisoners from 14 countries had been repatriated. 

And following international agreements for the first time prisoners from China and Japan had been repatriated to Thailand. One has returned from China and two from Japan, he said. 

Negotiations are also ongoing with Malaysia and Ukraine to increase the number returned home.

Agreements with these countries are expected to be reached next year.

Source: INN News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-19

I think that you will find that it depends on the crime and length of sentence, plus time served. However, as there is no detail given (as usual) in the article, and no breakdown by nationality, or crime, or sentence length, this article is pretty useless!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, MarineEquine said:

Does this apply to the UK? Asking for a friend. 

Well this yet another one of those Thai rather thin on details 'news' articles.

But there must already be a bilateral agreement with the UK, since I seem to recall watching the 'Banged Up Abroad' episode where Sandra Gregory, the gal that tried to smuggle heroin out of Don Muang, was after a couple of years in Lard Yao prison sent back to the UK to serve out the rest of her sentence.

4 hours ago, MarineEquine said:

Yes, there was a young guy from Bury who did 8 years here then sent back to UK I dont know how much more time he would have to do before he gets released he got caught importing drugs into Thailand stupid boy

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Yes, there was a young guy from Bury who did 8 years here then sent back to UK I dont know how much more time he would have to do before he gets released he got caught importing drugs into Thailand stupid boy

good thing he wasn't out partying in sydney.....

Post image

6 hours ago, MarineEquine said:

The UK has had a prisoner transfer treaty with Thailand for years (15-20?) but I recall reading that many Brits did not take advantage of it because under the bilateral agreement the prisoner had to serve the entirety of their sentence without the benefit of parole and without receiving the sentence reductions that are granted annually by the King to prisoners in Thailand.

That is from something I read a long time ago so it may well have changed. I guess google would provide some more up to date info. 

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well this yet another one of those Thai rather thin on details 'news' articles.

But there must already be a bilateral agreement with the UK, since I seem to recall watching the 'Banged Up Abroad' episode where Sandra Gregory, the gal that tried to smuggle heroin out of Don Muang, was after a couple of years in Lard Yao prison sent back to the UK to serve out the rest of her sentence.

I believe she was pardoned, because shortly after she came back to Thailand, but only got as far as Swampy and was refused entry, probably got the ticket on the assumption having been pardoned she was innocent, can't remember where i read it now but she wanted to meet up with the couple that got her to unknowingly carry the bag containing drugs or whatever it was, when she got pulled they denied ever meeting heri

20 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Was that the retarded lad that got 50 years for smuggling 1000 ecstasy pills

Archived