No more Lao VOA at Savannakhet Airport

It would seem the Lao authorities are no longer issuing visas on arrival at a number of border checkpoints including Savannakhet International Airport.  I guess this will affect those flying there (via Pakse) from Bangkok.  

Whether they can get their VOA at the stop in Pakse is not clear (all passengers have to disembark, but I doubt there would be time to get a visa), or if it means a trip to the Lao Embassy before you travel, is not clear.

https://laotiantimes.com/2019/10/18/nine-border-checkpoints-to-discontinue-visa-on-arrival-services/?fbclid=IwAR2WWEgyxlHlr_MF8_voYzOy34Nl4-Nmc89CuIDktzCDgmqWQQRverOvmuc

I've been across from Ubon to Pakse by bus several times, always get a Lao VOA. The bus waits until everyone is fixed up. All the times I've done it we were on our way to Pakse after about 35-45 minutes at the border. 

Been interesting to find out if this no more Lao VOA applies to every border point ie, Friendship Bridges, Vientiane & LP airports. Or if it's just to put a stop to the folk from Thailand heading to Savan' for Thai visas. Somehow I think it'll be the latter.

I've been across from Ubon to Pakse by bus several times, always get a Lao VOA. The bus waits until everyone is fixed up. All the times I've done it we were on our way to Pakse after about 35-45 minutes at the border. 

Been interesting to find out if this no more Lao VOA applies to every border point ie, Friendship Bridges, Vientiane & LP airports. Or if it's just to put a stop to the folk from Thailand heading to Savan' for Thai visas. Somehow I think it'll be the latter.
There is no indication that it is being applied at all border crossings. Savannakhet International Airport is specifically mentioned, but not Pakse or Chong Mek.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

this link turned up on another forum...

https://laotiantimes.com/2019/10/18/nine-border-checkpoints-to-discontinue-visa-on-arrival-services/

Nine Border Checkpoints to Discontinue Visa On Arrival Services

in addition to savannaket airport, most are vietnam crossings, with

the exception of two thai crossings:

-Nam Ngeun (Xayaboury Province)

-Nam Heuang (Xayaboury Province)

Archived