To use an agent or not?

Thank you Lacessit I have often wondered what would happen if one stopped using an agent.  Naturally if you meet all the conditions you are paying only for convenience so it is natural for those who have lost the income to show you how inconvenient the process actually is. You were given a classic run-around and the reason seems obvious but it may also be because the person with whom you dealt took a dislike to you. 

• Like 2

The diy option, whilst obviously cheaper, brings up some different situations.

In my case, I got the bank letter and a 6 month statement ( 200 baht ) from BKK bank nearest the IO.

I also updated my bank book, something I rarely do ,and there was a big jump in the transfers and withdrawals etc, hence the statement came into play.

I had the usual copies of passport but the IO insisted on a copy of every page of my passport , plus , a copy of every page of my bank book !! ( thankfully they didn’t charge me )

I also had a copy of my gf’s ID and Tabian Baan ( as my landlord )requested, luckily I had these available.

Got a re-entry permit at the same time.

My passport was passed to the next desk for signing and after the IO had made another 3 copies of my passport (????) I was done.

It was all done in a friendly manner and only took quite a while because of a van load of visiting monks in front of me !!

Ayutthaya IO is a small friendly office and makes the whole process go smoothly and stress free.

If only they could cut down on the flagrant waste of copies !! ☹️

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why? Agents are great option for folk eg unable to have 800k in bank. 

I attended CW Oct 8. Went to bank obtained bank letter and at same time made deposit to show activity. Imm has all the major banks. The rest was walk in the park. Arrived 11.40 got my que #, had meal 12-1pm. Home by 3.15 with 1 hr travel. As far as reentry permit, what's with obtain at imm. I get it at airport 10 mins. 

Agents are for folk without the criteria.

According to the French guy I spoke to, CW is easy compared to CM Immigration.

I did notice most of the work was done by female officers. The function of many male officers there seemed to be either strutting around, or interrupting the females with chit-chat.

One guy there with a microphone was delivering instructions in Thai and badly-accented English periodically. I'm sure most of the assembled populace wished he would shut up, because he was drowning out the calls to ticket numbers on a quieter circuit.

Agents are also for folk who want convenience, and that costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Nice one. When you go next time it will be a lot faster now that you know what they want.

you can now celebrate with some free beers from your savings ???? 

I celebrated with a beef tornedo and a small carafe of a decent house red at an Italian restaurant.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The point that seems to be missed is that if the immigration officer stretches discretion too far and gets caught, it is the agent's client who gets dropped in it with a voided visa.

Unlikely, especially if there are several palms getting greased.  IO boss discretion + his/her boss + his/her boss.   Usually it might temporarily stop or shift a bit when a new boss comes in.   I doubt the brown envelopes will 100% stop [permanently]

It does also depend on the office.  CM seems to have cleaned up their act to where you actually can attempt to do it yourself without having to queue from 04:00.  But even then, there is the issue of convenience.  Especially if you reside 80+km from the nearest office that accepts applications.   It's not just people who need certain [financial] requirements waived.

edit:  and the applications are actually getting processed.   It would be different if money was paid, but nothing was gained.

Edited by 4evermaat

The most important thing is to remember that there are "Agents and Agents".
Stay away from "low-cost-agents".
- With a good agent, no 800K will have to be deposited. Will also do your 90 day reports at no additional charge.
Make sure, that at least 1 staff-member speaks good English/or your native language.
Have good address in Pattaya (English/German). In business for decades. For details, can PM me.

• Haha 2

People using agents because they do not have the necessary money in the bank are setting themselves up for potential problems in the future. 800k is hardly a large amount and living on the breadline, which a lot of these jokers are, becomes a crisis if huge medical bills are needed to be paid. Unfortunately you cannot bribe the Doctors to use their discretion about paying them. What are the agent payers going to do when they bring in compulsory health insurance for extensions, more bribes and under the table dealings? Horrible way to extend your stay here, but the agents and IO's who are exploiting ex pats poverty or desperation are more than happy of course.

• Haha 1

Why? Agents are great option for folk eg unable to have 800k in bank. 

I attended CW Oct 8. Went to bank obtained bank letter and at same time made deposit to show activity. Imm has all the major banks. The rest was walk in the park. Arrived 11.40 got my que #, had meal 12-1pm. Home by 3.15 with 1 hr travel. As far as reentry permit, what's with obtain at imm. I get it at airport 10 mins. 

Agents are for folk without the criteria.

And for those with the criteria who just find it convenient and time saving.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You seem to be confusing me with someone who is on a moral high horse. If you had bothered to read my OP, you can see I've been here for a number of years and I have some knowledge of the way the system works. And I have used it previously.

Are you seriously suggesting Thailand has no laws concerning bribery of government officials? Last time I looked, Thailand had laws about prostitution and gambling which are definitely more honoured in the breach than the observance.

No, I can't name instances of problems. I am pointing out a risk factor. You think I have a pipeline into Immigration?

You are welcome to bottle up your vitriol and take it off this thread at any time.

Fair enough, I am sure you have been living here and have knowledge about how the system works. That´s not the point here. You started replying to me about that the law was broken when an applicant using an agent get the financials waived by a high ranking Immigration Officer that has that power by his given individual discretion.

The only thing I am doing is asking you to show me the law you base your reply on, or just admitt it´s only your opinion and not the facts which means you have to admitt you´re wrong.

• Sad 2