To use an agent or not?

12 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

When you go next time it will be a lot faster now that you know what they want.

I guess you did not notice that they are constantly changing their requirements and expectations. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I guess you did not notice that they are constantly changing their requirements and expectations. 

Hmmm...maybe I am just a positive guy with very little negativity.

I just smile and carry on with life.

I like it, it makes me happy ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Fair enough, I am sure you have been living here and have knowledge about how the system works. That´s not the point here. You started replying to me about that the law was broken when an applicant using an agent get the financials waived by a high ranking Immigration Officer that has that power by his given individual discretion.

The only thing I am doing is asking you to show me the law you base your reply on, or just admitt it´s only your opinion and not the facts which means you have to admitt you´re wrong.

No, I can't show you the law, because I can't read Thai. And I'm not privy to government statutes. That does not mean I am wrong. Perhaps you have not heard of the aphorism absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No, I can't show you the law, because I can't read Thai. And I'm not privy to government statutes. That does not mean I am wrong. Perhaps you have not heard of the aphorism absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

An answer as expected. By the way, good aphorism! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

By now, I’ve worked out the easiest way to update the bankbook is deposit 500 baht in the cash machine, then use the passbook update machine to get the new balance. Which I do at 6 am the next day.

Sounds like you don't use Bangkok Bank, which doesn't require any activity to update your balance -- it's just a 'balance forward' entry for the date accomplished.

On the attached copy of my savings acct passbook, I got my bank letter on 6 Aug -- at which time I updated my passbook. The next day, as I headed for Immigration, I stopped at my bank and got a same-day 'balance forward' of my passbook. Not sure this was needed, but some reports on this forum indicated it was, so no big deal, as my bank is on the way to Immigration (as well as a thousand others).

I guess some banks won't give you a new balance (or balance forward) unless there has been some subsequent activity since the last update.......(?).

bangkok bank passbook curt aug 2019.jpg

Edited by JimGant
  • Thanks 2

Fun story and I sympathize but a good reading and a question or two on the Immigration Colum, on the Chiang Mai branch would have solved problems 1 and 2 for you, if not all the rest. Example All places are not the same. I assume many IO’s want you to update your passbook on the day of your application extension … But Chiang Mai does not.

If you have the money then use an agent, up2u, less stress, and who cares what people think . Hope it goes better next time.

9 hours ago, JimGant said:

Sounds like you don't use Bangkok Bank, which doesn't require any activity to update your balance -- it's just a 'balance forward' entry for the date accomplished.

On the attached copy of my savings acct passbook, I got my bank letter on 6 Aug -- at which time I updated my passbook. The next day, as I headed for Immigration, I stopped at my bank and got a same-day 'balance forward' of my passbook. Not sure this was needed, but some reports on this forum indicated it was, so no big deal, as my bank is on the way to Immigration (as well as a thousand others).

I guess some banks won't give you a new balance (or balance forward) unless there has been some subsequent activity since the last update.......(?).

bangkok bank passbook curt aug 2019.jpg

Oops. Actually, my passbook is with Bangkok Bank, but I never thought to check what you are saying. No harm done either way.

My Kasikorn account does not update automatically, so that's probably where I got the idea. Thanks.

Edited by Lacessit

9 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Fun story and I sympathize but a good reading and a question or two on the Immigration Colum, on the Chiang Mai branch would have solved problems 1 and 2 for you, if not all the rest. Example All places are not the same. I assume many IO’s want you to update your passbook on the day of your application extension … But Chiang Mai does not.

If you have the money then use an agent, up2u, less stress, and who cares what people think . Hope it goes better next time.

I think it depends on the IO you get, because mine at CM checked the date carefully. I do know if one is using an agent the date is not an issue, because the update then is 1-3 days old before it gets to Immigration.

I wasn't looking for sympathy. From my point of view, I've saved myself 5500 baht for a bit of inconvenience.

• Like 1

I use an Agent. Costs me about B8K plus gov fee.

This year under 10 mins, in to out for my 12 month R visa. They do my 90 day for which I deliver my passport then collect from their office a day or so later. 

Before Thailand entered Asian I did my own visa and 90 day but the massive increase in folk visiting Immigration caused me to use an agent, old and summer heat being part of my reasoning.

I believe that the Thai dealing with Thai authority makes for an easier relationship, we frangs do not know how to address ourselves to Thai Policemen, which immigration officials are.

The 2 other main Frang complains with the Thai system are both home goals in my view. When I did my own visa it was to show B800K in my bank account on the day of visa issue. After that I could use the money as I wanted.

But of course some Frangs found the could borrow B800K for a few days for a fee said to be B20-30K, then empty their bank account to repay. As one had to show ones Bank book the authorities caught on to this and first we had money in for 2 months before, now B800K in for 5 months and B400K for 12 months, yes a home goal for all, Thai law says B800K, if you don't want to play Go, end of story don't inflict pain on us playing the game.

2nd issue is the Medical insurance, some visitors on their first year in Thailand have been blamed for running up millions of baht debt in Thai Government hospitals. Thai response is Medical Insurance for all, regardless of age of status of health, it will come to that and not just the O-A visa. I have paid for my half dozen hospital visits and operations out of my own pocket as I always planned to do. B65K for last visit and B91K for last operation.

Now the folk who have run and left debt are shafting all of us yet another home goal, I cannot put my feelings into polite words but Hunt is nearest description I have for these people and the B800K merchants.

john

On 10/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Momofarang said:

Yeah, you keep repeating that agents are a good help to break the law...

and what about ALL the rules/laws on the roads that are BROKEN every hour of every day??? !!!

Edited by essox essox
after thought

"I use an Agent. Costs me about B8K plus gov fee."

"Use an agent, 15k saves you a lot of troubles."

"I've saved myself 5500 baht for a bit of inconvenience."

Lot of different figures. What is the cost anyway?

This year I did it myself because, well because. However, if Chiang Mai reverts back to the mob scene mayhem of years gone by, I could see doing it by an agent.

As in I have all the documents copies signed etc., 800k salted, seasoned, totally legal legit and ready to go. The agent would not need to assemble any paperwork. I would have done that. This would be just another renewal of the extension for reasons of retirement. All the agent is doing is taking it in to get it done fast and with no hassle.

Any Chiang Mai real time quotes on that? Just thinking about next year.

Now that I posted this ... thanks for your post up yodsak  :thumbsup:

Edited by LomSak27

39 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

This year I did it myself because, well because. However, if Chiang Mai reverts back to the mob scene mayhem of years gone by, I could see doing it by an agent.

As in I have all the documents copies signed etc., 800k salted, seasoned, totally legal legit and ready to go. The agent would not need to assemble any paperwork. I would have done that. This would be just another renewal of the extension for reasons of retirement. All the agent is doing is taking it in to get it done fast and with no hassle.

In my experience, using an agent at CM took anywhere between half an hour and one and half hours. Doing it by myself, four hours. However, that's a sample of one, and next time could be the same or 7-8 hours. It's a lottery.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yodsak said:

Advertised on TVF.  And Google.   Must be legit ?  They would not advertise illegal services.

Or would they ?

149913673_ScreenShot2019-10-21at08_24_40.png.b20d8ca0bff562a21c9c6a346ad43b5b.png

If not illegal you don't need them then, any more than you do to fill out the form and get a queue number. If you think what they do is legal just ask at your office next time- excuse me I don't have the funds in my account can I just pay you 17k for a retirement extension, I know it's legal cos I saw an ad for the same service on the internet. ????

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

They are different for different services, the cheap number is just for filling out the form and taking you there then queue jumping, for the types who have difficulty finding the toilet. The high figures are for payment to IO to ignore the lack of bank funds.

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

If you have better things to do and can't be bothered with queues ,waiting, filling in forms, dealing with thai officialdom and have the funds it's 7k all in .  [pattaya]

If you are short on the funds or don't want to tie them up then it's 14/15k. for retirement visa renewal . 

If you need tourist visa or 30day exempt converting to non-o to retirement the price starts at 20k.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yodsak said:

If you have better things to do and can't be bothered with queues ,waiting, filling in forms, dealing with thai officialdom and have the funds it's 7k all in .  [pattaya]

What??

- There is just no queue at Pattaya Immigration for Retirement Extensions. If you have more than 1 person in front of you, or stay more than 10 minutes inside the office, then you are very unlucky :ohmy:

- There is just ONE form that you can fill in advance when at home

- You don't have to deal with any officer, but just with an "helper" who will quickly check your documents, usually without a word... except to ask for the fee

I don't see any reason in such a case to pay 7k when you can easily do it yourself for 1.9k...

5 hours ago, yodsak said:

If you are short on the funds or don't want to tie them up then it's 14/15k. for retirement visa renewal . At Pattaya.

If you need tourist visa or 30day exempt converting to non-o to retirement the price starts at 20k.

Went today - income method [ only 10 transfers { No problems and pick up passport tomorrow at 2 pm. 1900 Baht . Arrived 0820 ticket number 804 and out the door at 0836.

Edited by pontious

I realise that all immigration offices are different , but my experience at Jomtien is that they are very slick and professional. I’ve personally seen the officers giving a scolding to individuals that didn’t complete their 90 check ins or TM 30 registrations on time and just given them a warning to do better next time. No fines. 

Certainly at Jomtien no need to use an agent unless you can’t meet the criteria or truly do need assistance. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

There is just no queue at Pattaya Immigration for Retirement Extensions. If you have more than 1 person in front of you, or stay more than 10 minutes inside the office, then you are very unluck

Although I might hazard a guess that you are deliberately avoiding mention of having to get into the queue at the entrance to get your ticket, which sometimes forces you out into the sun. 

Once inside it moves well I agree. Still, I have to drive for an hour each way and struggle to park.... twice...it would be worth a few thousand not to do any of that. 

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Although I might hazard a guess that you are deliberately avoiding mention of having to get into the queue at the entrance to get your ticket, which sometimes forces you out into the sun. 

Once inside it moves well I agree. Still, I have to drive for an hour each way and struggle to park.... twice...it would be worth a few thousand not to do any of that. 

There is a car park nearly opposite immigration that charges 40 baht for as long as you like.