Silver Spitfire

Dellboy218

It does seem to be very quiet about the arrival of the Silver Spitfire Sunday week.  The last I saw it mentioned in the Thai press was in August.  Has anyone seen any information on where and when or if the general public is allowed to visit?

8 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Having no idea what you were talking about I turned to Google and found this gem on sikverspitfire.com

Jesus wept, the presumption. 

Think again.

Not for the Spitfire ( and the Hurricane ), Britain would have lost to the Germans, the Americans would have had no base to attack Germany, the Russians would have received no military supplies and the Nazis would still be ruling those of us unfortunate enough to be born into their sphere of influence.

There were in fact 3 Eagle Squadrons in the RAF before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Squadrons

The Eagle Squadrons were three fighter squadrons of the Royal Air Force (RAF) formed with volunteer pilots from the United States during the early days of World War II (circa 1940), prior to America's entry into the war in December 1941.

With the United States still neutral, many Americans simply crossed the border and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) to learn to fly and fight. Many early recruits had originally gone to Europe to fight for Finland against the Soviet Union in the Winter War. Some had been rejected by the United States Army Air Corps as "lacking in intrinsic flying ability".

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

With the United States still neutral, many Americans simply crossed the border and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) to learn to fly and fight.

I guess that back in those days (up untill 3 years ago) Canada was not a threat to U.S. security as Trump now says it is. One other thing, most of the bombers that flew to Britain from North America left from Newfoundland and were crewed by women. You may remember Gander Newfoundland from 9-11 when many passenger planes were made welcome after U.S. shut down their airspace.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Spitfire and Hurricane played a part but no Yanks and the Limeys would be speaking German, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It was a combined  effort by many allied forces that beat Germany,  Italy and Japan, each country  having it's own equally  important pivotal role through the six years of conflict. French troops at Dunquerqe holding back the advancing Panzer divisions,  The Dutch navy in the evacuation...hundreds of examples of gallantry from many nations.

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I guess that back in those days (up untill 3 years ago) Canada was not a threat to U.S. security as Trump now says it is. One other thing, most of the bombers that flew to Britain from North America left from Newfoundland and were crewed by women. You may remember Gander Newfoundland from 9-11 when many passenger planes were made welcome after U.S. shut down their airspace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_air_ferry_route_in_World_War_II

The route was developed as one of four major routes along which United States aircraft were ferried to the major combat areas. It originated at several Army Air Bases in New England, which permitted short range single-engined aircraft to be flown to Britain using a series of intermediate airfields in Newfoundland, Labrador, Greenland and Iceland. Long-range multi-engined aircraft could be flown from Newfoundland directly using Great Circle routes to airfields in Ireland and southwest England; or via the Azores to the UK or airfields in French Morocco to support Allied air forces in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO). Later in the war, air routes over the North Atlantic were developed from South Florida via Bermuda to the Azores.[1]

Many serious problems were encountered, and the total loss rate on the route approached 10%.

That must have been a <deleted> of a journey for young inexperienced crews in bombers and even worse in single seat fighters who had to take shorter hops. 

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Go to Rotweiler's link in post #14 and follow it.

Perhaps you should try reading first.  I know the Silver Spitfire links but I did specifically ask about local information about where and how. 

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Thank you, it seems wgdanson was incapable of the lateral thinking neccesary to spot and correct the typo. 

Of course I was, but if no-one tells you something is wrong, you will never learn.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, metempsychotic said:

Thank you, it seems wgdanson was incapable of the lateral thinking neccesary to spot and correct the typo. 

Doesn't say much for yours either. Having needed to ask the question in the first place.

res

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Assume you're joking also, the Silver Spitfire isn't silver either!

Really? Please expand upon your version of the color and your knowledge of why some WW2 spitfires were silver.

Noted you didn't comment on other discrepancies.

Archived