SURVEY: Sex abuse at temples -- Problem or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Sex abuse at temples -- Problem or not?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no way of knowing if its worse now or not, but because of social media we learn more about the problem, it does worry me when i hear the young novices at a wat i know who stay in the wat not sure how long that is 3 weeks ? although they can see their parents they are not allowed any physical contact , first time away from mum and dad, alone with a monk all day, my heckles are raised. 

14 hours ago, Guitarzan said:

The quintessential farang know it all, making fun of the culture that feeds you.

This culture ain't feeding me anything, although they are trying to force feed it. I'm a paying customer of Thailand, Inc and they are my paid for entertainment. Mildly amusing at most times.

By asking this question, ThaiVisa is promoting, and making a bigger issue out of this than it is, by likening it to the massive problems in the Catholic church.  If indeed this is a problem on the scale that we need a survey, I think the Thai people can sort it out. If you are going to live in Thailand learn about and respect the Buddhist religion. Nothing worse than these foreigners who come here full of their political and religious baggage feeling superior. When basically all they do is drink beer and chase women. 
I agree with this.... Buddhism is a philosophy!..... not a Religion..... there are no Gods,no one to worship, please do study up.....It is the purest form of believing in a way of life which is so rich and deep with wisdom and knowledge....all beginning with Correct /Right Understanding!

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar and Misunderstandings!
Best
Hash

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

This culture ain't feeding me anything, although they are trying to force feed it. I'm a paying customer of Thailand, Inc and they are my paid for entertainment. Mildly amusing at most times.

Colonialism is making a come back!  

17 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

I agree with this.... Buddhism is a philosophy!..... not a Religion..... there are no Gods,no one to worship, please do study up.....It is the purest form of believing in a way of life which is so rich and deep with wisdom and knowledge....all beginning with Correct /Right Understanding!

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar and Misunderstandings!
Best
Hash

I believe Buddhism is more that a philosophy, in fact I don’t think it is a philosophy at all. One could better describe it as a way of life, or a practice, but even that fails to encompass the entire scope of it. There are many practical aspects, as well as more mystical aspects. There are many schools of Buddhism. Varjrayana, Mayahana, and Hinayana. 

Tibetan Buddhists believe in many deities and for lack of a better word “worship” those deities as an aid to achieving enlightenment. 

The Buddha acknowledged the existence of Gods, in fact the Buddha visited the Tu<deleted>a heaven for 3 months to liberate his mother.

During the Buddha’s paranirvana many Gods appeared, and was said the more advanced disciples saw them and could communicate with them. 

So, I don’t think you can define Buddhism as merely a philosophy, nor does it fit comfortably as a religion in the western sense. However, as far as communicating to both eastern and western people, I prefer the word religion because that is the established precedent used by most people in the world, while acknowledging problems with this definition as well. 

28 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Repression creates these phenomena.
In this case, the sexual repression of monks, who are also human beings.

I would give a partner to anyone, there would be no sexual repression and perhaps libertinism.

Interesting choice of words “sexual repression”.  If you understood any of the Buddhist teaching, you would understand the motivation for pure virtue, remaining celibate, avoiding sexual misconduct, isn’t simply repression, it has many benefits to someone who has renounced the world. For those like you, who haven’t investigated the deeper aspects of the Buddha’s teaching, yes, it would appear as a form of repression. 

The Buddha one reprimanded a disciple for breaking his vow, and having sexual relations with a girl in order to fulfill the wishes of his mother and father for a future family lineage.

The Buddha told him, it was better to put your penis into the mouth of a poisonous snake, than into a women’s vagina. 

Im sure though this analogy will fly over the heads of our all knowing pleasure seeking, beer drinking, farang, and they will enlighten us. 

On 10/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Saint Nick said:
On 10/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, Moonlover said:

I do not think that there are any, or least very few falangs around who have sufficient knowledge or information on this topic to make this survey worthwhile.

It's simple an opening for the usual crop of religion/Thai bashers to 'have a go'.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Saint Nick said:

Yeah right!

Please protect organized religion and a culture of mai bpen rai!

You will never catch me protecting organized religion!

My comment was aimed at the quality of some contributors to TVF.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, Guitarzan said:

I believe Buddhism is more that a philosophy, in fact I don’t think it is a philosophy at all. One could better describe it as a way of life, or a practice, but even that fails to encompass the entire scope of it. There are many practical aspects, as well as more mystical aspects. There are many schools of Buddhism. Varjrayana, Mayahana, and Hinayana. 

Tibetan Buddhists believe in many deities and for lack of a better word “worship” those deities as an aid to achieving enlightenment. 

The Buddha acknowledged the existence of Gods, in fact the Buddha visited the Tu<deleted>a heaven for 3 months to liberate his mother.

During the Buddha’s paranirvana many Gods appeared, and was said the more advanced disciples saw them and could communicate with them. 

So, I don’t think you can define Buddhism as merely a philosophy, nor does it fit comfortably as a religion in the western sense. However, as far as communicating to both eastern and western people, I prefer the word religion because that is the established precedent used by most people in the world, while acknowledging problems with this definition as well. 

1. The study of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning.
2. A system of thought based on or involving such study: the philosophy of Hume.

My opinion is of the meaning of the word philosophy.

A way of life can only be lived when one believes in the principles and definitions.My personal origins are Brahman,who were Siddhartha's advisors,the same who advise the Monks here in Thailand.For me Buddhism is most certainly a way of life., easy to non-restrictive..It all begins with "Correct Understanding'!

Good day and thank you for communicating!

On 10/21/2019 at 10:48 PM, Guitarzan said:

Really, Theravada Buddhism is made up?

every last bit  of  it  like all religions totally made up by man/woman just  lie all the  failed ones before it think Thor, it  will fade to nothing

On 10/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Scott said:

a problem that has just been under reported?  

This. The same as Catholic preists. More reporting due to rise of social media, less reverence by the general population ergo less tolerance of this behaviour.

Swearing an oath of celbacy when joining a religious order then giving them free access to vulnerable young boys is a breeding ground for paedophiles. Particularly gay paedophiles.

Archived