The Thailand of today.

swissie

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

25bht is far too expensive for me, I prefer to cook my own food at home for 10bht.

I cooked food at home too, but it was more expensive than buying a big bag of fried rice chicken at a local restaurant for 50 baht that would do for 3 meals if I really tried.

Unfortunately I liked things like hot dogs, which did cost a bit once taking into account the bread rolls, the mayo, mustard and ketchup, not forgetting the paper towel to wipe the ketchup off my chin after. 

For burgers, I always checked out KFC for the specials. Burger for 25 baht wasn't bad.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2019 at 3:55 AM, RichardColeman said:

........................but still filled with 3rd world mumbo jumbo

They still grind up dead babys for lucky amulets !! 

Thats 3rd world country test number 6 IIRC.. Right up there with killing albinos for the magic inside them ????

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never touched the 800,000, and took it all out of Thailand when I left. I'm not the only one does that.

My monthly outgoings were about 20,000, far short of your 50,000. 

Without a lot more statistics, your calculations are just speculation.

For every farang that eats at Dukes there are probably two that eat 25 baht Thai dishes.

We ain't discussing rural Thais without a pot.

Living on 20,000 baht is tough. No wonder you left. My Monthly fixed bills come to 18,000 baht a month (mortgage, car loan, water, electric, gas, car insurance, thai funeral plans). Food, petrol and other shopping add at least another 10,000 a month. Then the school fees ..... home maintenance, entertainment. Don't get any change out of 40,000 (I rarely eat out, drink little and do not smoke). Family of 3. I do not know anyone living on 25 baht street food, although most now eat at home due to the poor exchange rate.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:35 AM, rickudon said:

Living on 20,000 baht is tough. No wonder you left. My Monthly fixed bills come to 18,000 baht a month (mortgage, car loan, water, electric, gas, car insurance, thai funeral plans). Food, petrol and other shopping add at least another 10,000 a month. Then the school fees ..... home maintenance, entertainment. Don't get any change out of 40,000 (I rarely eat out, drink little and do not smoke). Family of 3. I do not know anyone living on 25 baht street food, although most now eat at home due to the poor exchange rate.

I didn't leave because I was living on 20,000 baht a month. I left because I couldn't afford insurance as well. I could eat and rent a room, or have insurance.

My outgoings were 15,000 a month hotel room. Included electric, water, cable tv, internet, room cleaning, AC and fan.

5,000 covered food and movies etc.

Money for visa etc was separate- never touched the 800,000 for extensions.

Not an exciting life, but I was happy enough.

No car to pay off

no wife to support

definitely no children- why would I want any?

Didn't rent women or frequent barbeers. It did help living in Chiang Mai where the night life is a bad joke. I might have been tempted had I lived in Pattaya.

Never ate street food. Restaurant once a week on hamburger night- 110 baht.

I had no problem living on 25 baht fried rice meals. 

When I was married, she worked, we lived for free in the family home which I spent a lot of time working on ( at my expense ) as it was a dump.

I bought most of the food, but I didn't pay for her alcohol. I paid the bills. If we went out I paid. If we went to the village in her car I paid for the fuel.

Still cost less than living on my own for expenses.

Had I married a woman that expected not to work, paid rent, owned a vehicle, or had children ( no earthly idea why I would ) it would have been a different situation, but I'd never have married a woman that didn't want to work or wanted to have children.

Archived