Being a victim of fake NGK Iridium spark plugs from a seller on E-bay

Isaanbiker

Hello bike lovers,

I've just recently overhauled my carbs, but still had an issue with backfiring and thought it was carburetor related. So, I basically synched and tried to adjust my carbs for a few weeks@!

The irony is that I've just posted a thread not too long ago warning others of too many fake NGK spark plugs out there on e-bay, not knowing that I had fakes in my own bike being a victim myself. 

I've bought mine a while ago thru ebay from a well known seller and was pretty certain that they were genuine. A seller from the UK who even has an add saying "100 % genuine", like so many others who sell fake plugs.

I found out that I had a faulty spark plug after I watched a short movie I've made in the dark when the engine was idling. It's only visible when you watch it in the dark and you can see how the sparks go to the lower minus part right under the spark plug cap. 

The photo of the fake Iridium I had in my bike makes it clear. They were in for only 1,500 km's and the black parts right under the letters "Iridium" are the areas where the spark goes onto the spark plugs minus from the inner plug, which is causing backfiring, a loss of power and other problems where you might think it's carb related.

These days it is almost impossible to see if it's a fake plug, the package, the numbers, etc.. look very similar to the originals. The only part they do not copy well is the thread of the plugs. It looks like it's handmade and not with a machine.

You can see on the photo that the cheapest material was used for NGK Iridium copies that should last forever. Unfortunately, are way too many coming from the UK when you check on ebay. The joke is that these sellers even tell you that it's a 100 % genuine NGK Iridium. Most who sell fake ones advertise with the same photo on ebay.

There are plenty of advertisements with the same photo of a genuine NGK and the sellers must know what they offer. 

If you can get your NGK's direct from the company go for it. I'm not happy about the fact that there seem to be quite a few guys who're doing the same old rip off game. 

Look at the thread, if that looks a bit fishy, it's a fake. Real NGK spark plugs have a very nice machine made accurate thread without any rough signs that are only so poor when cut by hand. 

Ride safe with real parts you're buying with your real money. And please think twice next time when you order something online. 

Fake Iridium.jpg

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you expect from Iridium spark plugs?

Just hype in my book. 

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. ... However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Just hype in my book. 

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. ... However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity.

You're sight. I've ordered some "better plugs" just for the sake of having a good running bike.

Longevity was one reason, but I had no idea that so many shops are selling fake goods. 

Autolite 63 are the best ones for my bike, I'll never buy Iridium again, a waste of money. Thanks for clarification. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so special about Iridium spark plugs?

I had a couple of bikes in my life and some of them were high performance and they all worked just fine with ordinary spark plugs.

What do you expect from Iridium spark plugs?

I had the impression that they'd be "better", but they are not. I thought these plugs would do a good job and last forever. 

I was online shopping needed spark plugs and thought these plugs would  be great.

Now I know that I was totally wrong. Ordinary ones are much better to read if the carbs are doing a good job.

I know now that it was wasted money and it's scary how many fake goods you see on ebay. One more life lesson learned.  

Thanks for your input. 

22 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I know now that it was wasted money and it's scary how many fake goods you see on ebay. One more life lesson learned.  

Did you contact seller or ebay?  When I received a fake product they removed seller immediately and an hour later when I tried to make claim they said seller was no longer part of ebay so they not responsible.  Another time a fake memory stick was made good by seller.  Not a fan of ebay.

59 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you contact seller or ebay?  When I received a fake product they removed seller immediately and an hour later when I tried to make claim they said seller was no longer part of ebay so they not responsible.  Another time a fake memory stick was made good by seller.  Not a fan of ebay.

It's one of the bigger sellers with the word power and a word that creates that hot thing you need to start your bike. 100 % customer satisfaction?

I've sent ebay a message and they've just replied that they'll get in touch with the seller.

The seller is unreachable, too many people seem to have sent messages. Or they just found a way not to receive messages?

Now it's not about a few baht, it's about my wasted time when I thought I had carb problems, but it was caused by these fake plugs.

As others have already mentioned, ordinary plugs do the trick, plus they're much better to read how the carbs do their job.

Thanks for posting! 

59 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Me neither I've got a fuel cock tap Ebay said would fit my bikes fuel tank, the postage cost to send it back costs more than the useless tap. 

+ 1. I've bought some cheap Chinese stuff that didn't work. But got my money back immediately before they receive a negative review.

I've bought PC programs where people sold one year valid programs that were only good for six months, when I got in touch with the seller she wanted to tell me that she'd send me another key once the program had expired.

I had to get in touch with ebay, got my money back and left a bad review. Money doesn't make a bad product to a better one.

I think it's fair to warn others not to buy such <deleted>. 

E.....suc_s. 

As I said in your other thread, used Iridium NGK for years in all my vehicles.

Work very well, especially in LPG applications.

"Reading" plugs - like back in the day with leaded gasoline, is much more difficult now with unleaded gas.

Use a remote temp gauge, aim at exhaust pipe close as possible to the port.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

As I said in your other thread, used Iridium NGK for years in all my vehicles.

Work very well, especially in LPG applications.

"Reading" plugs - like back in the day with leaded gasoline, is much more difficult now with unleaded gas.

Use a remote temp gauge, aim at exhaust pipe close as possible to the port.

You're right, but I do not need Iridiums for an older classic bike, a Yamaha Virago. The ones with copper burn fuel much better and it's just wishful thinking to have the best in your engine.

i think I understand when to give a bit more fuel to one cylinder, or less. Carbs are synched and sparks are alright.

I've pout in ordinary BPR 7 ES and it runs great, powerful that I can never check the high speed on an ordinary road. 

And then on top of it, people sell you fake ones.

Sorry, but that's too much and when you go on ebay's website of that product you can see hundreds of people who sell the same ( fake) product. Only from the UK. 

if one overheats and they tend to do that, parts can fall into your combustion chamber and make a new form of papaya salad you won't like. 

No more Iridiums for me/ I rather change the plugs every 2,000 km.

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are so many fake goods and fake sellers ( Hong Kong is a red flag ) on eBay I no longer shop there.

A Hong Kong location is no more a red flag than any dodgy US, UK or European location, there are many reputable sellers in HK.

If you get something fake from eBay, what's the problem, just get a refund, it's all part of the deal, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

A Hong Kong location is no more a red flag than any dodgy US, UK or European location, there are many reputable sellers in HK.

If you get something fake from eBay, what's the problem, just get a refund, it's all part of the deal, isn't it?

Nope, you can't get in touch with the seller because it says that too many messages were sent already. But I informed Ebay and they got in touch with him/her.

A seller with a 100 % reputation seems to know how to avoid problems. Just waiting for an answer, Ebay already got in touch with me. These people know exactly what they are selling. 

But not enough people stand up for their rights. I do. Just another piece in the puzzle of life. 

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe not - as I stated as soon as I informed ebay they removed seller and claimed no responsibility as seller not part of their system anymore.  On another claim seller dragged out process until gave up after providing mutl photos and week delay in each response.  Believe PayPal will now provide help if you use that channel for payment but I gave up years ago.

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are so many fake goods and fake sellers ( Hong Kong is a red flag ) on eBay I no longer shop there.

Ebay, Amazon, Alibaba/Lazada...

Fancy a 2 TB USB stick for 3xx Baht? :cheesy::cheesy:

Tons of those on Lazada.

The real one from Kingston would cost at least 700 USD (21000 Baht).

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

By the time you pay the cost of shipping it back to a supplier who changes identities like I change socks, it's not worth it, even if one gets a refund. Hong Kong is notorious for inflated shipping charges. Admittedly there are dodgy US suppliers as well.

I once bought a set of lightweight golf shafts from the US. Lightweight steel shafts are 40 gm or less. The ones I got were 65 gm. Just wasn't worth the hassle, and I dumped eBay. They keep sending me bonus and discount offers, because I can't get off their email list. i ignore every one.

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

By the time you pay the cost of shipping it back to a supplier who changes identities like I change socks, it's not worth it, even if one gets a refund. Hong Kong is notorious for inflated shipping charges. 

They keep sending me bonus and discount offers, because I can't get off their email list. i ignore every one.

"...shipping it back to a supplier who changes identities like I change socks..."

Most people know that buying from sellers with no reputation to check is very risky, sellers who have a good rep and have been around a couple of years do not change their IDs.  

If you've been sold something that's not genuine or as described the seller is not your problem, eBay refunds you and then sorts it out with the dodgy seller.

"Hong Kong is notorious for inflated shipping charges".

No problem when you're returning something, the buyer doesn't pay HK shipping charges!

"They keep sending me bonus and discount offers...i ignore every one!

You know that you buy from sellers, you don't but anything from eBay?  Why assume that every seller is dodgy?

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe not - as I stated as soon as I informed ebay they removed seller and claimed no responsibility as seller not part of their system anymore. 

Sorry, but I've bought and sold many items on eBay and have had several refunds, the company is far from perfect but I don't believe eBay works the way you described it.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Nope, you can't get in touch with the seller because it says that too many messages were sent already. But I informed Ebay and they got in touch with him/her.

Exactly, if no response is forthcoming from the seller in a couple of days all that has to be done is open a case with eBay and you're covered.

Everything is fake on eBay. Flash drives, baby formula you name it. No shocker. Should have known better. In fact, Amazon has this problem as well and also does little or nothing to police itself. Imagine the Thai online sites just a thieves den.

Blame China. Why innovative? Copy a facsimile and sell at discount. Winning.

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Sorry, but I've bought and sold many items on eBay and have had several refunds, the company is far from perfect but I don't believe eBay works the way you described it.

This happened to me exactly as I wrote.  

4 hours ago, johng said:

Can you post a clearer photo of your fake NGK spark.plug thread.

Of course. It's not just the thread, also the material is of low quality.

Also the shape of the electrode is a bit different. 

Here's more info covering a different type of plug. 

P.S. The thread was worse when they were new.

But I had them out a thousand times which might have fixed the thread a bit. 

The plug body looks worse than a few years old ordinary plug! Iridium, my ar_e!

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-ngk-cr9eix-iridium-ix-spark-plugs-2018/

fake plug II.jpg

fake plug.jpg

14 hours ago, Doge said:

Everything is fake on eBay. Flash drives, baby formula you name it. No shocker. Should have known better. In fact, Amazon has this problem as well and also does little or nothing to police itself. Imagine the Thai online sites just a thieves den.

Blame China. Why innovative? Copy a facsimile and sell at discount. Winning.

Garbage, everything is not fake on eBay.  And your remark about Thai online sites is just offensive Thai-bashing.

32 minutes ago, johng said:

a closer look  there are many ‘chunks’ and ‘nicks’ on the thread.

19077087_zoom2P_20191021_135321_SRES.thumb.jpg.43bf62135ac5d940cf14761e1a8d6a94.jpg

Then it's fake because the real ones are made with machines that make perfect threads without such "chunks and nicks."

This thread on the photo is to 100 % done by hand and the shape of the outer electrode is a bit different on real ones. One more victim, welcome to the club!

Get your money back and take them out. If  a piece lands in your combustion chamber it will be expensive. It happened before. 

I guess you're not alone. BTW, I had to learn that Iridiums are really not the best choice for my classic "Yamaha Virago 1100". 

We've got a nice Virago forum and the Autolite 63 seems to be the best spark for my bike. Please google Iridium BPR 7 EIX, UK only and see how many of them are selling the same old <deleted>.

As already mentioned, the only positive part of them is the longevity. 

Archived