Buying a new TV

wayned

I have a very old 45" Samsung Plasma TV that's on it's last legs.  Over the years it's been in the shop three-four times and every time it had to be sent off to an "authorized Repair Center" to be repaired costing about 3000 baht each time since technicians no longer repair circuit boards, they change them.  Two of the times it was the power board most likely due to the sh*tty power PEA supplies, now it's the vertical plasma control board causing vertical lines in the picture.  In addition the beast draws 385 watts, more than my 18 cubic foot refrigerator.

I've been looking at a Samsung 55" 4K SMART Flat TV, UA55RU7100KXXT, flat because I want to hang it on the wall.  I wonder if I really need all of those gadgets and will it cause reduced reliability.  I can connect to the internet through the modem but what will I gain, I have the TV hooked to the computer GPU with an HDMI cable.  I would like to be able to record but it seems that you can Nolton record shows that you are watching and not be able to program recordings when you are not there, what good is that?  I want to record football games that are live when I am asleep or out. 

Any suggestions from users of smart TVs,  ?

Here I go again, a few months age I was asking suggestions about building a new computer and am still trying to sort out that mess that I started and now I am asking about a "smart" TV when I really don't use my "smart" phone for anything other than text messages and calls.  At lest I'm not building the TV and won't end up with a box of parts that don't work.

It's amazing how much TVs have dropped in price recently. I saw a 65in at Power Buy for 17,000 baht !! and 55 ins for 10-12,000. Definitely NOT worth repairing an old TV or putting up with problems. Get a smart TV with Youtube and Netflix apps installed.

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

not sure if the tv you highlighter can record , are you watching tv via a box, ie true, ais etc.

Yeah I have true.  The specs of the TV that I highlighted says that your can record to a usb or external drive but only the program that you are watching.  There is no ability to preprogram recording something in the future when you are not there. 

Not a fan of smart TV or Samsung (all have failed within 15 months - although have been able to repair).  Have had much better luck with discount brands and LG.  Smart functions are normally poor quality, need a masters degree to navigate and not used (if want to watch internet they use phone or computer).  That said if not much cost difference probably will not cause extra issues or early failure.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Whatever you  end up with if is a "smart" tv  check out the android  version installed. There are a hell of a lot of   "bargain" priced  smart tv's  on the market running ancient android 4.4.4 that cannot cope with updates to installed apps or  user downloaded  ones !

not many running android

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

running ancient android 4.4.4 that cannot cope with updates to installed apps or  user downloaded  ones !

That's why its better to  save a bit of money and buy a "dumb" tv  then add a stand alone Android box for the "smart bit".

when/if the "smart bit" gets out dated you can just buy a newer one.

Just now, johng said:

That's why its better to  save a bit of money and buy a "dumb" tv  then add a stand alone Android box for the "smart bit".

did similar with old but perfectly good netbook,attached that as the smart aspect.

Bought an LG 55um7300PTA with the 'smart" remote.  It's certainly smarter than me, it took me 20 minutes just to connect to the only input, HDMI from the true box.  I have now progressed to two inputs one from true and another from the computer that I just built with embedded Vega 11 graphics.  It's a learning curve on both ends as it's also my first windows 10

In addition to that the HDD died on my "old standby" and replaced that and repaired the MB for my Canon G2000 printer, replaced the surface mount e prom for 5B00  ink pad error but haven't put it back together yet.  Everything's happening/failing at the same time, oh what fun!

13 hours ago, johng said:

I couldn't agree more

Smart functionality increases every year, why would you want to be stuck with an old clunky platform. Buy a regular TV and add external Smart  functionality that you can easily and inexpensively replace when it becomes dated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 12:48 AM, sirineou said:

I couldn't agree more

Smart functionality increases every year, why would you want to be stuck with an old clunky platform. Buy a regular TV and add external Smart  functionality that you can easily and inexpensively replace when it becomes dated. 

The TV will have broken down before anything becomes dated !!

On 10/31/2019 at 12:48 AM, sirineou said:

I couldn't agree more

Not too many new TV's that don't have a Smart function now.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not too many new TV's that don't have a Smart function now.

Yes that's true. 

I have two, one is a smart TV the other one is not.  Both have a fire stick because fire sticks are IMO more functional, and when they become obsolete, you can simply throw them out and replace them with a new one, also have voice recognition and are compatible with my Alexa echo dot. 

Anyway, I like the TV that is not smart better, because I don't need a remote control to start it, and change the input to the port that the fire stick is connected to.

I can simply say "Alexa turn bedroom TV" then say "Alexa play CNN on bedroom TV"   The other smart TV I have to find the remote control, then press a button, some times get out on the couch. 

I know , we are getting so spoiled right LOL.

My Favorite Post signature in this forum, I cant remember the name of the member is "you think you have it rough? when I was your age I had to lalk 10 ft through <deleted> carpeting to change the channel on the TV'' LOL

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

My Favorite Post signature in this forum, I cant remember the name of the member is "you think you have it rough? when I was your age I had to lalk 10 ft through <deleted> carpeting to change the channel on the TV'' LOL

TVF is getting a litle ridiculous . in the above reply I wrote "Sha g Carpeting" without the space, and it was censored. 

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

TVF is getting a litle ridiculous . in the above reply I wrote "Sha g Carpeting" without the space, and it was censored. 

Most likely trying to use AI, the only thing is you have to be intelligent to use it! :stoner::sorry: Not really!

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yes that's true. 

I have two, one is a smart TV the other one is not.  Both have a fire stick because fire sticks are IMO more functional, and when they become obsolete, you can simply throw them out and replace them with a new one, also have voice recognition and are compatible with my Alexa echo dot. 

Anyway, I like the TV that is not smart better, because I don't need a remote control to start it, and change the input to the port that the fire stick is connected to.

I can simply say "Alexa turn bedroom TV" then say "Alexa play CNN on bedroom TV"   The other smart TV I have to find the remote control, then press a button, some times get out on the couch. 

I know , we are getting so spoiled right LOL.

I just  bought a LG smart TV with voice recognition but don't intend to use it.  When I start talking to my light bulbs and TV I'll know that it times to go out in the orchard and dig a six foot deep hole and lay down in it and yell COVER ME!

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I hate it when my TV is smarter than I am.

I wasn't taking about you , I was talking about the AI App that TV is using to delete sha g if you s[ell it right.

As far as the trons be smarter than me I've been in a battle with them for about two months.  I addition to the new TV which repalced a very old Dumb plasma TV, I decided to build a new computer which has been a real learning experience .  I used the Ryzen5 3400G with embedded graphics  and getting a defective MB out of the box along with Bios that, according to the compatibility list, should have worked which doesn't and communicating with the distributor in Bangkok and sending bits back and forth, I live in a remote area of Nakhon Sawan province.  Also mounting the 55" TV  to a swing arm attached to the wall was kinda a chore especially hanging the TV on  the arm by myself.

Archived