Old Design Scoopy

prb

Scoopy lovers, I found a 2010 scoopy for sale (25K km, 15K Bath).

As you can see in the pics of a similar model, the front design is quite unusual with turning lights fixed on the handlebar and not on the body.

The saddle looks a bit different as well not sure if it's smaller or just in a different position.

image.png.de2e3393535c9bd916605953c32addb4.png

I confirmed with the seller that the engine displacement is 108CC.

Are those 2010 model ok and the difference just cosmetics or should I avoid them?

Is the price right?

Thanks

I see there's a few of the original model 108cc Scoopy's on Kaidee at 10,000 to 15,000 THB.  They seem to last quite well, there was an old and newer model at the Park today and I was comparing both - I hadn't realised the old ones were so different.

But it's not a rare scooter, so why not go for a 125cc version?  The price of the 125's fell when the 150 came out, and the extra engine size is handy.  The later models also look to have wider wheels - a good idea on poor quality roads. 

20191020_174823.thumb.jpg.3eb95ac523e20d4e078edb3457f1a3e3.jpg 

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I see there's a few of the original model 108cc Scoopy's on Kaidee at 10,000 to 15,000 THB.  They seem to last quite well, there was an old and newer model at the Park today and I was comparing both - I hadn't realised the old ones were so different.

But it's not a rare scooter, so why not go for a 125cc version?  The price of the 125's fell when the 150 came out, and the extra engine size is handy.  The later models also look to have wider wheels - a good idea on poor quality roads. 

20191020_174823.thumb.jpg.3eb95ac523e20d4e078edb3457f1a3e3.jpg 

Yes, I've compared the two models in a parking today and the newer model looks higher while the one with the turning lights on the handlebar is more the size of the fino.

I will do a test drive of the old model tomorrow and see how it compares to the later models that i know already. 

Probably worse for countryside drive but if lighter it might be better suited for getting around the city in the traffic.

I was not aware of a 125 CC model, i've only bumped on 108, 110 and 115 CC in the adds i've found.

28 minutes ago, prb said:

Yes, I've compared the two models in a parking today and the newer model looks higher while the one with the turning lights on the handlebar is more the size of the fino.

I will do a test drive of the old model tomorrow and see how it compares to the later models that i know already. 

Probably worse for countryside drive but if lighter it might be better suited for getting around the city in the traffic.

I was not aware of a 125 CC model, i've only bumped on 108, 110 and 115 CC in the adds i've found.

Sorry - my mistake ..... I was thinking the Scoopy had the same engine as the PCX.

Yes, still 108cc.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Sorry - my mistake ..... I was thinking the Scoopy had the same engine as the PCX.

Yes, still 108cc.

.... but a later model looks to have the wider tyres and better lights - so perhaps still worth a look.

I had a late model Scoopy as a hire bike on an Island trip earlier this year, it was reasonably OK 2-up on some hilly roads.  The linked brakes were not for me, as I've been riding for years, but for anyone new to riding they are a good feature.

But the small wheel diameter of the Scoopy plus the narrower tyres of the older model may not be ideal.

To finish on the subject, i did the test drive with the seller this morning on the 2010 scoopy.

It was only possible to test around his condo, so not in traffic.

The bike was well looked after, no rust and new tyres.

As expected, it feels really small and light compare to the newer models.

As a consequence, the 108CC is enough to make it rides quite nervously and it is certainly a fun bike to ride in the city.

But i prefer the comfort and the feeling of the newer models, so i passed on it.

However If my budget has been  limited to  15K Baht sharp, i'd probably have taken it. 

The day before i tested a 18,5K baht 2013 model and omg, wheels and engine were full of rust...

1 hour ago, prb said:

To finish on the subject, i did the test drive with the seller this morning on the 2010 scoopy.

It was only possible to test around his condo, so not in traffic.

The bike was well looked after, no rust and new tyres.

As expected, it feels really small and light compare to the newer models.

As a consequence, the 108CC is enough to make it rides quite nervously and it is certainly a fun bike to ride in the city.

But i prefer the comfort and the feeling of the newer models, so i passed on it.

However If my budget has been  limited to  15K Baht sharp, i'd probably have taken it. 

The day before i tested a 18,5K baht 2013 model and omg, wheels and engine were full of rust...

Yes, you'll find a big range of conditions - but there's lots on the market as its a very common scooter, so you should be able to find a good one.

I think you're right to go for a newer model.

I recommend visiting a few local Honda dealers and ask what they've taken in part exchange ('turn') - they sometimes have some used ones around the back.

And look on-line at Kaidee and Thaiscooter, there's always a range of Scoopy's for sale.  Also consider a Click and choose on condition rather than model.  The Yamaha Fino is also worth a look - and they seem to be indestructible.

Clocking to reduce the Km is quite common, so go on condition and ignore the speedo.

28 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

And look on-line at Kaidee and Thaiscooter, there's always a range of Scoopy's for sale.  Also consider a Click and choose on condition rather than model.  The Yamaha Fino is also worth a look - and they seem to be indestructible.

I drove a rented click for a week.

I think it is superior to the Scoopy for power and storage, and it would have been my first choice if i havent noticed that the leg space is quite reduced compared to what you get on the Scoopy. 

You have to bend your legs more which gave me an uncomfortable feeling when driving the bike for more than 20 minutes at once.

Archived