Johnson will ask for Brexit delay after losing parliament vote -EU official

rooster59

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Agreed. It was a terrible deal. But I did support it, only to get the whole saga done and get on with our lives. Many of us have business interests in the UK, this remainer nonsense since the referendum has caused more harm than even a hard Brexit would have done. Now that the compromise failed so spectacularly, I hope we get the proper hard Brexit we voted for. Feeling quietly confident....

My constituency MP received and acknowledged feedback before yesterday's vote & went on to vote as directed ????

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope people realise an unsigned request letter means its about as meaningful as any other legal document without a signature.. ie nothing. The UK gov has in fact not requested anything at all.  

Nothing has changed, 31st Oct is still the leaving date. 

ATM no deal got a lot closer thanks to Letwins stupid amendment.  :w00t:

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hopefully they don't block an election as well. The swamp is long overdue a good draining.

I expect they will. Labour know they are, with their present leadership, unelectable, and sorting that out will take a couple of years. The Tory rebels know that their only (faint) hope of surviving is to somehow force Johnson et Al from the leadership of their party and that we LL take a couple of years; and the Squeaker, well, having positioned himself as the constitutional reformer who enabled the Parliamentary antics to frustrate Brexit, he will hardly wish to see the electorate stick two fingers up to his legacy so soon! We're in for a two year wait!

12 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Hope people realise an unsigned request letter means its about as meaningful as any other legal document without a signature.. ie nothing. The UK gov has in fact not requested anything at all.  

Donald Tusk has accepted the letter and is putting it to the leaders of the 27 countries of the EU. Expect the exit date for the UK to be reset to 31st January any day now.

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Actually the Peoples representatives in the HoC won an important victory over the PM’s attempt to govern by means of executive order.

It was a great victory for Parliamentary Democracy.

I not see a great victory for Parliamentary Democracy, or maybe I am wrong with English Democracy understand.

Normally on the democratic western country when the government not have the majority call for new election, is automatically, but not now England with Boris, What can go wrong ?

Certainly not for the economic good of the country these political games, democracy and economy are inter-compatible

14 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Donald Tusk has accepted the  is putting it to the leaders of the 27 countries of the EU. Expect the exit date for the UK to be reset to 31st January any day now.

Seeing as the UK gov is the only one who they can deal with and it hasn't requested anything.  Very unlikely, You should read more. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "I will not negotiate a delay with the EU and neither does the law compel me to do so."

He added: "I continue in the very strong belief that the best thing for the UK, and for the whole of Europe is for us to leave with this new deal on 31 October, and to anticipate the questions that are coming from the benches opposite, I will not negotiate a delay with the EU."

A Number 10 source said: "Parliament has voted to delay Brexit yet again.

"The prime minister will not ask for an extension - he will tell EU leaders there should be no delays, they should reject Parliament's letter asking for a delay, 

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Thanks to the better reporting from the Daily Mail we learn the above is a half truth at best. Johnson actually sent 3 letters. The 1st as alluded to above went unsigned and was only sent to placate the Benn act and its traitorous supporters. The other letters clarified the UK governments real position. They do not want any further dithers and delays and will crash out of the EU with no deal on the 31st October if the Johnson deal is not signed and implemented.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the anti democratic remainers ended up forcing the proper Brexit we voted on all those years ago. Amusing times indeed!

But on Monday ….. the judge shall give his postponed verdict on his case …..about it 

2019-10-20_112432.png

2019-10-20_112451.png

8 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Seeing as the UK gov is the only one who they can deal with and it hasn't requested anything.  Very unlikely, You should read more. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "I will not negotiate a delay with the EU and neither does the law compel me to do so."

He added: "I continue in the very strong belief that the best thing for the UK, and for the whole of Europe is for us to leave with this new deal on 31 October, and to anticipate the questions that are coming from the benches opposite, I will not negotiate a delay with the EU."

A Number 10 source said: "Parliament has voted to delay Brexit yet again.

"The prime minister will not ask for an extension - he will tell EU leaders there should be no delays, they should reject Parliament's letter asking for a delay, 

Johnson has sent a letter as per the Benn Act. The wording is detailed in the act. Extension to 31st january has been requested and Tusk is consulting with EU 27 as we speak.

38 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Looks like the anti Democrats have managed to drag this out for another 3 months. They must be so proud of themselves ????.

Hopefully they don't block an election as well. The swamp is long overdue a good draining.

I see you’ve dragged some rightwing slogans from across ‘the pond’.  

Illiberalism is not exactly working out there either is it.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

Johnson has sent a letter as per the Benn Act. The wording is detailed in the act. Extension to 31st january has been requested and Tusk is consulting with EU 27 as we speak.

Dont be ridiculous, Europe is asleep and its Sunday. Pretend what you wish, but details matter. 

2 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Dont be ridiculous, Europe is asleep and its Sunday. Pretend what you wish, but details matter. 

Talking of sleep....did you see Dianne Abbott taking 40 winks on the opposition front bench....laughable, cretins the lot of them

3 minutes ago, englishoak said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-extension-letter-unsigned-eu-photocopy-message-a9163356.html

"Mr Tusk appeared to indicate that he would act swiftly, announcing on Twitter: "The extension request has just arrived. I will now start consulting EU leaders on how to react."

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Monday his case get verdict ,as postponed before because he promised , also side escape actions where considered in it....

(Strange my former detailed post about that was …..vanished... disappeared ….) on another tread......????,wink wink wink )

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

It is doubtful that the EU will collude in the establishment of the Dictatorship of Boris Johnson.

It knows that if it acts upon his personal whim (for that is what the unsigned letter and the "what I really want" letter represent) rather than upon the supreme, legitimate, constitutional, will of the British Parliament, that it will be doing that.

The UK is ruled by "committee" (Parliament), not by a "President" who may issue decrees and act independently of that committee. The EU knows that.

It seems that, by court authority, the Speaker may sign a letter (expressing the will of Parliament and asking for a delay) that would by-pass the would be "President" and clear the matter up for the EU:

SNP justice and home affairs spokesperson Joanna Cherry tweeted:

"Just as well we are due back in court on Monday & Mr Speaker has just confirmed to me that he'll sign Extension letter if court so requires."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50095368

It would clear it up for them, but not for the UK.

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

he's weak and dishonest and was trying to back stab the process (law) by sending an unsigned letter

His maneuvering when he sabotaged may's deal, shows back stabbing is one of his few areas of expertise... 

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

he's weak and dishonest and was trying to back stab the process (law) by sending an unsigned letter

And he does not like to  go lie in that ditch , neither did he go lie-in front of bulldozers to avoid extra run way for airfield …. words and fake promises ….signed ...Boris J.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Actually the Peoples representatives in the HoC won an important victory over the PM’s attempt to govern by means of executive order.

It was a great victory for Parliamentary Democracy.

And put forward by one of the most blatant, racist fascists in that building.....

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

And he does not like to  go lie in that ditch , neither did he go lie-in front of bulldozers to avoid extra run way for airfield …. words and fake promises ….signed ...Boris J.

Let just say his signature is not worth the paper it is written on.

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Time to get rid of Cummings. he's just making Johnson look like a pathetic child.

and that makes TWO (2) pathetic ones (BJ + Cummings) and they govern the UK... by any way/shape/form are they related to the slow one running the US.... birds of the feather flick together

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Let just say his signature is not worth the paper it is written on.

As E.U. one I found his deal the best (for us E.U. to get at last....) but not his kind of "fair play ….." do they teach those " special fair play rules" in Eaton ..??

Archived