BANGKOK
corkman

What do you do at the weekend?

Hi All,

I am a functional alcoholic. It's not hard for me to "not start" drinking, but once I start then one is too many and 1000 are not enough.

My biggest challenge is that I get bored at the weekend, and miss social interaction. So I end up drinking with friends and every session turns into an all night bender through to the following morning.

What so you do at the weekend to distract yourself?

I'm not into sports, so joining a football team isn't going to cut it (and would probably just lead to beers after the game, haha).

I live in the Bangkok.

I don't own a car, but can easily hire one.

Thanks.

Normally I do the same on weekends as in the week these days= <deleted> all and bored apart from the internet and arguing with the mrs. I need to get out of this country for longer than 4 weeks a year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Without knowing your financial restraints it's hard to comment. If you have a daily allowance of 500 baht it's a bit different to 5,000 baht. Personally my week days are mostly the same as the weekends - watch tv series, play with daughter, watch NCAA football and go out on the pink Big C pushbike with the family on the back. 

Edited by RichardColeman

Every nights a Saturday night and every day is a Sunday here in Thai Lie Land

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Without knowing your financial restraints it's hard to comment. If you have a daily allowance of 500 baht it's a bit different to 5,000 baht. Personally my week days are mostly the same as the weekends - watch tv series, play with daughter, watch NCAA football and go out on the pink Big C pushbike with the family on the back. 

Hi Richard.

I have a good salary. On a night out, I typically run up a bill in the region of 15,000 - 20,000 (for two people). Obviously, that's a ridiculous amount to spend. Too much in fact. It compromises my spending in other areas. 

I would like to spend in the region of 20k a month in entertainment, rather than 20k a week.

Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I dont 'distract ' myself at weekends.  Weekends for me are just the days I restrict my driving, due to the more than normal number of idiots on the roads  and avoid crowds in the shops, apart from that, they are much like every other day. I stopped drinking alcohol a while back, so that isn't an influence on me.  For me a day is usually gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out. My days are full so the temptation to drink, (not that I have it) would be minimal.  

Thanks for the reply.

"gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out." 

Sounds like a "list" that aligns well with my interests.

Golf is something I've thought about taking up, but I am afraid it will just lead to another excuse to drink at the 19th hole..... any golfing stories I hear usually involves drinking stories too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, corkman said:

Thanks for the reply.

"gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out." 

Sounds like a "list" that aligns well with my interests.

Golf is something I've thought about taking up, but I am afraid it will just lead to another excuse to drink at the 19th hole..... any golfing stories I hear usually involves drinking stories too!

Golf I find to be the moist frustrating game in the world. Here its often too hot to play, so I wait for cloudy days (like today) and then get a couple of mates together to play. I'm still rubbish at it, even after years of trying.  True that it's enough to turn a man to drink. 

I’m guessing you work during the week, and that forces some discipline during the week.

I’d recommend cycling, but the best you could hope for would be starting later in the afternoon.

If you want to Not Drink, I’d recommend Alcoholics Anonymous; if you want to drink sensibly, I’d recommend cycling, and accepting it won’t work on Sundays

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Must be one of the gayest things I've ever read.

'Hi Rupert, Starbucks at 10.30 ya'

If you think that, you must have very different proclivities to me old Son. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you think that, you must have very different proclivities to me old Son. 

What do you talk to your coffee chums about? Lewis on pole and Brexit?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

What do you talk to your coffee chums about? Lewis on pole and Brexit?

I don't think that is any of your business.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1