Bangkok acknowledges alcohol-free restaurants during Buddhist Lent

rooster59

Tanakorn Sangiam

854160839973e8c87cf7e6251fc1f2ab.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok City Hall has delivered certificates to restaurants where the sale of alcohol was strictly prohibited during the three month period of Buddhist Lent.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pol Lt Gen Sophon Phisutthiwong, delivered certificates to restaurant owners and operators who complied with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s (BMA) campaign to cease alcohol sales during Buddhist lent. From 17th July to 13th October, 36 participating restaurants in 25 districts sold no alcohol. The number of restaurants this year increased from the previous year, when only 26 restaurants in 23 districts participated.

The deputy Bangkok governor said the campaign has been successful thanks to the cooperation of many sectors, especially the private sector and members of the general public who helped promote the campaign. According to the BMA’s data, its alcohol-free Buddhist Lent campaign held with the input of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation in 2018 had successfully encouraged 6.8 million people to stay sober. The deputy Bangkok governor hopes the campaign next year will see more restaurants participating.

City Hall has also asked these restaurants to consider not selling alcohol, even outside periods of religious observation.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-10-20

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Now let’s issue certificates for corruption-free government departments during Buddhist lent. Let’s see how successful that is. Let’s see how easy it is to do something meaningful. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Bangkok City Hall has delivered certificates to restaurants where the sale of alcohol was strictly prohibited during the three month period of Buddhist Lent.

I was under the impression that the observance of Buddhist Lent was more a practice for monks rather than the general public. But I could be wrong on that.

Apart from just restaurants perhaps all City Halls throughout Thailand could issue certificates to Buddhist temples which refrain from alcohol and molestation of young trainees during the Lent period.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-abbot-accused-of-sexually-abusing-teen-novice

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The deputy Bangkok governor said the campaign has been successful thanks to the cooperation of many sectors, especially the private sector and members of the general public who helped promote the campaign.

Ah, the 'Buy early for Buddhist Lent' campaign !

8 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

what upsets me the most in life is some religions or sects want to impose on me what I should wear,

what should drink, eat, and other things which would be censured if mentioned here. 

But sometimes it comes with perks like multiple wives. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, marko kok prong said:

Funny i had to attend some bloody think,at a local temple during this period i wandered off from the droning to have a smoke ,what did i find,4 young monks in a bamboo grove drinking lao kow and smoking,they threw a cloth over it,and wiaded me ,i smiled,waide back,only young fella's.

Monks will never wai you. They don't even wai the King.

I wonder if the places that banned alcohol, by chance, coincide with places that are not used by tourists for their meals? Certainly when word gets out, I would expect the Western tourists will change their plans.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:30 AM, rkidlad said:

Now let’s issue certificates for corruption-free government departments during Buddhist lent. Let’s see how successful that is. Let’s see how easy it is to do something meaningful. 

They have already been issued,they issue them every year I'll leave it to you to guess how many have been issued to date!OK I'll give you a hint,it's less than one! 

Archived