Facebook Thailand launches fake news checker

rooster59

Facebook Thailand launches fake news checker

Tanakorn Sangiam

b4cc8ef3fa0c4caf765c98b90d4770a0.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - To curb the proliferation of fake news on social media, causing misunderstandings among the general public, Facebook Thailand has initiated action.

Facebook Thailand has launched a fake news checker function, to reduce the spread of fake news and help improve the quality of online content. The check function was developed by Facebook and AFP news agency, and certified by the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN), which will verify the content, images, and videos posted on Facebook.

Posts which are found to be fake news, or to have misleading titles, will have their visibility adjusted downwards. Users will receive a warning when trying to share flagged posts. Pages found to be sharing fake news will also have their visibility reduced, and will not be allowed to use revenue functions, and may face termination.

The function uses AI technology, along with AFP reporters in 10 countries of the region. The function will soon be able to screen contents in Thai.

A lecturer at Chualongkorn University’s Faculty of Communication Arts, Ms Pijitra Suppasawatgul, said today the spread of misinformation and fake news online is growing, and will have more severe effects when related to important situation or events. The use of the checker tool by Facebook can only partially mitigate the problem, while the overall issue requires the cooperation of the general public, the government, and other online social media platforms.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-10-20

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

The first bit of fake news is that this is a misinformation checker. When it is actually a Big Brother media surveillance system, designed to ensure the proles don't wander off the narrative. 

Definitely: It's really a case of 'you only post what we want you post'.

facebook...let US tell YOU what you should be able to read ...

a few months ago there was a big event, known all over the world, except thailand

and banned by TV to start with ... and off course all THAI newspapers, TV stations

no need to comment on something that never happend for ignorant thai people, now spreading the culture to the rest of the world

My wife is a well educated teacher, intelligent by Thai standards but very Thailand orientated. Considering she had never heard of 9/11, Chernobyl or any other large outside Thailand event we take for granted - I think maybe Thailand should concentrate on the real news first before worrying about fake news

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Fake news is also slander so everyone on every forum, even this one needs to watch out now as it looks to be seriously getting dangerous here.

But I think they need to first start with communists and cyber war story.

Defamation can be that even if what you post is true and not fake at all, always been like that.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

The first bit of fake news is that this is a misinformation checker. When it is actually a Big Brother media surveillance system, designed to ensure the proles don't wander off the narrative. 

Exactly. There have been quite a few journalists that have reported about Facebook's tendency to promote conservative narratives along with pro-Israel narratives all the while limiting 'progressive views' along with anti-Israel views/opinions. 

I stopped using Facebook for almost a decade now. As Julian Assange once said 'Facebook is the most appalling spy machine every invented.' And what I find interesting is how popular it is in Asia. Wow, talk about a perfect place for big tech companies. Shop and comment till you drop!

Oh and about the often cliche view of 'What do you have to hide?' The overall issue is wider than that.

51 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Defamation can be that even if what you post is true and not fake at all, always been like that.

That is the problem and where it becomes very very dangerous now as it looks like the gossip police are intently on the gonna catch you move now.. Call me an egghead and you may be seeing me in court.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm glad that I'm nearly 50yrs old.. Imagine still being in your teens with a whole lifetime of this to look forward to !!! 

We will all be the stars of a real life, twisted sci-fi movie soon ????

Sad thing is many young people are on board with it. 

1 hour ago, Solinvictus said:

Exactly. There have been quite a few journalists that have reported about Facebook's tendency to promote conservative narratives along with pro-Israel narratives all the while limiting 'progressive views' along with anti-Israel views/opinions. 

I stopped using Facebook for almost a decade now. As Julian Assange once said 'Facebook is the most appalling spy machine every invented.' And what I find interesting is how popular it is in Asia. Wow, talk about a perfect place for big tech companies. Shop and comment till you drop!

Oh and about the often cliche view of 'What do you have to hide?' The overall issue is wider than that.

I think you should read some other journalists or go on FB yourself. You will find it is conservatives that are being censored. In fact you can search and find FB employees saying that themselves.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Facebook Thailand has launched a fake news checker function,

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The function will soon be able to screen contents in Thai.

So Facebook Thailand "launched" this, NNT tells us. But for now, it doesn't actually do anything with Thai language content....

Seems like the first use of their fake news checker ought to be in downgrading this NNT announcement.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife is a well educated teacher, intelligent by Thai standards but very Thailand orientated. Considering she had never heard of 9/11, Chernobyl or any other large outside Thailand event we take for granted - I think maybe Thailand should concentrate on the real news first before worrying about fake news

Mark Zuckerberg and all the other zsars of social media are the 

lapdogs of the US security state propaganda machine. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.globalresearch.ca/social-media-is-a-tool-of-the-cia-facebook-google-and-other-social-media-used-to-spy-on-people/5606170/amp

4 hours ago, chokrai said:

Looks like the obligatory farang women is on the censorship board.

The token whitey necessary to make your organization look credible, complete with femanco-leftist attire. I bet she is vegan as well, exclusively speaks in PC vernacular... and of course looooves Thailand too mutt, having traveled the entire kingdom on a shoestring budget and nothing on her feet but Birkenstocks.

But maybe I'm wrong. 

Absolutely disgusting. And only a few days ago that robot android, Zuckerberg (if he is fully human - then I am a banana! See the infamous video where he lets slip the words, 'I used to be human too'!), was pretending to champion freedom of speech.

'Fake news' in Thailand means any truth that the junta powers want to squash and hide.

Appalling. And as usual, note that it is that bastion of liberty and freedom of political speech, Chulalongkorn, that goes along with it. Enough said.

4 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Really? I thought it was the other way around, but if true would balance up the massive anti conservative and pro Palestinian bias in the rest of the media from so called liberals.

OK - We know CNN/MSNBC are anti-Trump, Fox News used to be pro-Trump and seems to be backing off from that absolute stance. ALL of them are still biased. Where CAN one go for as unbiased a source of information as possible?

5 hours ago, simtemple said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.globalresearch.ca/social-media-is-a-tool-of-the-cia-facebook-google-and-other-social-media-used-to-spy-on-people/5606170/amp

amazing but credible in a creepy way

6 hours ago, simtemple said:

I guess i know why they didn't let this guy into a Bangkok club a few years ago. He's fake. 

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

From what I’ve seen it only flags blatantly false articles, lies, fabrications and fake Photoshop jobs. 

I like having some fact-checking done to let me know idle a story is dubious so I can check it out myself if I care about it. 

I’ve yet to see a false positive and everything flagged as a lie seemed to be a lie. 

You can always cancel your FB account if you don’t like seeing both sides of the story. 

Archived