Moving a visa to a new passport?

Hi.

We live here on a student visa, and my passport pages are finishing, and before we leave i am making a new passport in Bangkok.

My country's embassy says they will give me a letter and i take it to Thai embassy with both passports to move the ED visa to new one.

Question : does anyone know how long such process takes in BK?  what do you need ? what could go wrong ?

Our schedule is tight, if anyone did this, will be happy to hear more.

Thanks.

Edited by Rob4

A visa can never be moved - what can be moved is notation of original visa/permitted to stay stamp and extensions of stay stamps.  You do that at Chiang Watanna office (not Embassy) and will need to have copies of old passport/applicable pages and new passport data page as well as filling out a simple form and that Embassy paper of new passport asking immigration to transfer stamp.  It does not take long but will probably have to navigate ED extension of stay queue to see officer.   

What do you exactly you  have? Are you on a 90 day entry from a non-ed visa or a extension of stay based upon attend a school?

Visas are not transferred. Immigration will only transfers stamps they have issued. It only takes a couple of hours to get the stamps transferred.

Do you plan on returning after you leave the country?

Unless you are living in Bangkok that is not the only immigration office you can go to.

We are attending a language school, and i am making a new passport, not sure what do i have to transfer

so maybe i said it wrong, basically i would like to go out with a new passport so must have the right stamps from the old.

"have to navigate ED extension of stay queue to see officer. " - what do you mean?

Does it takes 4 hours because of the queue? is it done in the same day? do they ask hard questions? (language or so)

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

We are attending a language school, and i am making a new passport, not sure what do i have to transfer

so maybe i said it wrong, basically i would like to go out with a new passport so must have the right stamps from the old.

The will do stamp with info about the visa you used to enter the country. Then they will transfer your entry stamp and extension of stay stamp ot the new passport

Unless you plan or returning to the country with a re-entry permit you do not need to have the stamps transferred.

You can use both passports on departure from the country and the will stamp you out of the country in the new one.

15 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

have to navigate ED extension of stay queue to see officer. " - what do you mean?

Does it takes 4 hours because of the queue? is it done in the same day? do they ask hard questions?

I don't use Bangkok immigration but I was thing they have a separate desk for stamp transfers.

Not sure how long it will take but it will be done while you wait without any questions asked.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will do stamp with info about the visa you used to enter the country. Then they will transfer your entry stamp and extension of stay stamp ot the new passport

Unless you plan or returning to the country with a re-entry permit you do not need to have the stamps transferred.

You can use both passports on departure from the country and the will stamp you out of the country in the new one.

I don't use Bangkok immigration but I was thing they have a separate desk for stamp transfers.

Not sure how long it will take but it will be done while you wait without any questions asked.

Last time I did at same time as extension of stay and same desk and previous time at Chiang Watanna indeed had to go to the normal L service extension of stay desk to transfer stamp.  Believe only dedicated desk is for correction of entry stamps.  But in any event believe will be same day - but not aware of how much of a queue there is at ED.

Did this a few months ago at CW immigration office in Bangkok.

You need old and new passports plus the letter from your embassy saying they have issued a new passport. Then there is a transfer form that needs to be filled out and is obtained when you arrive at the immigration office when you get your queue number so take a pen.  You may also need a photo of yourself, I dont remember and photocopies of the details page of the new and old passports and copies of stamps and visa in old passport.

It took several hours as I had to wait in the queue with everyone else, there didnt seem to be any special transfer desk in my case of transferring non imm O for retirement extension stamps etc and rentry permit.

I also needed to go to the reentry desk to get reentry stamp transfer, another long wait and if I remember correctly I also provided a photo and photocopies of passports as before plus a photocopy of the new stamps in the new passport. I did all this just in case, there will be a queue and wait time anyway so you can do the copying after you get your queue number.

Basically it took all day but there isnt much that can go wrong and no charges.

• Like 1

"Unless you plan or returning to the country with a re-entry permit you do not need to have the stamps transferred." 

Not sure i understand, so if i don't do re-entry with this visa, i don't need to transfer at all? go to airport with 2 passports?

Thanks all !

24 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Not sure i understand, so if i don't do re-entry with this visa, i don't need to transfer at all? go to airport with 2 passports?

Thanks all !

It seems you have an extension of stay issued by immigration not a visa.

If you do not want your extension to remain valid by getting a re-entry permit you can just leave the country by showing both passports when departing the country.

Thanks, what i have is an ED visa(printed on a full page), extended for the second time after 6 months(small stamp), so i left 3 more months and I will be leaving within a month.

Are you sure i can leave with an empty passport ?? (showing the old one with the last extension)?

Why the embassy offer to provide me with that letter?

43 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Are you sure i can leave with an empty passport ?? (showing the old one with the last extension)?

Why the embassy offer to provide me with that letter?

No problem to leave by showing both passport on departure from the country.

They hand out that letter since they assume everybody needs one and needs to transfer their stamps.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem to leave by showing both passport on departure from the country.

They hand out that letter since they assume everybody needs one and needs to transfer their stamps.

Oh wow, so i don't have to move the visa.

My only problem is that we have to fly to China ???? 

(to make a China visa in Bangkok i need to prove that i have a visa to Thailand in the NEW passport)

Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

My only problem is that we have to fly to China ???? 

(to make a China visa in Bangkok i need to prove that i have a visa to Thailand in the NEW passport)

Show them the old passport that has your extension of stay stamps in it. They should accept that as proof you are staying here.

• 6 months later...

I have a question. I’m in Thailand with ED Visa, studying in a language school and immigration have issued me extension of stay. If I get re-entry permit before leaving Thailand, go home for couple of weeks to get a new passport, are they letting me back in with extension and re-entry permit stamp in my old passport? Or is it better if I order my new passport to Thailand, get stamps transferred and get a re-entry permit in my new passport before leaving? Thanks

11 minutes ago, Trek800 said:

I have a question. I’m in Thailand with ED Visa, studying in a language school and immigration have issued me extension of stay. If I get re-entry permit before leaving Thailand, go home for couple of weeks to get a new passport, are they letting me back in with extension and re-entry permit stamp in my old passport? Or is it better if I order my new passport to Thailand, get stamps transferred and get a re-entry permit in my new passport before leaving? Thanks

You can use the re-entry permit in the old passport to enter the country. Show both passports and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Hi Ubon Joe. Sorry a bit slow on this. I have a multi entry  non O based on marriage from HCMC. The last entry is start November ,2020. My passport pages are full. When borders open can I just use 2 passports (old one visa, new one blank) or do I need to get the stamp transferred?

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can use the re-entry permit in the old passport to enter the country. Show both passports and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply Ubonjoe.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is this true even if the old passport has been invalidated when issuing the new passport?