Just how expensive is Thai Airways

Oxx

Apparently, if I want to fly to Da Nang in Vietnam, Bangkok Airways (a full service airline, not budget) charges $99.  Thai Airways charges $1,940 - almost 20 times as much.  And as a kicker, the flight is actually operated by ... Bangkok Airways.  Ludicrous.  No wonder Thai is in financial difficulties.

(And this isn't a one off mistake.  It's been like this for over a fortnight.)

Screenshot from 2019-10-20 11-22-17.png

As per Thai Airways website it is not possible to buy tickets on this route and in any case code share tickets with any airlines are almost certainly going to be more expensive than tickets bought from an airline that operates on the route.

As such I don't think this comparison has any meaning.

People use Thai Airways for reasons as others and the same people use other airlines. Thai Airways baggage allowance is reasonable and only at one airport have I seen staff checking the weight. If Thai Airways checked carry on baggage on Bangkok Delhi route for example and charged for excess baggage then income on the route would be significantly increased. 

I fly back to the UK every 9 months for a few days, I have not used Thai airways for atleast 8 years. EVA is always cheaper , and recently BA have been cheaper than Thai too, so i have tended to hover between the 2. If Thai were the cheapest, I'd use them, simple as that. BUT, I think they are pricing themselves currently out of my business and just about everybody elses

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

Bangkok Airways (a full service airline, not budget) charges $99.  Thai Airways charges $1,940 - almost 20 times as much.  And as a kicker, the flight is actually operated by ... Bangkok Airways.  Ludicrous.  No wonder Thai is in financial difficulties.

I don't share your conclusion.

There is no Thai Airways flight but only the one operated by Bangkok Air shown in the search.

Booking identical flight trough a competing airline (not in an alliance as far as I know?) brings ridiculous results.

Not really surprising, happens on other routes and not a benchmark for Thai Airways flights.

Compare separate flights on identical routes to get meaningful results.

Thai Airways had some competitive prices on long-haul routes.

(haven't checked now)

The real competitors on the route are Vietnam Airlines and Thai Vietjet (which I would avoid both if possible).

From Don Mueang it's AirAsia.

For your date:

AirAsia starting at 54 USD.

VietJet 88 USD.

Vietnam Airline 105 USD.

Archived