How is Life in Mae Hong Son ?

Bakwan

Hello Community

I am new to this Forum, but "not new" in Thailand

Is anybody living in Mae Hong Son and can give some Informations

about Life there now?

More than 20 Years ago, I have made a Motorbiketour Chiang Mai - Pai - Mae Hong Son 

and back to CM via Doi Inthanon. It was absolutely stunning and fascinating....

Cheers

Not living there, but been there a few times.

Yes, nice mountains and nature (as most places in the north). Downside is clearly the burning season and the bad air quality several months of the year, but this applies to everywhere in the north.

Mae Hong Son itself is a small town, not much there. For me this would be too boring.

I chose Chiang Mai, because it offers way more options (eating, shopping etc.) for my daily life, and if i want to visit the nature in for example Mae Hong Son this makes for a nice weekend trip.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not living there, but been there a few times.

Yes, nice mountains and nature (as most places in the north). Downside is clearly the burning season and the bad air quality several months of the year, but this applies to everywhere in the north.

Mae Hong Son itself is a small town, not much there. For me this would be too boring.

I chose Chiang Mai, because it offers way more options (eating, shopping etc.) for my daily life, and if i want to visit the nature in for example Mae Hong Son this makes for a nice weekend trip.

What's the cheapest way to go to Mae Hong Son from Chiang Mai?

I mean which transport company.

Pretty - but way out in the boonies.....

Major shopping excursions would be needed = nothing substantial or convenient.... English would be a problem - some vendors speak English, but few others.....We have weekended it there & it kind that wild wild west feeling about it as people came in to town to party.....Some of it was loud & a little rowdy-ish with guys hanging out & drinking by their vehicles....I'd worry about quality medical care there....

Pai? is the nearest "major" city & that isn't much.....Drivers "own" the roads and are prone to push it and use both sides - probably due to familiarity, light use, and a roll of the dice.....I'm not too sure the locals would take a shine to a farang; especially if he's diving into the available female pool.....A few different hill tribes up that way - each with their own sub culture & rules.....Integrating into that could be fun - or a mine field....The people there are not as sophisticated as a more major area.....But they're quick to pounce if they smell money....

Just a few random thoughts....

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

What's the cheapest way to go to Mae Hong Son from Chiang Mai?

I mean which transport company.

Go to the bus station and take an air conditioned van. Pretty cheap and the scenery to MHS is breathtaking. Don't forget to visit Pai, which is only a few km away.

Vans leave every 1.5 or 2 hours. 

IMO too many tourists, but in the past it was a must see destination located in the Pai valley. 

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Pretty - but way out in the boonies.....

Major shopping excursions would be needed = nothing substantial or convenient.... English would be a problem - some vendors speak English, but few others.....We have weekended it there & it kind that wild wild west feeling about it as people came in to town to party.....Some of it was loud & a little rowdy-ish with guys hanging out & drinking by their vehicles....I'd worry about quality medical care there....

Pai? is the nearest "major" city & that isn't much.....Drivers "own" the roads and are prone to push it and use both sides - probably due to familiarity, light use, and a roll of the dice.....I'm not too sure the locals would take a shine to a farang; especially if he's diving into the available female pool.....A few different hill tribes up that way - each with their own sub culture & rules.....Integrating into that could be fun - or a mine field....The people there are not as sophisticated as a more major area.....But they're quick to pounce if they smell money....

Just a few random thoughts....

Your information is a bit vague for somebody who's spent a weekend or two there. Places develop and some people will like the scenery and the quietness of MHS.

It's perfect for people who love trekking, a single guy could find a hill tribe wife and be happy.

Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai isn't far away, nor is the border to Myanmar for a short trip.

Not all people like the hully gully Pattaya life with Go-go bars and plenty of other foreigners.

OP< you won't see too many obnoxious foreigners there. You can always go somewhere else, best is to see it with your own eyes. 

33 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Go to the bus station and take an air conditioned van. Pretty cheap and the scenery to MHS is breathtaking. Don't forget to visit Pai, which is only a few km away.

Vans leave every 1.5 or 2 hours. 

IMO too many tourists, but in the past it was a must see destination located in the Pai valley. 

There are many bus companies at Arcade, which one do you recommend?

I live in Mae Hong Son some of the time, and the rest in Chiang Mai. In Mae Hong Son (city) I stay with Thai friends and I know a lot of their neighbours and relations, so an agreeable life. But not sure how easily a new farang would fit in. Depends on the farang, I suppose. Not many farang residents. Advantages: peace and quiet - no traffic jams to speak of. Nice scenery - lots of mountains. Maybe a bit cooler than Chiang Mai. Cheaper for food. Some interesting places in the province: Bang Mapha - caves; Khun Yuam; buatong flower fields in season; Ban Ruk Thai - Chinese village on Burmese border, en route there's a royal palace and a big waterfall; Pai - very popular with tourists. Quite a lot of mountain people villages. Quite a lot of refugees from Burma including long-necked ladies. Disadvantages: not a lot of night life; no exotic restaurants; limited medical facilities - there is a hospital but locals often opt to go to Chiang Mai for treatment. No international school.

There are flights every day to Chiang Mai (1500-2000 baht/30 minutes) (and maybe some to Bangkok - not sure). Buses to Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Frequent minibus services (250 baht/6 hours to Chiang Mai via Pai; via Mae Sariang also available).

My wife is from Mae Hong song i have spent sometime there but I live in Chiang Mai. Only one real bar the Cross Roads on the 108 at the Traffic light before the post office. Good place to have a drink. When my wife goes home to visit 90 percent of the time I beg off. There are a couple of good restaruants in town for a good meal. If you like being isolated and in the country great place for you. I like it for 3 days then I am gone

I don't live in Mae Hong Son, but a bit more to the north. Perhaps 60 kilometers to the North-East of Mea Hong Son province.

In my area the burning season is horrible … or at least was last year. But it might still be better than Chiang May city (not sure). At least less traffic and such. Mea Hong Son might be a bit better. From what I read air quality around Pai is among the best in Thailand.

Apart from the burning season, it's ok-ish for me. I'm staying in the village because my girlfriend likes to stay close to her mother. Not many people to talk to as I don't speak fluent Thai, but I'm an introvert so that's ok with me. Not many foreigners here … probably in my village none at all, but occasionally I see one on the market in the nearby "city" (Chaiprakan) in the weekend. A few more foreigners must live in Fang, since I often see a few walking around the Tesco Lotus shopping center there. On the Sundays it can be nice and quiet in the village, I love that.

From my perspective:

- For now good enough, at least a very cheap cost of living which will allow me to semi-retire early (aiming for 45 years old).

- For our 2.5 year old daughter good enough (for now). We'll send her to a public school soon. But I would want better education for her when she's a bit older. At least she'll learn the basics of Thai properly at school.

- In the future I would love to move to the city again near the sea, perhaps Pattaya, perhaps Hua Hin (never been there before). Still would like to have a nice sea-view condo at some point with a large swimming pool. Also just more stuff to do, like go to the cinema, more choice in restaurants, more and better western food choices etc...

On 10/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, JRinPDX said:

Yep.  A twisty ride.

My GF never gets car sick. But she sure did on the way to Pai. I had to hold her back from slapping the driver for going so fast around the curves!

Now we only fly! But haven't been in awhile.

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Id be up for taking my mbike to go check it out BUT the windy roads..are they in decent shape?  AND would i be ducking these silver bullet vans crossings the lanes the whole way.........already got clipped once..broken toes

The roads are decent for the most part....A lot of twists & turns (900+) and the locals, along with many that know the road, drive using both sides of the road to straighten the curves + pass with imunity with a basic disregard for clearances & traffic.....

It's the type of road you could easily over drive.....Roadside stops/fuel availability = not too much.....It's out in the Podunks with scattered off road villages with not much around in the way of services/hospitals/fuel/etc.....

When away from the mains, my wife always wanted to stay within a sight line to our car....Something had heightened her awareness.....

More than a few walking around with machetes in their belt but not menacing (like I've seen in other countries).....Tend to see that in the hills.....

Archived