A Strange Thing Happened.

NoshowJones

This morning when I booted my desktop computer up, they asked for a password. I do not have a password as I am the only person who ever

uses it as it is in my own locked room, so I was asked to create a password.

After I did that, they said I needed a code, so I picked a four digit number, then they said it would be sent to my email address, But I could not get logged

in without that code, so I went to my laptop and then I got my code number and got logged on to my desktop.

But the thing is, I never asked for this in the first place. What if I never had another computer or smartphone, being the only Farang in my town I would have had a problem.

Are you using Win10?  I had to make a Microsoft password years ago but had Windows set up to not ask - but for last few months it does about once or twice a week and have to use that Microsoft password.  At one time was asked to make a pin to log on easier but refused and not asked again.  The computers are taking over.

image.jpeg.884a4475e15c10c12622b80519b82bbf.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

It's quite difficult to stop the automatic updates, I know that for sure!

And you shouldn't try to stop them. Because updates bring security for all those security holes.

If you want the updates later you can delay them, that is a setting in Windows updates.

There's a time when I had to use a MS account and a password after an update.

But it's easy to get rid of it.

Just go to settings and change your password. When asked to type a password just leave it blank, go to next and it's over.

45 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

It sure is, but this was not an update, a few years ago I got one of these automatic updates, and lost everything, and I mean everything, I had to start from scratch again, fortunately it has not happened since.

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know what happend here but I had many times users telling me: My password does not work anymore.

And there was an easy reason for that. Their username was wrong...

Check username and password - one alone is not good enough. ???? 

I never ever asked for any user name or password, I just tried to boot up my computer as I have done nearly every day for years.

Now I probably will have to use this username and password every time I boot up.

29 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

There's a time when I had to use a MS account and a password after an update.

But it's easy to get rid of it.

Just go to settings and change your password. When asked to type a password just leave it blank, go to next and it's over.

We are talking about Microsoft - nothing is ever easy.

Not on my computer - Had to use password to obtain code to even access change and then I have to input old password and will not let me leave the new password blank.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I never ever asked for any user name or password, I just tried to boot up my computer as I have done nearly every day for years.

Now I probably will have to use this username and password every time I boot up.

Every Windows computer logs on with a username, even if you don't see that.

If there is only one user and that user has no password then Windows never asks for a password.

You can check in file explorer, driver c, directory Users, c:\Users

There are subdirectories for each user and you should see which username your PC used until now.

Next time you login you will likely be able to use that name without password.

The user directory also stores all user documents like "My Documents", Desktop, email settings, and much more.

If you had i.e. documents on the desktop and in My Documents then you won't see them with a new user account.

But if you logon again with the old account you should see them just like before.

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Not that it is advisable to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently, but there is a sure way to do it in the Windows registry. Before you attempt to do this, you hsould be sure to make an update or at least a restore point. If you do not follow the instructions perfectly, you will have a big chance to wreck you system real good.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog box. Fill in regedit and press enter

2. Find : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Right click on the Windows folder and select new . Click on Key and name oyur new key "WindowsUpdate" (no spaces)

4. Right click on the WindowsUpdate key. Select New and Key. name this new key "AU".

5. Now click on the AU key, and then right click on the empty space in the right hand pane.

6. Select New from the popup menu and click on DWORD (32/bit) Value. Name the new DWORD "NoAutoUpdate".

7. Double click on NoAutoUpdate. Here you will now have the choice of filling in two different values. Use the digit 1 to permanently disable updates in Windows 10, and use 0 whenever you wish to turn them on again. 

You might need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. So, now you guys have a solution that will give you the full freedom to switch between no updates and automatic updates. Cheers!

(Att: there are also other options to turn of automatic updates, but this one I=ve been finding superior.)

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Every Windows computer logs on with a username, even if you don't see that.

If there is only one user and that user has no password then Windows never asks for a password.

You can check in file explorer, driver c, directory Users, c:\Users

There are subdirectories for each user and you should see which username your PC used until now.

Next time you login you will likely be able to use that name without password.

The user directory also stores all user documents like "My Documents", Desktop, email settings, and much more.

If you had i.e. documents on the desktop and in My Documents then you won't see them with a new user account.

But if you logon again with the old account you should see them just like before.

Thanks for your help, but I am just not computer literate for all this stuff.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks for your help, but I am just not computer literate for all this stuff.

Let's say it like this:

When you use your PC see if you miss anything. I.e. did you have a working mail program and now not anymore? 

Did you have documents or shortcuts on your desktop and not anymore?

Is anything else missing?

If yes, then you better try to logon with your old account again. That might be a little work now. But if you don't do that and if you miss your documents in 3 months then you have to do that work then and then try to put old documents and new documents together.

If you don't get it working and if you miss your documents ask someone who knows about Windows or send me a PM.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, possum1931 said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027068/windows-10-switch-your-device-to-a-local-account

Dear me. All these posters in thrall to Windows. Free Linux, Ubuntu and more advanced OS right on your doorstep, no never-ending patches on fatware. They politely remind you of updates, and don't commandeer your computer.

I guess it's a triumph of marketing over substance. Windows Vista is what converted me.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Dear me. All these posters in thrall to Windows. Free Linux, Ubuntu and more advanced OS right on your doorstep, no never-ending patches on fatware. They politely remind you of updates, and don't commandeer your computer.

I guess it's a triumph of marketing over substance. Windows Vista is what converted me.

Queue the Apple fanboys...

If W10 follows the bad habits of ALL its predecessors... and there's absolutely no valid reason why it shouldn't, chances are that a recent background automatic update has reset something on the OP's computer to a default 'all users must log in' setting that probably wasn't a default in earlier versions that weren't quite so anal about security?

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Queue the Apple fanboys...

If W10 follows the bad habits of ALL its predecessors... and there's absolutely no valid reason why it shouldn't, chances are that a recent background automatic update has reset something on the OP's computer to a default 'all users must log in' setting that probably wasn't a default in earlier versions that weren't quite so anal about security?

That would be Cue.

People who have Windows 10 Home installed, will be at the mercy of Feature Updates, wherein afterwards they may have to choose as to how to sign in.

They should choose the Offline option;

setup1809_2.jpg

setup1809_3.jpg

Choose Pro, where one has more control over the update process.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

That would be Cue.

People who have Windows 10 Home installed, will be at the mercy of Feature Updates, wherein afterwards they may have to choose as to how to sign in.

setup1809_2.jpg

setup1809_3.jpg

Pro costs how much extra? I never cease to wonder at the willingness of people to pay for an OS when the same control is available free of charge with a free OS.

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Pro costs how much extra? I never cease to wonder at the willingness of people to pay for an OS when the same control is available free of charge with a free OS.

100 baht or less.

Same control, but not the same experience.

Just like they would have to learn how to manipulate a new and unknown(to them) OS, they can use the same energy to learn how to get the best out of Windows 10.

It's a wonder why people suggest to novices that they should use an operating system about which they know nothing at all.

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you have a bought and paid for, licensed W7 installation, you can still upgrade to W10 Pro for free. Yes, MS removed the quick and dirty free upgrade option last year but it can still be done.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If you have a bought and paid for, licensed W7 installation, you can still upgrade to W10 Pro for free. Yes, MS removed the quick and dirty free upgrade option last year but it can still be done.

All options are still open, as far as I am aware.

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

That would be Cue.

setup1809_2.jpg

setup1809_3.jpg

Enterprise or even LTSC, which gives back 100% control to the user., where it belongs.  LTSC does not have any feature updates..  only security updates which may be completely shut off if needed.

5 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

100 baht or less.

Same control, but not the same experience.

Just like they would have to learn how to manipulate a new and unknown(to them) OS, they can use the same energy to learn how to get the best out of Windows 10.

It's a wonder why people suggest to novices that they should use an operating system about which they know nothing at all.

Even novices can learn. There is plenty of help online to do so. The beauty of the free OS's is no-one is bothering to write viruses for those systems, whereas Windows is under constant attack.

The LibreOffice suite does everything I need that Microsoft Word and Excel did formerly. I use Firefox and Google Chrome, Windows Explorer was another irritant for me.

I abandoned Windows/Microsoft completely over 8 years ago. I've had absolutely no cause to regret my decision, and the fact I am responding to you with this post is an indicator of the efficacy of Linux.

ive had stranger things then that happen,

after i transferred the first 100k to my thai bank account,

i got an email from bkk bank saying there was

an impeding doom of my account being closed

if i didnt right away confirm back my account details.

it was suspiciously like the daily ipcc reports

so i went to the bank in question and asked

what the alarmism was all about ?

they denied sending any email demanding

account details, and stated no closing was to be expected of my account.

Archived