BANGKOK
possum1931

A Strange Thing Happened.

This morning when I booted my desktop computer up, they asked for a password. I do not have a password as I am the only person who ever

uses it as it is in my own locked room, so I was asked to create a password.

After I did that, they said I needed a code, so I picked a four digit number, then they said it would be sent to my email address, But I could not get logged

in without that code, so I went to my laptop and then I got my code number and got logged on to my desktop.

But the thing is, I never asked for this in the first place. What if I never had another computer or smartphone, being the only Farang in my town I would have had a problem.

Who are "they"?

• Like 1

Are you using Win10?  I had to make a Microsoft password years ago but had Windows set up to not ask - but for last few months it does about once or twice a week and have to use that Microsoft password.  At one time was asked to make a pin to log on easier but refused and not asked again.  The computers are taking over.

image.jpeg.884a4475e15c10c12622b80519b82bbf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

they asked for a password

who?

• Like 1

It's quite difficult to stop the automatic updates, I know that for sure!

I don't know what happend here but I had many times users telling me: My password does not work anymore.

And there was an easy reason for that. Their username was wrong...

Check username and password - one alone is not good enough. 😉 

• Like 2

There's a time when I had to use a MS account and a password after an update.

But it's easy to get rid of it.

Just go to settings and change your password. When asked to type a password just leave it blank, go to next and it's over.

Edited by Isaanbiker

Windows10 I would think.

Edited by possum1931

45 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

It sure is, but this was not an update, a few years ago I got one of these automatic updates, and lost everything, and I mean everything, I had to start from scratch again, fortunately it has not happened since.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know what happend here but I had many times users telling me: My password does not work anymore.

And there was an easy reason for that. Their username was wrong...

Check username and password - one alone is not good enough. 😉 

I never ever asked for any user name or password, I just tried to boot up my computer as I have done nearly every day for years.

Now I probably will have to use this username and password every time I boot up.

Edited by possum1931

29 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

There's a time when I had to use a MS account and a password after an update.

But it's easy to get rid of it.

Just go to settings and change your password. When asked to type a password just leave it blank, go to next and it's over.

We are talking about Microsoft - nothing is ever easy.

Not on my computer - Had to use password to obtain code to even access change and then I have to input old password and will not let me leave the new password blank.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

who?

Windows10.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I never ever asked for any user name or password, I just tried to boot up my computer as I have done nearly every day for years.

Now I probably will have to use this username and password every time I boot up.

Every Windows computer logs on with a username, even if you don't see that.

If there is only one user and that user has no password then Windows never asks for a password.

You can check in file explorer, driver c, directory Users, c:\Users

There are subdirectories for each user and you should see which username your PC used until now.

Next time you login you will likely be able to use that name without password.

The user directory also stores all user documents like "My Documents", Desktop, email settings, and much more.

If you had i.e. documents on the desktop and in My Documents then you won't see them with a new user account.

But if you logon again with the old account you should see them just like before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Not that it is advisable to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently, but there is a sure way to do it in the Windows registry. Before you attempt to do this, you hsould be sure to make an update or at least a restore point. If you do not follow the instructions perfectly, you will have a big chance to wreck you system real good.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog box. Fill in regedit and press enter

2. Find : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Right click on the Windows folder and select new . Click on Key and name oyur new key "WindowsUpdate" (no spaces)

4. Right click on the WindowsUpdate key. Select New and Key. name this new key "AU".

5. Now click on the AU key, and then right click on the empty space in the right hand pane.

6. Select New from the popup menu and click on DWORD (32/bit) Value. Name the new DWORD "NoAutoUpdate".

7. Double click on NoAutoUpdate. Here you will now have the choice of filling in two different values. Use the digit 1 to permanently disable updates in Windows 10, and use 0 whenever you wish to turn them on again. 

You might need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. So, now you guys have a solution that will give you the full freedom to switch between no updates and automatic updates. Cheers!

(Att: there are also other options to turn of automatic updates, but this one I=ve been finding superior.)

Edited by Matzzon