Swapping High and Low Pressure Gas Regulators

carlyai

I have gas smoker and the 2 burners don't seem to be getting enough gas (unit doesn't get hot enough, but before it did). It has a Low Pressure (LP) regulator model 339.

I have a gas BBQ with 4 burners, it works well and has a High Pressure (HP) regulator model 108.

They can be both supplied from the same gas bottle.

I can't see any blockages with the gas to the smoker, therefore presume it could be the LP regulator.

I want to replace the LP smoker regulator with the HP BBQ regulator to see if this is the problem.

I can't see any problems. OK or not?20191020_141202.jpg20191020_141157.jpg20191020_140943.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I can't see any problems. OK or not?

I wouldn't, the pressure difference is just to great (HP is 10-20 times LP).

If the smoker has worked with a LP reg before then it should continue working. LP regs are cheap as chips I'd just replace the beastie.

Also those are the extremely cheap regulators without the safety shutoff. As such I would get at least 1 good low pressure valve. 

If that doesn't work then clean the burners. 
Burners are good checked them and have flame at each hole.

Those regulators came with the kit. But about 5 years old.

The safety regulators, (click clack weeerrr) think I remember, got a dial on them with ON or an ON timer and small guage?

Wire brush the burners and poke a wire or toothpick into every hole.  If they unscrew, give them a bump and see if any crud comes out.

BUT, you don't want a smoker to get hot - just smoke.

Yep, checked the burners before...but the flame wasn't hot enough to catch the wood chips on fire.

14 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yep, checked the burners before...but the flame wasn't hot enough to catch the wood chips on fire.

That doesn't make sense.  Even a yellow flame is plenty hot enough to start a fire.  Is there something that raise/lower the chip platform?  Again, you don't want the chips to burn, just smoke - smolder is the best term I suppose.

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

The safety regulators, (click clack weeerrr) think I remember, got a dial on them with ON or an ON timer and small guage?

Those are the expensive door-to-door salesman type units sold at high price.  The basic safety unit just has a button to stop flow if becomes too much (leak) and have to reset to start again.

image.jpeg.9240297a84ae592e26f3c5c301cfc290.jpeg

29 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Burners are good checked them and have flame at each hole.

Those regulators came with the kit. But about 5 years old.

The correct ones are shown under and cost about 300 Baht. The ones you have are probably about ½ or less than that.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

If the smoker has worked with a LP reg before then it should continue working.

• Has the beast actually worked as set up now?
  • Bottle has gas?

Yes and Yes? - replace the LP reg.

EDIT Do check the burner jets, they probably unscrew and have an eensy-weensy hole that can coke up, poke it with a fine needle.

Sounds strange to me as high pressure regulators are normally only used for commercial type gas burners - my BBQ has always used normal home low pressure.
Just remembered and had a look. It has a speed burner on the side. Normal flame for like heating a big pot of soup, but an extra flame (like a turbo flame) for quick heat. That's probably why the HP regulator. I seem to now remember ordering that option.

That doesn't make sense.  Even a yellow flame is plenty hot enough to start a fire.  Is there something that raise/lower the chip platform?  Again, you don't want the chips to burn, just smoke - smolder is the best term I suppose.
No. The chips are enclosed in a SS box with a mesh top.
I'll have a bit more of a play when I buy the new regulator.
When I first used it (a while ago) it got to brisket recommended cooking temp and smoked. Last time I used it it wouldn't get to temperature and no smoke.
I got sick of moving it all round the yard, as everytime I had a good spot it would get crowded out with pot plants. So this time I checked and there was an understanding that when I wanted to smoke or BBQ, even once every month, just want to do it, not move pot plants, water features, shoes, baskets, fish food etc. So now I'm getting it all set up again. [emoji38] Still have to move the shoes and fish food which seems to position on top of the smoker and resting at the base of the smoker.

• Has the beast actually worked as set up now?
  • Bottle has gas?
Yes and Yes? - replace the LP reg.

EDIT Do check the burner jets, they probably unscrew and have an eensy-weensy hole that can coke up, poke it with a fine needle.
No it's in my new designated position. Spent some time in the shed.
Full bottle gas. Will do tomorrow.

I'd guy an adjustable regulator, the red ones, and you can adjust the pressure that you want. I think that they cost about 400 baht. We used one at my wife's restaurant as she had three of those big gas burners hooked to the same gas bottle and you can't stir fry properly without a Biiig flame.

Bees Knees ...can adjust it as well. Red ones are always better and go faster.[emoji3]20191022_121713.jpg.24d46ceb0527070f3b803dbb9299d665.jpg

But, (said very softly) didn't fix the problem. So took it all to bits (burners don't screw out), compessed air blew out all the gas pipework and jets. A small amount of wasp house came out. Just enough it seemed to reduce the gas supply.

Doc, the maker of my stuff said I purchased it in May 2014 and this year they are making their new models with SS burners as better.

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Doc, the maker of my stuff said I purchased it in May 2014 and this year they are making their new models with SS burners as better.

He is a very nice friendly guy and will make custom bits for you if you want.

Oh the answer was in post number 4.

First rule of tech support, check the thing is plugged in and turned on. Or simple things cure 95% of problems, the 5% makes for fun trouble shooting but are usually not the cure.

however at least you now have one safer regulator 

5 hours ago, carlyai said:

Thanks for the critisism. Enjoyed it. ????
The post was about regulators.

Really? I thought that it was about the problem of the units not getting hot enough.

With the assumption that the regulator was at fault. 
Maybe I misunderstood  your first post.

Really? I thought that it was about the problem of the units not getting hot enough.

With the assumption that the regulator was at fault. 
Maybe I misunderstood  your first post.
Swapping High and Low Pressure Gas Regulators. This was the title of the first post. Don't know which #1 you read.

There was gas flow, just not enough, so wanted to see if the regulator could have been faulty by swapping it with another one.
I looked at all the places wasps could build a nest in the gas line and I didn't see any. It's all sealed. Flames were also coming out all the burner holes so they weren't blocked.
Where the partial blockage was was 2 m up the clear plastic gas line from the bottle in the first control valve. The only way a wasp could try to make a nest up there was to climb up the 2 m pipe sometime when the regulator and gas bottle weren't connected to the gas line which hasn't been for ...don't know how long.
So my logic said 1. change the regulator. 2. take the gas assembly to pieces and investigate further.

Not very often, but sometimes you are not quite correct. [emoji39]

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

High and Low Pressure Gas Regulators. This was the title of the first post. Don't know which #1 you read.

I don’t know maybe the first paragraph! ???? 

(unit doesn't get hot enough, but before it did).

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Not very often, but sometimes you are not quite correct. emoji39.png

If you listen to SWMBO she would leave out both the words "sometimes" and “quite” from that sentence. 

But anyway it’s now back to functioning as it used and you have provided a handy reminder. 

6 hours ago, RideJocky said:

It is amazing what they can get into ..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's even more amazing what can make a bbq burner stop burning....mine also refused to burn several times, for sure there's nothing in the burners, i poked all holes and so but suddenly it works again...i have never seen any dirt or so coming out. It must have been very tiny i guess...and it always was at the place where the gas mixes with oxygen...those tiny holes.

Archived