Public Wifi -> Private Wifi -> Private Network

MJCM

For the time being we have to stay in a Rented Apartment, this appt has Public (read shared Wifi). Now I would like to create a Private Network (to connect my NAS for example) but would like to use the Public Wifi to have everything connected to the Net.

Getting a private internet line isn't an option, because we are only renting this for a couple of months.

Was thinking of an AP (which connects to the Public Wifi) connect this to a router (with it's own Private IP Range and DHCP active) and connect my devices to this router ?  Would this work ?? Or any other suggestions ?

Thx in advance

If you don't actually have to log-on to your apartment WiFi then you can use a router that has WISP mode https://wifi-settings.com/wireless-routers/wisp-mode/

A Linksys WRT-54GL with DD-WRT firmware will do the trick or there are loads of wireless extenders which also would work but they invariably only have one ethernet port.

Look for a router with WISP or Client Mode.

Two DHCP servers is not a good idea. As far as I remember the client PC will more or less randomly use one. 

If you want to use two different IP ranges and/or two different IP addresses at the same time then I suggest you set the private IP addresses manually. Then nobody won't be connected to it by accident because of the DHCP server.

Make sure you use a private IP range!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Two DHCP servers is not a good idea. As far as I remember the client PC will more or less randomly use one. 

If you want to use two different IP ranges and/or two different IP addresses at the same time then I suggest you set the private IP addresses manually. Then nobody won't be connected to it by accident because of the DHCP server.

Make sure you use a private IP range!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Yeah you are right ! I completely forgot about the 2 DHCP ! I can't turn off the DHCP of the Appt Wifi !!

Thx.

Yeah the Appt Wifi uses 192.168.x.x and for my home network will use 10.0.0.x

But a bit a pain in the ... to manual assign all devices a IP, but safety first, as I already had someone try to connect to the Smart TV.

Thx again appreciated

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yeah you are right ! I completely forgot about the 2 DHCP ! I can't turn off the DHCP of the Appt Wifi !!

Thx.

Yeah the Appt Wifi uses 192.168.x.x and for my home network will use 10.0.0.x

But a bit a pain in the ... to manual assign all devices a IP, but safety first, as I already had someone try to connect to the Smart TV.

Thx again appreciated

If you use 10.0.0 make sure you have the correct subnet mask for a class A network!

http://tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPDefaultSubnetMasksForAddressClassesABandC.htm

38 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What if you don't ? What then ? Limit the amount of hosts only ?

I have to admit it's too long ago that I learned about that. As far as I remember it will most likely still work but it's not good practice and it might have some other side effects.

Using the correct subnet mask is the same work like using the wrong one so there is no reason to use the wrong one.

Any restrictions start for more than 255 IP addresses in the same IP range and I guess you have a lot less than 255 devices at home. ????

Where did this 2 DHCP server idea come from? (and yes it's a bad idea to have two on one network)

A router in WISP mode uses the wireless as an effective WAN connection, the DHCP of the hotel WiFi is totally isolated from your mini-network in the room.

EDIT Yes the room needs to be on a different subnet, but there should be no issues with DHCP and no need to manually assign addresses.

Where did this 2 DHCP server idea come from? (and yes it's a bad idea to have two on one network)  

A router in WISP mode uses the wireless as an effective WAN connection, the DHCP of the hotel WiFi is totally isolated from your mini-network in the room.

EDIT Yes the room needs to be on a different subnet, but there should be no issues with DHCP and no need to manually assign addresses.

No idea, but it just came up ;)

Thx

You could check if this is available at your place: http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/nocontract/en/?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-aisfibre_submenu1-package_service_submenu2-homebroadband_submenu3

I don't have experience with this wisp mode, but sounds like it should work.

What does definitely work is simply using two routers (or one router and one accesspoint)

Just set router A to wifi client mode (make sure this is supported by the router/ap of your choice, not every device supports this), connect it to the wifi and disable the DHCP server on this device.

Check which ip range the target wifi is using. Configure the DHCP server on router B to use another ip range, and set the wan mode to DHCP.

Then connect the wan port of router B to one of the lan ports of router A.

Now everything should be working as expected.

Archived