BMW X1 or Audi Q2?

As said by others if value is your concern. Neither of these vehicles are a good value in Thailand IMO.

Plenty of good SUV's with easy service and reasonably priced and available parts , that would give you good service.

If you got money to throw away, both of your choices will do just as good.

I would refrain from buying a new car ( I did before and lsot a million baht in 3 and half years on the value) in view of the inflated proces and the residual value after a few years is very poor. I bought a one owner MB C200 AMG. 6 years old with 80K on the clock. In the 3 years I have had it I have put over 100,000 more on the clock. It drives and looks like a dream. Apart from routine service charges everything is fine. I paid less than a Million and would get about 550-600,000 for it now, Great motoring and I cannot recommend it enough.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

it is worth if you have style and don't want to look like 99% cheap charlies foreigners driving an ugly pickup.

Trust me, it makes a difference with cops, they just know that we are not from the same world ❤️

Dream on????????????

54 minutes ago, Hotrudester said:

I would refrain from buying a new car ( I did before and lsot a million baht in 3 and half years on the value) in view of the inflated proces and the residual value after a few years is very poor. I bought a one owner MB C200 AMG. 6 years old with 80K on the clock. In the 3 years I have had it I have put over 100,000 more on the clock. It drives and looks like a dream. Apart from routine service charges everything is fine. I paid less than a Million and would get about 550-600,000 for it now, Great motoring and I cannot recommend it enough.

yes but i be very worry to buy a car who ad a bad crach, most of the repair shop are  very  good in cuting corner.but if you buy from the owner ou a friend you know,yes you can save a lot money!

My choice would be the x1 but if I was buying I would look around bangkok at used car dealerships . You can pick up an immaculate Audi Q5 few years old with less than 50,000 km on it for around 1.7 m or so. My wife went to look before and couldn’t believe the amount of choice from bmw , Mercedes and Audi. She said most looked like they had never been used they were that good condition.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

it is worth if you have style and don't want to look like 99% cheap charlies foreigners driving an ugly pickup.

Trust me, it makes a difference with cops, they just know that we are not from the same world ❤️

My face makes the difference with cops, not what I am driving.

Trust you......Hmmmmm, with a post like that, don't think so........????.......????

3 hours ago, no deal said:

and the x1 is made in thailand so no extra tax right?

No, they got their cars in parts and assemble them in their factories. So the customs is "only" 85%, not 200 - 300% if they would import the complete car.

On 10/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Laddawan Ekkachai said:

2. Which cars is good in term of performance and value? X1 or Q2?

I can´t say something about the performance, but you can´t find dealer of Audi outside Bangkok. There is none by example in Chiang Mai. But here you can find Mercedes and BMW dealer. So if you travel a lot through Thailand, I wouldn´t recommend an Audi.

I am waiting for the brand new Mercedes GLB what will arrive during the next months. The price will be between the GLA and the GLC. 

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I can´t say something about the performance, but you can´t find dealer of Audi outside Bangkok. There is none by example in Chiang Mai. But here you can find Mercedes and BMW dealer. So if you travel a lot through Thailand, I wouldn´t recommend an Audi.

I am waiting for the brand new Mercedes GLB what will arrive during the next months. The price will be between the GLA and the GLC. 

There is an Audi dealer on Phuket.

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Both very nice cars. What made you chose the GLB?

What is the price?

I don't see it in the 2019 Mercedes price list.

BenzPriceList_en_bl_19.06.2019.pdf

If a choice solely between the X1 and Q2 I would be inclined to go for the X1 because BMW has a better dealer network, I suspect the resale value of BMW would be better. I believe BMW also offer 7 years Servicing etc whereas I suspect Audi just offer the standard (for Thailand) 3 years (or is it 2?). 

Also consider the Volvo XC-40 which is coming with some fairly impressive deals. 

Regarding any opinion on value for money compared with Japanese cars, the point is fairly moot - if you want more prestigious European car go for it, they are better and more refined, not by a lot these days but the difference is there. 

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Both very nice cars. What made you chose the GLB?

What is the price?

I don't see it in the 2019 Mercedes price list.

BenzPriceList_en_bl_19.06.2019.pdf 118.85 kB · 0 downloads

I haven´t finally choosen it, I am only waiting for it how it looks in real and with which engine it will come. Then, and after knowing the price, I will make a decision.

I chatted with the German guy from Mercedes in Thailand and asked him if the GLB will have a seat ventilation and a (useless) sun roof. He said, it will haven´t both. And perhaps it will have only a 1.3 l engine, what would be a no-go for me.

The GLB is nowhere on the market. In Germany you can order it now, but you will receive it in spring next year. No idea when it will come to Thailand. I expect in the beginning of the next year. It will be produced in Mexico. No idea what the price will be.

13 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I haven´t choosen it, I am only waiting for it how it looks in real and with which engine it will come. Then, and after knowing the price, I will make a decision.

I chatted with the German guy from Mercedes in Thailand and asked him if the GLB will have a seat ventilation and a (useless) sun roof. He said, it will haven´t both. And perhaps it will have only a 1.3 l engine, what would be a no-go for me.

The GLB is nowhere on the market. In Germany you can order it now, but you will receive it in spring next year. No idea when it will come to Thailand. I expect in the beginning of the next year. It will be produced in Mexico. No idea what the price will be.

The GLE500e with 328 HP is also interesting, but a bit bulky and really not that pretty.

I am kind of watching the GLC series and I think/hope we will see a hybrid version in 2020.

The GLC43 is a different beast all together, but since it is now made locally it dropped from 5.7 to 4.7 million baht.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The GLE500e with 328 HP is also interesting, but a bit bulky and really not that pretty.

I am kind of watching the GLC series and I think/hope we will see a hybrid version in 2020.

The GLC43 is a different beast all together, but since it is now made locally it dropped from 5.7 to 4.7 million baht.

I like to sit high. Right now I have a Pajero. The GLC seating is too low for me. I think the GLB would fit perfect - high seating position and not too large. A 2 l. engine would be enough for me. A while I thought about the BMW X3, but the reputation of the BMW dealer in Chiang Mai is really bad. And then I have seen the GLB in the internet. Can´t wait to see it in real. Check it out at Youtube. There are many videos, also from the Motor Show in Frankfurt. 

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I like to sit high. Right now I have a Pajero. The GLC seating is too low for me. I think the GLB would fit perfect - high seating position and not too large. A 2 l. engine would be enough for me. A while I thought about the BMW X3, but the reputation of the BMW dealer in Chiang Mai is really bad. And then I have seen the GLB in the internet. Can´t wait to see it in real. Check it out at Youtube. There are many videos, also from the Motor Show in Frankfurt. 

I have used Barcelona Motors in Chiang Mai. Excellent service and they got the part in over night from their much bigger Bangkok branch.

Will be looking forward to see the GLB.

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have used Barcelona Motors in Chiang Mai. Excellent service and they got the part in over night from their much bigger Bangkok branch.

Will be looking forward to see the GLB.

Yes, Barcelona Motors. A friend has a 7er and he let make the service in Bangkok now, because he had so many problems with Barcelona Motors. And they are more expensive than his BMW garage in Bangkok. Another friend had bad experiences with Barcelona Motors too. When I was there to take a look at the X3 and later at the X5 I found nobody who spoke more than a view words English.

Here is a video about the GLB with many informations.

I enjoy driving my wife's X1. It has a beautiful smooth transmission. Very roomy and comfortable. Ride was a bit harsh and noisy until we changed to non runflat. The only thing I don't like is the front wheel drive. Steering can feel a bit fidgety when you accelerate hard. And no cruise control on the base diesel model! But my wife would never use it so not an issue. 

Neither.. 

Luxury cars in TH are 3 times the price compared to back home. Your paying nearly $100k for an entry level mini suv with a small 1.5litre engine.. it doesn’t matter how much money you’ve got nearly $100k for something this basic is not worth it. What’s also offensive in the Thai car market is despite how expensive BMW’s and Merc’s are they sell the models with nearly 0 options..just basic stuff for ridiculous price. meanwhile in the US for $40k you could buy a brand new BMW 3 series with *minimal options* but it’ll still nearly be 80% fully loaded. 

That being said, My opinion is always buy used let the first owner (sucker) get hit by depreciation. A new car 2 months later is a used car.  Granted with the high initial prices in TH, you won’t be able to enjoy the massive depreciations that we experience back home but it’ll still be $10,000 cheaper to buy a 2-3 year old BMW with 20-30000km. Still have warranty or can get extended warranty. 

Just recently I keep getting ads from a Mercedes dealership in Bangkok that’s offering crazy prices as they are trying to sell off inventory. 

3.6million for a brand new 2019 C43 AMG coupe

Its 4.2mil pre clearance price. And a crummy 1.8litre C200 coupe is 3.4million so for only 200,000thb more your getting a 3.5litre twin turbo V6 with 380bhp for a similar price! I think that’s a hell of a deal. Used car price for a brand new AMG. In Japan a C43 AMG is $100k, and Japan is one of the cheapest countries to buy cars, so the price is acceptable if you compare to the rest of the world.

Anyways I think I ranted enough. 

Archived