Where Is The Voice Of Thais That Expats Support ?

Is this another thread where a Foreigner believes they are propping up the Thai Economy and expects an 'easy ride' ???

The Regs / Rules are simple: 

- They want you to have sufficient funds to be able to support yourself (proof of income from overseas into a Thai Bank Account, or >800k baht, or >400k baht for Type O Marriage.

- They want you not to work illegally

- They want Retirees to have medical insurance cover (because most can't cover the costs themselves - and if they can, they could go the Thai Elite Option, or they can afford the Insurance premium)

People keep crying of this forum but I really don't get it - if you believe you are propping up the Thai Economy this strongly it shouldn't be difficult to meet any of the stipulated requirements. 

If on the other hand you are 'scraping the barrel' to stay here, then you are not doing a great deal for the Thai Economy and the government really doesn't care about you - its tough but its that simple. 

I'm sympathetic to those with families who struggle to meet the financial and insurance requirements, but there also exists a financial requirement to bring your Thai Wife to the UK (minimum income / savings) so there are difficulties there. 

The short of it is that Govornments have to stipulate some boundaries or everyone just abuses the systems completely, ultimately to the detriment of everyone else. 

This is what has been happening in Thailand and the government are getting wise to it - insisting on Insurance (for those they consider high risk), ultimately they may insist on Insurance for all Visitors and thats not really a bad thing, but it leads to 'another issue being handled poorly', then of course there are the amounts of foreigners abusing the Visa systems, working here illegally or staying too long on the wrong types of Visa. 

I understand the crackdowns, the firming up of the regulations as equally as I understand and sympathize with the difficulties some have meeting them - the rules are the rules, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and exaggerate our impact here. 

Unfortunately, this is a world trend. As communication systems have improved, the world has got smaller and more people have the options of travelling and living abroad. At the same time, fear of terrorism has increased and electronic systems that offer various ways of monitoring people have been developed.

Thailand does have a few odd wrinkles in their rules that they should rethink but they are trying to deal with problems. Do you think it would be cheaper / easier to do this in western countries? America have just hired lawyers to recheck people who have gained citizenship and look what the UK did to members of the windrush generation.

I don't like it either but I think rules are going to continue to get tougher. And not just in Thailand.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

CM immigration have already announced ALL retirement extensions will require insurance after the end of this month.

I don't think so. I renewed my extension on Friday, and it was actually due on November 3. Not a word was uttered about insurance.

Perhaps you could publish a regulation put out by CM Immigration which confirms your assertion. Verbal announcements are not the same thing.

Thais won't stand up and be counted unless their backs are to the wall. Don't expect any support at all.

I see so many posts by foreigners who want to know what the Thais think about us. The answer is simple, they don't. 

Yes there will be collateral damage to Thai families with all these immigration policies, but if you are thinking the Thais will come out in support of the expat, think again Sir!

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this another thread where a Foreigner believes they are propping up the Thai Economy and expects an 'easy ride' ???

The Regs / Rules are simple: 

- They want you to have sufficient funds to be able to support yourself (proof of income from overseas into a Thai Bank Account, or >800k baht, or >400k baht for Type O Marriage.

- They want you not to work illegally

- They want Retirees to have medical insurance cover (because most can't cover the costs themselves - and if they can, they could go the Thai Elite Option, or they can afford the Insurance premium)

People keep crying of this forum but I really don't get it - if you believe you are propping up the Thai Economy this strongly it shouldn't be difficult to meet any of the stipulated requirements. 

If on the other hand you are 'scraping the barrel' to stay here, then you are not doing a great deal for the Thai Economy and the government really doesn't care about you - its tough but its that simple. 

I'm sympathetic to those with families who struggle to meet the financial and insurance requirements, but there also exists a financial requirement to bring your Thai Wife to the UK (minimum income / savings) so there are difficulties there. 

The short of it is that Govornments have to stipulate some boundaries or everyone just abuses the systems completely, ultimately to the detriment of everyone else. 

This is what has been happening in Thailand and the government are getting wise to it - insisting on Insurance (for those they consider high risk), ultimately they may insist on Insurance for all Visitors and thats not really a bad thing, but it leads to 'another issue being handled poorly', then of course there are the amounts of foreigners abusing the Visa systems, working here illegally or staying too long on the wrong types of Visa. 

I understand the crackdowns, the firming up of the regulations as equally as I understand and sympathize with the difficulties some have meeting them - the rules are the rules, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and exaggerate our impact here. 

I have to agree with you Sir!

12 hours ago, uhuh said:

Dear Yinn

Unfortunately,  this is a very typical middle- class Thai attitude. 

No knowledge whatsoever about economics.

Ok. 

12 hours ago, uhuh said:

Arrogant and xenophobic.

Brexit. Build the wall.

12 hours ago, uhuh said:

About the economic knowledge I can try to help you:

If a foreigner comes to Thailand and buys stuff for himself  (with money he brought into Thailand)  the economic effects are the same as if he would stay at home and Thailand would ship the stuff to his home (and he would send the money to Thailand).

The first case is tourism (even if it is long-stay tourism), the second case is export - the effects are the same. 

Most countries are very keen to export their products.  Actually, Thailand is one of the biggest exporters,  and tourism is a big part of it (note that a long-term tourist who stays here for many years but lives on money he sends in from abroad, is economically not different from a tourist who stays 2 weeks, and brings in money in his pocket).

And yes, Nepal is very happy about (and very dependent on) foreign tourists, and the Nepalese government does many things to make them come (just like TAT). Of course,  tourists in Nepal buy stuff for themselves,  but it's a kind of export, and Nepal doesn't have many other things to export (Thailand has many other things to export BTW).

Yes, thailand export and tourism very good.

Do amazing job, but we not know about “economics”. Only lucky.

Also we have low unemployment, strong currency, land prices going up etc.

12 hours ago, uhuh said:

About your arrogance and xenophobia I cannot help you. That you will have to tackle by yourself.

Thankyou Sir.

So back to OP.

what do you want? I offer red carpet.

35 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok. 

Brexit. Build the wall.

Yes, thailand export and tourism very good.

Do amazing job, but we not know about “economics”. Only lucky.

Also we have low unemployment, strong currency, land prices going up etc.

Thankyou Sir.

So back to OP.

what do you want? I offer red carpet.

You have low unemployment because you have 20 doing the job of 2...????

17 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

In my origin country France for example the ''refugees'' and illegal immigrants are a ''foreign less than 1% group of not super rich people'' and they can still manage to do the mess on a regular basis, included in the capital Paris, with the help of some french associations (Often from extreme left politics)

But of course i am not waiting the same thing happen here in Thailand.

You're not in Paris now Dorothy.

23 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Since the coup, years after years, a lot of the few ''protesters'' have ended in jail or they have just disapeared (If i remember well one or two of them were discover later in the mekong river with some kilos of concrete in the body) 

then i can understand the random people hesitate to go down the streets with signs to defend the farangs, as usual they just wait and see what that's going to happen and they will adapt at the new deal if it's possible, for the best or the worst.

Also a  farang  do not have to expect a lot of thanks from the thais recipients of his money

for most of the Thais is not the farang who is generous, it's Bouddha which has send the farang and Bouddha must be thanked for that, not the farang.

It's true! After my wife got her license plate with 3 sevens in it (777) she met me and we're still together after 15 years.

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Since the next 31 october if i am not wrong

yes i know it's not all Thai insurance but hey

they are a big percentage of the list

The compulsory insurance is only for OA visa holders.

I think that it is a good idea considering all of the people that do not pay their hospital bills, or those foreigners living here that do not pay taxes/social security etc but still use the medical facilities.

(Paying alcohol tax on your bottle of Chang does not cover the social infrastructure.)

38 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that it is a good idea considering all of the people that do not pay their hospital bills, or those foreigners living here that do not pay taxes/social security etc but still use the medical facilities.

(Paying alcohol tax on your bottle of Chang does not cover the social infrastructure.)

Obviously you have missed the fact that immigrations offices ask compulsory insurance for OA holders AND extensions of stay (If ou have had an OA years ago)

the compulsory insurance could be a good idea if it was not a scam in his actual form (High price and poor coverage)

the people not paying the hospital bills are not the retirees, they are mostly tourists and foreigners from neighborhood countries (Laos, Myanmar, Cambodgia, Vietnam, China)

The caucasians foreigners living here use the medical facilities but they pay for it, it's not free (And Thai goverment has recently up the price x2 or x3 for foreigners in public hospitals)

I do not drink Chang (I don't like beer and i rarely drink alcool) but for cover the social infrastructure i pay taxes of everything i buy in Thailand on a daily basis (What do you think the 7% tax on all is for?)

Have a nice day

55 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thai's in my home country are taken care of without them drinking beer....

YOU just think about that....????

This country doesn't have social security, that's why many farangs are bringing up Thai kids with farang money...Just think about that...????

• 2 weeks later...

Archived