More manufacturers relocating to Thailand from China, HK

webfact

10 hours ago, happy chappie said:

If true it's great news that needs to be relayed to mr trump and he will hopefully whack some duty on Thai exports to the US.

Why do you hope that?

9 hours ago, UTH001 said:

Wages in some areas in China (like Guangzhou etc) are higher than average Thai wages these days. Reason for low value manufacturing to move abroad. But instead of Thailand, I would have expected Chinese companies to move to Vietnam or Burma instead because of lower wages there?

Even before the trade war, many Chinese manufacturers have moved to Vietnam but now, high worker turnover and infrastructural bottlenecks there are pushing others to seek alternatives, such as Thailand and Malaysia which have far better infrastructure.

The eventual linking up via rail to China may also be another consideration.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Thailand is Asia's most developed auto parts market and a hub for the likes of Toyota, Honda and Mercedes-Benz,

A Benz made in Thailand is not the same as one from Germany, they are lower quality and cheaper.

And harddrives are sooo old, we all use ssd's now....much better.

And what power tools are you talking about? Power tools in Thailand cost double the price of the West...and they made in china...which brand is made in Thailand? Pumpkin?

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

A Benz made in Thailand is not the same as one from Germany, they are lower quality and cheaper.

Wrong again. 

Benz more expensive in thailand. Cheaper in Germany. 

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

And harddrives are sooo old, we all use ssd's now....much better.

And what power tools are you talking about? Power tools in Thailand cost double the price of the West...and they made in china...which brand is made in Thailand? Pumpkin?

Try google. I lazy do everything for you.

27 minutes ago, Thian said:

funny, every house around us has them here in BKK...and they also all have 1 or 2 new cars.

There is 0 in the village where I live and everyone has 1 pickup, 1 tractor and 2 motorbikes. They sit on the ground. I probably have the most luxurious computer chair of all the town and I paid like 5K.

Just now, wisperone said:

Funny, they are so proud of their success, but did not mention one company by name...hmmm.

They may not be so happy when trade war ends or when US puts tariffs on Thai goods being aware it was actually chinese 

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

I know a lot of TVF members are the bar people with the bar “friends.” That your life, you not know about...

Thailand is Asia's most developed auto parts market and a hub for the likes of Toyota, Honda and Mercedes-Benz, making cars and car parts the country's No. 1 export in 2012. The floods in 2011 disrupted more than 100 components makers.

Thailand is the second-largest exporter of computer hard drives and makers other components used in personal computers. Thailand’s important and fast-growing production industries are machinery and electric tools, furniture and wood products, canned food, and plastic products, while production industries that account for major export items are high-technology products such as integrated circuits and parts, hard disc drives, electrical appliances, vehicles, and vehicle parts. 

https://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/rayong/en.html

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/en/passengercars/the-brand/about-us/about-us.module.html

And much more. You guys talk like you know, but you not know. 

On this occasion you seem to have lost the plot. Sad, but it comes as no surprise! The topic of the story is about:

The story is NOT about what industries have been operating successfully in Thailand since 2011. Any fool can look that up in Google and quote it like they are a master know-all. You might find now in 2019 those old Google success stories are becoming irrelevant/historic because of the impact of the high baht on exports and other factors. To quote from another source which I am not permitted to mention:

"Other emerging economies (Indonesia and Vietnam) are developing an automotive industry, learning from Thailand's mistakes. This means Thailand could lose its automotive core competency unless policymakers adapt to industry upgrades to meet global trends".

This is 2019 not 2011. Try and keep your comments up-to-date and your pitiful sarcasm relevant to the topic. In this instance it has been wasted. 

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Why do you hope that?

It's quite simple really.what entitles countries like China and Thailand to ramp up massive import taxes on other countries goods when them same countries have small import taxes on Chinese,Thai goods.whats good for the goose is good for the gander.just one example is the US has lost jobs and the manufacture of Harley Davidson motorcycles to Thailand because they have taxed them to high heaven so the only way around it is to move Harley Davidson here.the very same that happened to ducati.

this is why trump has created a trade war with China.

if the spineles EU done the same maybe Europe would have lower unemployment and a much more Rosie future.

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Why do you hope that?

I also think the same as him. 

The reason is that Thailand is one of many countries that take advantage of larger economies like the US. 

Thailand has some of the highest import taxes in the world. Why? 

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

It's quite simple really.what entitles countries like China and Thailand to ramp up massive import taxes on other countries goods when them same countries have small import taxes on Chinese,Thai goods.whats good for the goose is good for the gander.just one example is the US has lost jobs and the manufacture of Harley Davidson motorcycles to Thailand because they have taxed them to high heaven so the only way around it is to move Harley Davidson here.the very same that happened to ducati.

this is why trump has created a trade war with China.

if the spineles EU done the same maybe Europe would have lower unemployment and a much more Rosie future.

You so simple. You think Harly build factory in Thailand for sell to Thai customer??? 55555555 

it for Harly can make more money. Same with Ducati. Lucky the company boss smart more than you. 

The company HOG, +1.39%  said the reason for the lowered outlook was that it took “considerably longer” than expected to obtain regulatory approvals, confirming that the European Union would give its motorcycles made in Thailand more favorable tariff treatment than if they were made in the U.S.

“Hogs” made in the U.S. and shipped to the EU were currently subject to a 31% tariff, increasing to 56% in 2021, while those made in Thailand are subject to just 6% tariffs.

Harley-Davidson had said a little more than a year ago that it planned to move some production overseas to combat the retaliatory tariffs imposed by the EU on imports from the U.S. That “surprised” and angered President Trump, who later tweeted that it was “great” that some Harley-Davidson owners planned to boycott the company.

Yinn happy to help you understand. 

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

On this occasion you seem to have lost the plot. Sad, but it comes as no surprise! The topic of the story is about:

The story is NOT about what industries have been operating successfully in Thailand since 2011. Any fool can look that up in Google and quote it like they are a master know-all. You might find now in 2019 those old Google success stories are becoming irrelevant/historic because of the impact of the high baht on exports and other factors. To quote from another source which I am not permitted to mention:

"Other emerging economies (Indonesia and Vietnam) are developing an automotive industry, learning from Thailand's mistakes. This means Thailand could lose its automotive core competency unless policymakers adapt to industry upgrades to meet global trends".

This is 2019 not 2011. Try and keep your comments up-to-date and your pitiful sarcasm relevant to the topic. In this instance it has been wasted. 

I reply to the pitiful sarcasm that quote. 

Sound like many member here WANT thailand to fail. And they angry because we winning. 

Indonesia and Vietnam are not close to Thailand. Indo have the big population, but we still win. 

Not be jealous please. 

Speak fact, not you imagine. 

I can answer you, help you know, get knowledge, but if you lazy to read, I lazy to answer you....

https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/2019/10/01/aseans-automobile-industry.html

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yinn i no understeen you....why you no speak english good before you come teach us?

I think to complicated for you understand it.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:06 AM, webfact said:

An increasing number of manufacturers are moving their production bases from China and Hong Kong to Thailand due to the US-China trade war, the Board of Investment (BOI) has said.

And the article was unable to mention the name of a single one of them.

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I always enjoy your comments...because you never do your homework...China is the number 1 air polluting country in the world...double the pollution of the number 2 country...

Google it...????

I dont doubt or deny it. What I said was that enforcement and counter measures on environmental issues are greater in China now than anywhere else in the world.

I would however be taking a very good look at India considering their cities rankings in the top ten polluted places in the world.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Sound like many member here WANT thailand to fail. And they angry because we winning. 

Indonesia and Vietnam are not close to Thailand. Indo have the big population, but we still win. 

Not be jealous please. 

I can answer you, help you know, get knowledge, but if you lazy to read, I lazy to answer you....

Thank you so much for that link but it seems I must remind you again the subject is about Industries moving from China to Thailand. Do you not understand that?  It is not about Thailand's existing car manufacturing. I know it might be difficult to focus but please try harder to keep on song. But I must respond to your link.

From that link you provided all I can assume is that you must have difficulty understanding written English. Did you not read the facts.

1. Thailand..... "just over 1 million units were sold domestically".

My comments. It seems that the domestic Thai automobile industry is kept buoyant by the destruction of it's own vehicles on the roads. With a diminishing population plus human road kill it might only be a few generations before there are no drivers left whose feet will touch the pedals. What will happen to the bus and Thai domestic vehicle production then?

2. "Vietnam is on course to be one of ASEAN’s fastest growing automobile industry over the next 20 years."

3. "Indonesia’s Low Cost Green Car has found economic success in the domestic market. The automobile consumer base is expected to grow rapidly, with most purchases occurring in Indonesia’s cities, mainly in Jakarta. Car sales grew by six percent by the end of 2018 – at just over 1.3 million units, with 346,000 exported to markets such as the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam".

I don't wish to sound disrespectful but this is an English language forum. Could I take the liberty of recommending this book which may be of help to you in improving your English language skills. 

beginner-s-english-250x250.jpg

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not be jealous please. 

Sorry but we don't want Thailand to fail.

thailand export going down,Thai tourism going down,baht going super star.unemployment and house debt super star.

cannot sell house for many years but in last 5 years I sell 2 house each under 30 minutes and make such good money I retire here in Thailand.if have skill in the uk you can find very good paid job in 1 day

everything imported cost 3-10 times original price..

lets not forget the curse of corruption throughout Thailand and you don't even have a proper government,schools or healthcare.

im sorry to tell you the truth Thailands future is not looking good.

oh I must stop now,we get electric come back for maybe an hour if lucky can take shower.chock Dee krup.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:38 AM, Cadbury said:

Might I suggest these are the scraps of Chinese manufacturers who have not already moved or been denied access to other preferred locations such as Vietnam and Malaysia.

Why else would they go to a country with higher wages, lower productivity, higher value currency. And one that uses imported and itinerant foreign workers and has complex and onerous visa laws for employers of such foreign workers.

Thailand is being used as last resort and is desperate to accept what's left of dodgy tinpot Chinese manufacturers. The best of the Chinese manufacturers have long gone elsewhere.

You need to clean(wash) your money somewhere... 

Archived