Survey finds two-thirds oppose military spending

webfact

Survey finds two-thirds oppose military spending

By The Nation

sp.jpg

FILE photo

Nearly two-thirds of citizens want the government to spend more on health and social security, according to a recent Super Poll survey.

Assistant Professor Noppadon Kannika, director of the Super Poll Research Centre, said 1,069 people were quizzed about the budget for fiscal 2020 currently before the House.

He said 65.9 per cent felt a greater share of the budget should be allocated to health, while 64.9 per cent believe more should go to education, 59.8 per cent to job provision and another 59.8 per cent to security in the quality of life.

Less support was expressed for spending on national security (54.8 per cent), transportation and road repairs (50.8 per cent) and small-medium business promotion (48.2 per cent).

Asked about their political leanings, 67.2 per cent of respondents said they were “in the middle”, feeling that both government and opposition are doing poor jobs.

Nearly 17 per cent support the government and 15.9 per cent support the opposition.

Noppadon called the poll results “interesting”, particularly the fact that support for the government was only 1 per cent higher than that of the opposition and the one-in-five objections to high spending on the military, police and other security agencies.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377583

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-21

And a couple percent probably said that more should be spent on mathematics education so the survey numbers added up close to 100%.  :cheesy:

"Nearly 17 per cent support the government and 15.9 per cent support the opposition. "

So about 2/3 don't support anyone.  That restores my faith in the common Thai people. 

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

So about 2/3 don't support anyone.  That restores my faith in the common Thai people. 

This explains the empty gaze of Thai people when I say something about politics.

I have read here that Thai people do not like to talk about politics with foreigners.

But now the truth comes out; They just have no clue.

If the military budget were cut, how does Thailand patrol the 4,800 kms land border with three of Asia's most notorious drug producing countries and the 2,700 kms coastline, leave it to the BiB perhaps? And as I recall it was less than ten years ago that mortar rounds fired from Myanmar were landing in the market at Mae Hong Son plus the Cambodian border dispute was only five years ago, I mean, this is not exactly Europe.

A country full of non civic minded, unimpassioned fence sitters.   What could possibly go right?  We all miss the Shinawatres now.  At least when they were around, the country did not feel quite so lethargic.

Maybe they should start by telling the military their children have better things to do than waste part of their lives in uniform. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Nearly two-thirds of citizens want the government to spend more on health and social security, according to a recent Super Poll survey.

You don't really understand what the general tries to explain to you every day, Thailand needs more weapons and ammunition!
There is no money available for you, 1st. THE MILITARIES, later you will see!

1 hour ago, saengd said:

If the military budget were cut, how does Thailand patrol the 4,800 kms land border with three of Asia's most notorious drug producing countries and the 2,700 kms coastline, leave it to the BiB perhaps? And as I recall it was less than ten years ago that mortar rounds fired from Myanmar were landing in the market at Mae Hong Son plus the Cambodian border dispute was only five years ago, I mean, this is not exactly Europe.

Do the military conscripts patrol those boarders?  How many of those in uniform actually patrol the border?  Those skirmishes you mentioned were just that.  How many men and how much money are open to debate.  The conscripts are not needed.  That is a good place to cut.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I can see it in the future: The Thai army tried to respond to the insurgents by firing back, but it was discovered the ammunition required had gone missing. A committee of twenty officers has been set up and will take six months to investigate.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Have you ever been to MHS?

You claim that mortars fired from Myanmar landed in the market at MHS.

Clearly you have no idea about the area, i have i used to live there, and the border is a hell of distance away, a lot further than mortar range.

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Do the military conscripts patrol those boarders?  How many of those in uniform actually patrol the border?  Those skirmishes you mentioned were just that.  How many men and how much money are open to debate.  The conscripts are not needed.  That is a good place to cut.

I don't know whether conscription is a good or bad thing, my sense is that it's a good thing but that's not really the issue here. The issue is budget and security...yes, conscripts do man posts at borders and check points on roads leading to borders, if you have ever traveled near the borders you would know this.

2 hours ago, dimitriv said:

This explains the empty gaze of Thai people when I say something about politics.

I have read here that Thai people do not like to talk about politics with foreigners.

But now the truth comes out; They just have no clue.

Actually they have far more clues then you. They dislike politics because no matter who they choose they are often crooks. That means on both sides. 

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you have no idea about the area, i have i used to live there, and the border is a hell of distance away, a lot further than mortar range.

Yes you are probably correct, the mortars (if indeed that's what they were) may not have been fired from Myanmar but they were certainly fired by factions from Myanmar who were fighting nearby.

EDIT: this may help clarify the extent of the problem historically in Mae Hong Son. https://www.acleddata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/documents/Myanmar.xls

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Asked about their political leanings, 67.2 per cent of respondents said they were “in the middle”, feeling that both government and opposition are doing poor jobs.

Change takes time when people can't see straight.

3 hours ago, saengd said:

I don't know whether conscription is a good or bad thing, my sense is that it's a good thing but that's not really the issue here. The issue is budget and security...yes, conscripts do man posts at borders and check points on roads leading to borders, if you have ever traveled near the borders you would know this.

30,000 conscripts cost the Thai tax payer money, so they are a budget issue.  Money that could be spent on roads and education is spent on these 30,000 men who would rather being doing something else with their time. 

Lived on the Malaysian side of the border for a while.  Rarely saw anything other than police and immigration.   Frequented other border areas too.  Have rarely seen anything other than police and immigration. 

Taiwan just stopped their mandatory armed service, and they are under threat by one of the largest military presences known.  So why is it a good thing ?   

52 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

30,000 conscripts cost the Thai tax payer money, so they are a budget issue.  Money that could be spent on roads and education is spent on these 30,000 men who would rather being doing something else with their time. 

Lived on the Malaysian side of the border for a while.  Rarely saw anything other than police and immigration.   Frequented other border areas too.  Have rarely seen anything other than police and immigration. 

Taiwan just stopped their mandatory armed service, and they are under threat by one of the largest military presences known.  So why is it a good thing ?   

Getting rid of conscripts doesn't mean the army would be reduced in size, they would simply fill the void with regular army recruits hence there's no budget savings really. Now, if you were to read that the army numbers overall were to be trimmed, axing conscripts might be a way to do that although conscripts tend to be cheaper than longer term regular army so perhaps no real savings to be had.

Not surprising that few Thai army soldiers are seen on the Malaysian side of the border, they usually tend to be on the opposite side! In the North of Thailand however they exist in spades.

Personal opinion is that many younger people can learn useful and often invaluable lessons from two years conscripted service, discipline etc., it's an approach that does work for many.

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

Getting rid of conscripts doesn't mean the army would be reduced in size, they would simply fill the void with regular army recruits hence there's no budget savings really. Now, if you were to read that the army numbers overall were to be trimmed, axing conscripts might be a way to do that although conscripts tend to be cheaper than longer term regular army so perhaps no real savings to be had.

Not surprising that few Thai army soldiers are seen on the Malaysian side of the border, they usually tend to be on the opposite side! In the North of Thailand however they exist in spades.

Personal opinion is that many younger people can learn useful and often invaluable lessons from two years conscripted service, discipline etc., it's an approach that does work for many.

Of course it would lessen the numbers of personnel if there was no mandatory service.   You think people would volunteer because there are fewer conscripts?  Somehow I and most on this forum would doubt that.

Been on both sides of the border and the boys in black, who guard the boarder, are somewhat of an elite force compared to the poor shmo's that drew the short straw.   Some generals may have to polish their own boots, wash their own cars, cook their own food, and do their own dishes, but the borders will remain safe. 

If they want those lessens, let them volunteer or allow the money to go to education.  Let the people decide one way or another, not the army. 

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

They learn how to be personal servants of the high ranking army officials. 

I would have hated to have been conscripted when I was younger. I’d have been more useless than useful. I’m against conscription as I wouldn’t have liked it. Saying anything in support of it would simply make me a hypocrite. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe Mai Sai?? I remember many years ago trying to do a visa run via Mai Sai across the border to Tachilek in Burma. I was turned back because there was conflict between the Shan State Army (not the Burmese National Army, I believe) and the Thai military which had artillery lined up in Mai Sai facing the border and armed helicopters flying above. However, I was given a special 2 week temporary visa extension and told to cross into Laos instead. Other Immigration Officers were hastily packing many files into a large "walk in" safe.

13 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Maybe Mai Sai?? I remember many years ago trying to do a visa run via Mai Sai across the border to Tachilek in Burma. I was turned back because there was conflict between the Shan State Army (not the Burmese National Army, I believe) and the Thai military which had artillery lined up in Mai Sai facing the border and armed helicopters flying above. However, I was given a special 2 week temporary visa extension and told to cross into Laos instead. Other Immigration Officers were hastily packing many files into a large "walk in" safe.

Your probably correct, but Saengd clearly said MHS market, which as i stated that would have been impossible.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Of course it would lessen the numbers of personnel if there was no mandatory service.   You think people would volunteer because there are fewer conscripts?  Somehow I and most on this forum would doubt that.

Been on both sides of the border and the boys in black, who guard the boarder, are somewhat of an elite force compared to the poor shmo's that drew the short straw.   Some generals may have to polish their own boots, wash their own cars, cook their own food, and do their own dishes, but the borders will remain safe. 

If they want those lessens, let them volunteer or allow the money to go to education.  Let the people decide one way or another, not the army. 

You speak for most on this forum do you? Really!

Armies in many countries attract new recruits by making the role seem more appealing, they increase pay, offer better career training etc, that's all they would do if conscription were to cease. The size of a country's army is not determined by how many soldiers it can recruit, the number of soldiers is based on what is perceived as need and optimal numbers and then measures are put in place to attract those numbers. So if conscription were to cease, the size of the army wouldn't suddenly shrink by a corresponding amount, it doesn't work that way.

As for borders: I suspect the Thai/Malaysian border is somewhat less wild west than the border with Myanmar.

You think conscripts are in place to do menial jobs for officers, I really don't think that's the basis of conscription. But no problems, we can agree to disagree on these things.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Your probably correct, but Saengd clearly said MHS market, which as i stated that would have been impossible.

We've already discussed this point, did you not read the incident spreadsheet I posted in the earlier post? it quite clearly states MHS although it doesn't specify the market specifically. And if you have lived there you must know of these events, I am 100% positive I can recall the news reports of explosions in the market place that went on for several days.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Armies in many countries attract new recruits by making the role seem more appealing, they increase pay, offer better career training etc, that's all they would do if conscription were to cease. The size of a country's army is not determined by how many soldiers it can recruit, the number of soldiers is based on what is perceived as need and optimal numbers and then measures are put in place to attract those numbers. So if conscription were to cease, the size of the army wouldn't suddenly shrink by a corresponding amount, it doesn't work that way.

As for borders: I suspect the Thai/Malaysian border is somewhat less wild west than the border with Myanmar.

You think conscripts are in place to do menial jobs for officers, I really don't think that's the basis of conscription. But no problems, we can agree to disagree on these things.

I could be wrong, but many on this forum have had sons conscripted and report that most of their jobs were menial. 

Why did Taiwan do away with conscription?  The have an almost imminent threat, yet they did away with conscription.  Perhaps it was because they were not getting what they were paying for.  Say 30k x one pound sterling x 365 = 109,500,000  We know the cost is higher than that and that is why it is not fair to have an army that takes tax payers money, yet is in no way answers to the public.  Wild borders not withstanding.  

You and I do not agree.

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Ask around, you will find many low ranking military guys (Army, Navy, A. Force, regular and conscripts) assigned permanently to one officer or one house and others on rotating rosters, full-day, half day, etc.

Some years back in our old Bkk condo there was a high level Navy guy and his Thai wife (2 people only), their huge condo was all of one side of the building on a high floor, 6 young navy guys lived-in permanently; to clean, cook, wait on the dining table, drive, wash several cars and more, plus the wife owned a travel company and 1 of the 6 worked all day on clerical duties at her office. 

She treated all of them like they were dogs. 

Archived