Prescription Glasses in Pattaya

outofafrica

I can't speak for Oz but I did far better in the UK at Specsavers. A far more comprehensive eye test, cheaper glasses, better choice and I am happy with them. Had done the rounds in Pattaya prior and not impressed. 

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I can't speak for Oz but I did far better in the UK at Specsavers. A far more comprehensive eye test, cheaper glasses, better choice and I am happy with them. Had done the rounds in Pattaya prior and not impressed. 

Thanks Mate

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Maria at Euro Optic has always been good for me. Get a prescrption from her, then Zenni online.

Zenni on line have a bad reputation in Australia.

"

The frames of the glasses from Zenni didn't sit symmetrically on the shadow shopper's face, so near vision was at an angle.

LENS QUALITY

We had all the lenses of the glasses our shadow shopper bought tested by the University of NSW Optics and Radiometry Laboratory, against the voluntary standard.

Zenni Optical

These glasses had a fault in the prescription - one axis, correcting astigmatism, was incorrect. (It may be possible to correct this if the fitting were adjusted, but again, you'd have to visit an optometrist.)"

You'd be better off in Indonesia. About US$165 a pair. With photocromatic. 

I find Thailand overly expensive for glasses. 

I tried to use my less than 1 year old prescription from Indonesia to get a mate to buy some for me. But with progressive they have to mark the centre of your eye onto the actual frames that you want while wearing the glasses

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Maria at Euro Optic has always been good for me. Get a prescrption from her, then Zenni online.

Last I checked she will not prescribe if you don't also buy from her. Number of places like that.

She does the best prescription in Pattaya, though.

30 minutes ago, outofafrica said:

Zenni on line have a bad reputation in Australia.

"

The frames of the glasses from Zenni didn't sit symmetrically on the shadow shopper's face, so near vision was at an angle.

LENS QUALITY

We had all the lenses of the glasses our shadow shopper bought tested by the University of NSW Optics and Radiometry Laboratory, against the voluntary standard.

Zenni Optical

These glasses had a fault in the prescription - one axis, correcting astigmatism, was incorrect. (It may be possible to correct this if the fitting were adjusted, but again, you'd have to visit an optometrist.)"

I must have been very lucky. The specs I got from Zenni, from a prescription by KT Optic were just as good, if not better than KT. 

KTs were Bht 22,000, Zenni Bht 1800!

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Last I checked she will not prescribe if you don't also buy from her. Number of places like that.

She does the best prescription in Pattaya, though.

Most hospitals have a vision department who will do you an eye test/prescription.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

the problem with zenni is you have to use their frames. thus, you are stuck with a cheap chinese frame on your face with comparable quality to a night market stall item in thailand.

9 minutes ago, fhickson said:

the problem with zenni is you have to use their frames. thus, you are stuck with a cheap chinese frame on your face with comparable quality to a night market stall item in thailand.

And where do you think frames sold in Thailand come from...? :wink:

You can in fact find many same frames, the only difference being that Zenni sell them $40 while local shops will sell them 3-4'000B...

Don't know about Aus but a UK eye test is vastly superior to anything you will find in Pattaya.

At my last UK eye test the optometrist noticed a small problem in one eye. I was referred to an eye clinic where I had about two hours of checks, measurements, photos inside the eye and a chat with a consultant. All ok in the end and no charge. You won't get that in Pattaya.

If you want to buy glasses here I've found Pattaya Optical to be reasonable. Previously had brand name frames from Euro Optic and strangely the coating came off after 6 months...

27 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

First Optic. Great English speaking professional service and great prices. No comparison in Pattaya. Oh, and btw, I'm from Australia since the OP asked that.

I used him once for 3 pairs, reading, computer and TV, but found his equipment pretty antiquated for getting the correct prescription. Frames were so-so as well, but he's cheap enough.

First Optic uses the "laser" ? measuring machine first then he will use the "antiquated equipment" with specifically calibrated lenses to mix and match a "perfect" prescription for you..it relies on your input you tell him if its better or worse..you can also get up and walk about wearing the "antiquated equipment" to check for short ,long distance vision problems ,reading etc while using that specific prescription...if something is not right he will try his utmost to get it right for you ..before the lenses are manufactured..obviously its too late after the lenses are made.

OutofAfrica, 

I can't tell you about getting your eyes examined but I can tell you mail order from either Zenni or Eyebuydirect is far cheaper than buying in Thailand.  I got titanium rims, with 1.61 progressive lenses, scratch coating, anti glare coating, and shipping for $96.00 USA to Thailand.  I have "read" that lenses manufactured  in Thailand do not have good quality control.  Zenni uses a Mitsubishi Resin product and a lab in China for its lenses.  Eye Buy direct also uses the same resin but uses Essilor in the USA for its lenses and they are more expensive but still far cheaper than Thailand. 

I was happy with the service and products from the mass market OWN DAYS chain,  Terminal 21 Mall. They also have a Marina Mall location.

Their prices are attractive for Thailand but nowhere as cheap as mail order to the U.S.

But you can use their prescription card to order more glasses if you want. They won't give you that card unless you've bought something though. 

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Most hospitals have a vision department who will do you an eye test/prescription.

They're good for ophthalmic exams, not so good for prescribing lenses, as I've personally verified (without naming names). Euro Optic did me a great prescription; Pattaya Optical and First Optic, very good ones. But YMMV. In BKK Rutnin has a dedicated "glasses and contact lens clinic" that can probably handle it. (Maybe staffed by opticians, I don't know.)

18 hours ago, johng said:

before the lenses are manufactured..obviously its too late after the lenses are made.

Maria at Euro Optic did me THREE pairs of Hoya lenses before they were correct. No idea how or where the process went wrong, but I got my specs OK. Sent the prescription to Zenni and got lenses just as good.

coincidentally,    normally cant be fussed looking around to much for the best deal  but today at the "Chill"  AKA as "Tops" on the darkside there is a new Optometrist operating a small kiosk and I could tell from years of wearing glasses that he knew his stuff.

Accordingly  had an eye test and ordered German lenses and a reasonable  bendy type frame, for Progressive lenses.

Total  cost 8000 Baht 

4 hours ago, n210mp said:

coincidentally,    normally cant be fussed looking around to much for the best deal  but today at the "Chill"  AKA as "Tops" on the darkside there is a new Optometrist operating a small kiosk and I could tell from years of wearing glasses that he knew his stuff.

Accordingly  had an eye test and ordered German lenses and a reasonable  bendy type frame, for Progressive lenses.

Total  cost 8000 Baht 

That's similar to Own Days price. 

Archived