EU will delay Brexit until February if Johnson fails to ratify deal this week - The Sunday Times

webfact

EU will delay Brexit until February if Johnson fails to ratify deal this week - The Sunday Times

2019-10-20T182625Z_2_LYNXMPEF9J0ME_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-PARLIAMENT.JPG

Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks ahead of a vote on his renegotiated Brexit deal, on what has been dubbed "Super Saturday", in the House of Commons in London, Britain October 19, 2019. ©UK Parliament/Jessica Taylor/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - The Sunday Times has reported that the European Union will delay Brexit until February 2020 if Prime Minister Boris Johnson is unable to get his deal past parliament this week.

The delay would be "fungible", meaning that Britain could leave earlier, on Nov. 1 or 15, December or January, if his deal is ratified before the extension ends, the newspaper said, citing diplomatic sources.

No decision will be taken until EU governments have the chance to assess the chances of the withdrawal treaty getting through parliament before Tuesday this week, the newspaper added.

EU diplomats and officials told Reuters on Sunday that, depending on the next developments in London, extension options range from just an additional month until the end of November to half a year or longer.

(Reporting by Aishwarya Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-21

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Boris will beat the remainers ,then they can all slink back into the woodwork.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Boris has not won a thing, i believe he lost all votes ever. 

They need a new referendum (binding this time) with more options to get out of this mess. But I bet the Brexiteers would not like that.

Don't care anymore, took the plunge and transferred money over, and have a steady pension income, so whichever way it goes I win/lose. I'm now looking at a 2 year window for them to sort this mess out. I must say, it's been an eye-opener to me, like, the way politics works.

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Long enough to hold a referendum and get this madness reversed.

The people will not be fooled this time.

No. Long enough to hold an election and let the people decide who they want in Parliament.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The EU have, of course, decided to just ignore Boris's juvenile letter writing. The adults in the room.

Copied and pasted direct from the surrender treaty written by none other than...

image.jpeg.0e4fd31f5bd71620df0b3b78c5f4af5c.jpeg

Thankfully there are only 10 days to go.

Any trade arrangements after that are unlikely to take longer than the three and a half years wasted to date despite some of the gloom-merchant predictions in this thread.

IMO full umbilical severance is the best possible outcome for UK no matter how painful the short term effect might be.

‘Scum’, ‘Cowards’?

What dont you get about it ! Cowards for not supporting a GE now because they only want to face electorate after Pushing another ref to reverse the one they didn’t like ! They have no desire to see a deal with EU and haven’t the guts to say so ! So that’s where “scum “ comes in !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Scum’, ‘Cowards’?

The vast majority of them were elected on manifestos to respect the result of the referendum. Now elected, they have reneged on that promise and are doing their best to overturn the result. Some are even secretly plotting with the EU to achieve this.

They know how unpopular this is therefore they are refusing a General Election and trying to reverse Brexit before the electorate can deselect them.

I hope that clarifies why some people are extremely angry.   

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The vast majority of them were elected on manifestos to respect the result of the referendum. Now elected, they have reneged on that promise and are doing their best to overturn the result. Some are even secretly plotting with the EU to achieve this.

They know how unpopular this is therefore they are refusing a General Election and trying to reverse Brexit before the electorate can deselect them.

QUOTE: Some are even secretly plotting with the EU to achieve this.

Thanks to secret agent Jonny F English who infiltrated the traitors, it is not a secret any longer.

Liked Rowan but disliked this movie.

4 hours ago, fishtank said:

Long enough to hold a referendum and get this madness reversed.

The people will not be fooled this time.

What's the point, if the result was the same as 2016, Gina Miller and her ilk will still not be happy and continue their childish games ruining the economy

13 minutes ago, baansgr said:

What's the point, if the result was the same as 2016, Gina Miller and her ilk will still not be happy and continue their childish games ruining the economy

I fully expect a future Govt after a landslide victory to conduct route and branch reforms in Parliament, Judiciary, Electoral Commission to restore our rights under the once respected 1688 bill of rights that has been steadily eroded since that grinning imbecile Bliar was PM.

53 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

No election “due in 2020 ! Get your fixed term parliament dates right before spouting

Thanks for the correction.

2022, ever more time for the electorate to understand who and what Johnson is.

And if Johnson some how gets his ‘No Deal Brexit’, even more time for the electorate to see the consequences of his attack on the British economy.

Copied and pasted direct from the surrender treaty written by none other than...
image.jpeg.0e4fd31f5bd71620df0b3b78c5f4af5c.jpeg

Thankfully there are only 10 days to go.
Any trade arrangements after that are unlikely to take longer than the three and a half years wasted to date despite some of the gloom-merchant predictions in this thread.

IMO full umbilical severance is the best possible outcome for UK no matter how painful the short term effect might be.
Jump off cliff now.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What dont you get about it ! Cowards for not supporting a GE now because they only want to face electorate after Pushing another ref to reverse the one they didn’t like ! They have no desire to see a deal with EU and haven’t the guts to say so ! So that’s where “scum “ comes in !

Unhappy Hard Brexiteer.

Oh hello! Its the no-deal baloney again!

Archived