Non Imm O vs Non Imm O-A

A friend has just returned from Jomtien Immigration where he asked the question re insurance for extensions of stay.  The IO he spoke to said, categorically, that nothing has changed and that health insurance is not required for extensions of stay based on any Non Immigrant visa, so this confirms UbonJoe's reading of the situation.

Thank goodness for that, for now at least. 

• Like 2

I agree that Joe deserves great deference, but the more I look at this the more I am convinced those who originally entered on an O-A will be required to have health insurance when they request an extension.  For example, there is a memorandum dated October 4, 2019 that recites that the cabinet’s order of 2 June 2019 establishing the health insurance requirement applies to those with O-A visas “during the entire duration of their stay in the kingdom.”  Looking at the official documents I have, I don’t see anything that would indicate that the requirement does not apply when you request an extension. 

• Like 1

But police order 548/2562 repeals Article 2.22 of police order 327/2557 and substitutes a new one.  The new one, to me, says A-Os are subject to the health insurance requirement upon extension.   Maybe I am misunderstanding what you’re saying?

Here is how I read police order 548/2562’s attachment (new Article 2.22).

1.  The heading says it deals with extensions.  There is no indication it addresses original entries.

2.  The left hand column gives the general rule for an extension, one year, and an exception for O-As whose health insurance expires before one year.

3.  The right hand column supplies the requirements for an extension.  Paragraph six indicates if you came in on an O-A, one of the requirements for an extension is health insurance. 

On 10/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, sletraveler said:

Yes that is the general consensus. I have an O retirement visa also.  Seems it’s a technical difference being issued in Thailand vs getting the OA while residing in your home country.   Since it isn’t logical to specify insurance for OA visa and not the nearly identical O many believe it’s just a matter of time before the law applies to both.  But not yet!

This has become news now, which I am not sure is a good thing:
https://www.thephuketnews.com/mandatory-health-insurance-for-retirees-falls-flat-as-non-imm-o-visa-loophole-exposed-73376.php#VGFeXdgdBa1gRP5T.97

I read these thread and in the end I am even more confused.

I thought a Non-Imm O is for people married to a Thai and does not require  health insurance 

and a Non-IMM OA is for people that want to retire in Thailand but are not married to a Thai national, 

Am I right?

Can someone please provide a clear explanation on what these two visas are for.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I read these thread and in the end I am even more confused.

I thought a Non-Imm O is for people married to a Thai and does not require  health insurance 

and a Non-IMM OA is for people that want to retire in Thailand but are not married to a Thai national, 

Am I right?

Can someone please provide a clear explanation on what these two visas are for.

Starting with an O-A is only an option for retirement status here.

You can also start with an O, not O-A.

I started with a single entry O that I got in the U.S. but these days I don't think that's possible to get if you say it's for retirement.

But you can get a single entry O at neighboring country embassies and also WITHIN Thailand (90 day visa in that case you don't use the entry) as a change of status from tourist visa or 30 days as part of a two step process where the second step is annual extension of stay based on retirement. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Starting with an O-A is only an option for retirement status here.

You can also start with an O, not O-A.

I started with a single entry O that I got in the U.S. but these days I don't think that's possible to get if you say it's for retirement.

But you can get a single entry O at neighboring country embassies and also WITHIN Thailand (90 day visa in that case you don't use the entry) as a change of status from tourist visa or 30 days as part of a two step process where the second step is annual extension of stay based on retirement. 

Thank you for that

How is an A-O different than a -0 visa ?

I read at the Royal Thai consulate website that " This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working."since not working I assume retirement.

Yet in the description for an -0 visa (other) it lists all the other reasons one could qualify for an -O visa and one of them is "4) to stay in Thailand after retirement for the elderly "

So what is the difference between the two, and why would someone get an A-O and be required medical insurance and not get a -O visa that doesn't require health insurance.

I have being coming to Thailand for over thirteen years now Me and my Thai wife own a house there

, Never bothered to get a visa (coming visa exempt) because never stayed very long. due to job requirement, I am now about to retire (almost 63 years old) and will be spending considerably more time in Thailand with an option to move there permanently. If we decide to stay here permanently or for more than a year I will need to do an extension to stay based on marriage. For that I guess I need a -0 visa that does not require medical insurance. Am I correct? 

I am concerned about the medical insurance requirement for two reasons, One is that because of pre-existing conditions it would be useless to me, and  Two is that since it is virtually impossible to get medical insurance after a certain age it would seem that after a certain age I would need to leave Thailand, and would need to take this into consideration in making any long term plans.

My options at this time are:

-Stay in the US and only visit Thailand for Vacations

-Retire in Greece where I have the option of dual citizenship , No visa requirements if dual citizenship is activated and universal medical insurance, but wife is Thai and would rather be in Thailand.

-Retire in Thailand where I love it ,and wife would be close to family, but I need to resolve the above concerns.

If you have made it to this point. Thank you for taking the time to read this convoluted thought process post LOL. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, Timofe said:

I agree that Joe deserves great deference, but the more I look at this the more I am convinced those who originally entered on an O-A will be required to have health insurance when they request an extension.  For example, there is a memorandum dated October 4, 2019 that recites that the cabinet’s order of 2 June 2019 establishing the health insurance requirement applies to those with O-A visas “during the entire duration of their stay in the kingdom.”  Looking at the official documents I have, I don’t see anything that would indicate that the requirement does not apply when you request an extension. 

I can sense this too, especially in light of the fact that most consulate have stopped issuing Non-Os for retirement. So the "loophole" will be probably be limited to people with families.

FIY The wife just called Immigration Mukdahan and they confirmed that my original non-o from 10 years ago and the extensions based on that are not subjected to the mandatory health insurance.

We have recorded that conversation just in case.

Now I’m going to finalize the paperwork for an insurance on my own terms because after all insurance is a good thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nongsung said:

FIY The wife just called Immigration Mukdahan and they confirmed that my original non-o from 10 years ago and the extensions based on that are not subjected to the mandatory health insurance.

We have recorded that conversation just in case.

Now I’m going to finalize the paperwork for an insurance on my own terms because after all insurance is a good thing.

Did they confirm the contrary ?? That an OA extension incountry will require it ?? 

If so we can add it to the ever increasing list of immigration offices that disagree with the official TV policy line that this does not apply to extensions of stay. 

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that

How is an A-O different than a -0 visa ?

I read at the Royal Thai consulate website that " This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working."since not working I assume retirement.

Yet in the description for an -0 visa (other) it lists all the other reasons one could qualify for an -O visa and one of them is "4) to stay in Thailand after retirement for the elderly "

So what is the difference between the two, and why would someone get an A-O and be required medical insurance and not get a -O visa that doesn't require health insurance.

The O-A is valid for entry for 1 year.

Each entry grants permission of stay for 1 year.

Health certificate and criminal record check required.

Can stay for almost 2 years.

Proof of funds to obtain the Visa can be in your home bank.

No requirement for a Thai bank account.

Can submit 90 day reports at local IO's.

Every Embassy offers the O-A Visa.

Often used by retirees over 50 who frequently visit home to obtain a new Visa

Non O Visa valid for entry for 90 days.

Each entry grants permission of stay for 90 days.

The single entry is only available at selected Embassies/Consulates for the purpose of retirement.

The multi entry is only available at selected Embassies/Consulates for the purpose of Thai wife/family, not for retirement purposes.

Must cross a border to receive another 90 days entry.

Can stay for almost 15 months.

Annual extensions are available if you want to stay longer but proof of funds in a Thai bank is required.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, JimGant said:

Then why would one extension require insurance and the other not require insurance? Sounds like by restricting the insurance requirement to an OA, for now, is just a way to ease into full implementation.

Just like putting the lobster in a warm pot of water... :coffee1: