"Lying" taxi driver's 78th airport offence - but the fine is only 200 baht!

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a joke, 78 times he is only fined 200 baht, so he will just carry on, doing just as he pleases, he will make the 200 baht back on his first passenger.

Wake up you silly sods, fine him 10.000 baht, ban him, problem solved.

78 is probably just the ones that were reported! Look around for the guy with 100 Baht hanging out of his pocket!????????????

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He was a habitual transgresser who always touted for passengers on the 4th floor rather than joining the proper queue downstairs at the terminal. 

He said this was the man's 78th similar offence.

So do something a little more permanent of except the taxi system is flawed !

I only use the fourth floor for taxis. Lines are not my thing. I cannot blame his for doing what he is doing. The local police franchisees are to blame, for not enforcing a deterrent system. A weak system, and a weak government deserves defiance at every level.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He was a habitual transgresser who always touted for passengers on the 4th floor rather than joining the proper queue downstairs at the terminal. 

I've had quite a few very good taxis from 4th floor (departure level) with no wait. It definitely beats waiting in line. Am I part of the problem in this case?

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a joke, 78 times he is only fined 200 baht, so he will just carry on, doing just as he pleases, he will make the 200 baht back on his first passenger.

The fines should be progressively higher for each offense. After so many offenses ban him from the airport for a year and if he returns during the year arrest him.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Better fine foreigners 5000b for vaping ...

The reason this is enforced is to make sure the airport get their 50 soon to be increased baht tax for providing nothing. 

Taxi drivers try to avoid it and the inevitable time is money queue by dropping off and picking up on the 4th floor which harms no one except the airport tax collectors.

If anyone at a mall tried to charge a tax for picking up passengers there would be an outrage. Why is it ok at the airport?

I used to take the taxis on the 4th floor too, many years back. Is it worth it. I doubt. It's more a thing that I can deal with them, than anything else. The probability that you get a foul apple there, I would say is 10:1.

As a first timer who can't speak the lingo, don't know the surroundings, you'll be screwed 1000%.

I could deal with it, but is it worth it? I think NO. I think they have the Buses running again, or use the Skytrain.

3 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

No surprise ! Taxi scum are never dealt with harshly

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Scum??  He just picked up passengers from the drop off point, he didn't murder anyone.  And considering getting taxis there is advocated by so many on this forum then we can hardly blame the taxi driver for accepting them.

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

brainy business man, i use to love that fourth floor, for those in the know, no (50 baht fine)? hundreds jostling to get a taxi,  taxi pulls in, to do a DROP OFF,  i would jump in, always a good cheap deal back into Bangkok. the taxi driver gets a fare, no queuing for him for ages or going back to base with an empty taxi. they are only <deleted> off about losing the 50 baht ransome.

Who's <deleted> off about losing the "ransom"? (A ridiculous thing to call it).  

The taxi queues these days are really well organised and there is hardly ever a wait.  And the 50 baht fee is a reasonable surcharge to compensate for the wait time and ensure there is a plentiful supply of taxis.  Have you ever seen how long the taxi queue is?  (The queue of taxis waiting to get in to the official pickup zone)  It goes back miles.  I think they can be in there for an hour or more, easily.  Imagine waiting for an hour or so to pick up a passenger and he is a 150 baht ride - it wouldn't be worth their while; so the 50 baht surcharge is fair.  And it goes to the driver, not the AOT so it is hardly a "ransom".

But hey if you can't afford it or are such an unbelievable tight <deleted> to think it is a ransom then you can always get the bus.

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

And he should lose his taxi license. 

9 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

I NEVER use these criminals anymore and use GRAB, much better and such polite and nice folks - Thai taxi drivers are just to bad and are criminals just like in Malaya and Singapore - where I use UBER .....Don't use these criminals

There was no criminal offence.  He picked up passengers in the drop off zone.  He is not a criminal.

Been using taxis here for 24 years.  The odd bad apple for sure, but mostly decent people.  And Singapore taxis are also criminal??  Singapore taxis are probably the most heavily regulated and honest in this region.

What planet are you from?

27 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

There was no criminal offence.  He picked up passengers in the drop off zone.  He is not a criminal.

Been using taxis here for 24 years.  The odd bad apple for sure, but mostly decent people.  And Singapore taxis are also criminal??  Singapore taxis are probably the most heavily regulated and honest in this region.

What planet are you from?

Planet am I from?  Planet done it! my dear.... In fact the best Taxi's in Asia are in Indonesia .... blue bird... I live in Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Denmark, USA and Scotland - so take a quiet step back Granddad into the dark and quietly go away back to your village and wither !!! 

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people don't understand how taxi drivers think and earn their income.

I drove taxis part-time in Canberra for 20 years so I have some insight. I occasionally picked up on drop-off but only if a briefcase jumped in without luggage.

But time between jobs is the biggest killer for a cab driver. 3 jobs an hour is great but one every 3 hours - unless it's B10,000 or $500 - and you might as well have stayed home. That's the primary incentive for the drivers. Quick jobs.

Yes the drivers lurking illegally in the drop-off area are an attractive solution for many to avoid the queues and "save" 50 baht or $2 at most airports in Australia.

Why do the airports enforce?

Congestion - if they allowed everyone to pickup without hindrance, drop-off would be impossible with 1,000+ taxis touting

Security - an ideal location to bring a bomb without monitoring and kill a few hundred - think about it - close proximity to all the farangs and police etc. etc.

Sure the repeat offender could be fined more but in Australia he would have his taxi driver's license cancelled with 5+ offences - not 78 - for "bringing the industry in disrepute". Obviously they don't do that in Thailand but should.

Another fact would be the driver prepared to run the gauntlet of Airport Police with siren blaring is much more likely to rip you off as he flouts the laws.

Saw this scenario myself on Thursday last when I flew out of BKK for the 10th time in a year - it took a couple of minutes for one driver to decide he had no hope with a siren and flashing lights behind him. Yes spidermike and tominnbangkok you are part of the problem. If they get no fares they won't hang around

These drivers are usually aggressive and anti-social so if you've had good experiences with these flouters you have been lucky!

The taxis queues on level 1 at BKK are almost always negligible unlike Australian Airports. They even have a short fare queue so if you are heading to Lat Krabang for a late night arrival - highly recommended - don't go to the main queue but to the desk back on the wall and there will be no wait.

But I almost always hire a car now - recommend Hertz/Thrifty over all the others I have tried.

I travel north to the Phitsanulock/Khao Kho/Phetchabun region where public transport is very limited.

So I miss the taxi queues altogether. I should add my Thai fiancee helps enormously with not being ripped off - but only if you know where you are going!

Archived