Savannakhet Making The Rules Up As They Go

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure being married ever reduced any of my costs.

More like increased my spending 4x.

Well I mean the lesser income and bank balance requirements, and requirement to leave the balance money untouched. I would spend more without a Mrs keeping me in check. 

2 hours ago, lkv said:

In short, they don't really care much.

No- they don't but they care about tourism and  a great deal of bad publicity regarding separateing families by refusing a Visa would make them think ....

However, I doubt very much that the whole Marriage  Visa issue is going to become an issue.  Moste Governments provide ways for families to stay together.

I do believe, that many decisions made by Immigration to deny  entry could be challenged in the Administrative Court but this would cost lots of money.

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

No- they don't but they care about tourism and  a great deal of bad publicity regarding separateing families by refusing a Visa would make them think ....

I'm sure the Vietnamese government (for example), has committed plenty of human rights violations, have you seen that affecting tourism lately?

Reality is, tourists don't look as deep into these sort of matters. They care about the beach being clean, and not dying on a boat sinking, etc.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Under 50 lived here since 2001. Home here, wife, dogs, many vehicles, etc

Now running a business outside of the kingdom and travel monthly or so. 

Can't get a multiple entry in the country of my passport, can't extend, etc etc. 

Sure there's always ways, but it's slightly rediculous how difficult it has become for a legit, newly 2 decade resident, well off married man, to continue to visit his home.

When you fly here could you not stop at one of the cities that issue non-o's? 

That is pretty drastic I will admit. I do not understand why they stopped the flow of non o in UK. I wonder if it is possible they simply felt too many were being issued at that location. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, lkv said:

I'm sure the Vietnamese government (for example), has committed plenty of human rights violations, have you seen that affecting tourism lately?

Reality is, tourists don't look as deep into these sort of matters. They care about the beach being clean, and not dying on a boat sinking, etc.

NO, most people don't care but if the news picked up  pictures of foreigners being denied entry to Thailand to visit wives andd children- having their passports thrown back at them and told you come to Thailand too often  there may be  an affect on  tourism.

I also believe that tourism in Thailand has been affected by reports on social media of  people trying to enter Thailand whether on VE or Tourist Visa entry and being spoken to in a loud voice; thrown in the Aiport detention center; had their passports flung at them; the officials using spurious reasons to deny entry (no money- when the person has money;   not being allowed to use an aTM)..   This type of behavior towards tourists creates a negative picture of Thailand and spreads like wild across the media platforms.

Throw in dirty beaches and water; polluted air; overpricing and dual pricing; road deaths; thievery and poor exchange rates and Vietnam starts looking good to the general public.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, illiterate said:

I do not understand why they stopped the flow of non o in UK. I wonder if it is possible they simply felt too many were being issued at that location. 

It is due to the e visa website being set up based upon the Beijing embassies policy for issuing visas. They do not issue multiple entry visas so that is what the other 2 embassies using the site had to follow.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is due to the e visa website being set up based upon the Beijing embassies policy for issuing visas. They do not issue multiple entry visas so that is what the other 2 embassies using the site had to follow.

Which sounds crazy, no consideration for peoples lives...????

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless you are married, it takes a minimum of five years in Thailand to qualify for permanent residency.

and even you married it takes you with very very good luck 5yr (++more), your chance to get decvorce before y have your permanant residency is higher

if you stay on extension for 5 years ++, your able to aplly.

if you leave the country once (more than 90 day) or you have a month beetween extension..all count new

start again 5yr

after 5 yr  , your real hassle begann,....

i stayed on investment visa until 2004,moree than 10 year , until rule changed ( even it was grandfatherd, could etend when apply with new rule..new investment visas was add up from 3mb to 10mb baht in 2004)

sincs 2004 , only make non o multis , fed up running to immi , even now i care a <deleted> reporting tm30 ..since 4 weeks here i must theoreticly report 5 time bcs stayed 1 night in my condo one week in my other condo.

even i care  ll a <deleted> because end of february byebye thailand ( except for bum..ing holiday ad drinking and fun for 2 month a year)

enough after 30 years

Edited by lapamita

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless you are married, it takes a minimum of five years in Thailand to qualify for permanent residency. Until then, even if you use extensions of your permission to stay, you are still on non immigrant entries which you seem to believe should only be used for short visits.

The five years is for a Thai citizenship application on permanent residency if not married to a Thai. Married to a Thai you must be on extensions of stay, working and paying taxes with a work permit for 3 years.

For permanent residency you must be on extensions of stay for 3 continuous years and be working with a work permit and and paying taxes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The five years is for a Thai citizenship application on permanent residency if not married to a Thai. Married to a Thai you must be on extensions of stay, working and paying taxes with a work permit for 3 years.

For permanent residency you must be on extensions of stay for 3 continuous years and be working with a work permit and and paying taxes.

before it was 5 ..and do not leave the country during  the time or even a work premit is cut for 1 day due to papers..all counts new

<deleted> on their residency... and double who  wants a thai passport  who in the hell ??? for what ( and even good luck aplying for it..)

5 minutes ago, lapamita said:

before it was 5 ..and do not leave the country during  the time or even a work premit is cut for 1 day due to papers..all counts new

For permanent residency or citizenship there has never been a requirement to never leave the country for 5 years.

They are a little flexible on being maintaining the work permit more than one day is certainly acceptable. I think you have gotten a lot of false info from somebody.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

For permanent residency or citizenship there has never been a requirement to never leave the country for 5 years.

They are a little flexible on being maintaining the work permit more than one day is certainly acceptable. I think you have gotten a lot of false info from somebody.

i dont think so ..in 30 year here

i not say never leave .. i sayed more than 90 day..and second ..if once y have change visa and have a gap beetween its up to the discretion of the officer

what ever you right ok, everything best here

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, lapamita said:

you know anybody have a permanent residency ???

i wonder ALL i know, have an extension of stay based on the visa ...and reason extension of stay.. wife, pension and so on.

its always an extension..even you stay on 1 year extension based on marrriage or pension or working

you know what mean a permanat residency ??? ( its not a one year staybased on...and limited,and as well a permanant residency cant be revoked easy, as a one year extension of stay ...)

here in thai i dont know one person who have a "permanant residency "..but i know many in other countrys,who offer permanant residency

Farlang / Aliens ,  have permanent residency in ThaIland , really ..

However , there are those amongst us , who call Thailand their home.

Living the dream ? ...

Edited by elliss

On 10/21/2019 at 11:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

A wasted trip to the consulate it seems. You could of just done a border run before your visa expired and got another 90 day entry or applied for a 60 day day extension to visit your wife to get more time to apply for the one year extension.

They have been wanting to see the original marriage certificate for years now. Many reports about that.

It wasn't a waisted trip as I had other reasons for going to Lao. It was actually killing 2 birds with one stone.

I was well aware of the 90 + 60 day extension as I discussed it with you about a week ago.

The reason for my post is and according to the Tuk Tuk drivers and local shop employees across the street...  IS:

Consulate employees have complained about the increase in individual traffic and the agents soliciting infront  of the consulate.

They are now scrutinizing every peace of paper. Case in point, my wife's 2 signatures did match. My wife was standing next to me and rather asking her to sign again, he pushed the papers back at me.

I also witnessed them asking 2 people for financial proof and I was never asked for my original marriage certificate a year ago.

As I said in my OP.. Be prepared.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:30 PM, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

2 things...

As Joe says why not just do a border run and get another 90 days if you still have 3 weeks left?

2) They have always asked for original cert, so not making it up as you state..

Really.. see my post above. t's about time some of you actually read the post as I'm well aware what I have could have done.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:34 PM, JeffersLos said:

It doesn't sound like he was making up the rules at all.

You wanted to get a visa based on marriage, and couldn't present a marriage certificate??? ????

And complain about not being given one?

You already have a visa that allows you to enter the country for another 3 weeks, and will get 90 days POTS when arriving!!

*shakes head*

I had a Kor Ror 2. Which proves marriage. Having a Visa to re-enter is not the issue.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, Pib said:

Jeffrey346,

Is the requirement the wife "must" be with the applicant? 

Or the applicant just needs to ensure (hope) he got all the necessary docs signed properly by the wife who stayed behind in Thailand?

Pending your answer I'm going to assume the wife is not required and would only be needed to resolve/re-sign something that gets challenged by the consulate.

Good question Pib. More members should be posting like you rather than telling me what I coulda shoulda done.

As far as I know they do not have to be there. There were many there for marriage visa's without their wives. I watched many get processed with no issue and one rejected for a signature issue.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, BritManToo said:

They're going up because VISA run companies in Bangkok are trucking all the illegal workers over for tourist VISAs. 

There's hardly anyone looking to get non-os in the crowd.

You are correct. There were at least 5 mini vans packed with thos seeking visa's.

The agents were herding them like cattle.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Seriously, can you not grasp it for yourself? They are MULTI-ENTRY visas so therefore for people who plan that come in and out through the year, they are NOT for people to plot here for the entire year and only leave the country as they are forced to..the visas for people who wish to live here all year are the extensions of stay. Don't come back at me and ask me anything again on this as that's your lot.

Oh please, get a life. So many get MULTI ENTRY and leave every 90 days to avoid any financial questions they may be asked at a 90 day report.

• Thanks 2

On 10/21/2019 at 5:09 PM, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Call it what you choose, but multi entry visas are not designed for people staying here permanently. End of chat.

If you choose "end of chat" then stop replying.

BTW, My name is Jeff, I live in Khon Kaen.. I hope people don't confuse me for you. 

• Thanks 1

The paperwork to be submitted are always the same. I have never had problems at Savannakhet. This thread seems to be a useless outburst, based on your own carelessness.

I arrived yesterday and we were about twenty in a row, I arrived 15 minutes from the opening and I was the eleventh.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, zhounan said:

The paperwork to be submitted are always the same. I have never had problems at Savannakhet. This thread seems to be a useless outburst, based on your own carelessness.

I arrived yesterday and we were about twenty in a row, I arrived 15 minutes from the opening and I was the eleventh.

What carelessness??? Where does it say that an original marriage cert is required. What if it was lost?

That is why they issue Kor Ror 2. To prove you are married.