Xmas in LOS?

13 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I have 2 questions From Vientiane airport to get to Nong khai?  Would a taxi take me past land border?

Then continue on to Udon Thani airport?

No. You would go to Nong khai then after cross bridge obtain transport to udon city central plaza or direct to udon airport. 

OP you may wish to look at current thread. Something like "successful METV story". The guy entered via air chaing Mai airport. The replies have good info. 

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. You would go to Nong khai then after cross bridge obtain transport to udon city central plaza or direct to udon airport. 

OP you may wish to look at current thread. Something like "successful METV story". The guy entered via air chaing Mai airport. The replies have good info. 

Many thanks for this.  This option i will look at.  Though for any transit flights, does anyone suggest stopping off at bangkok?

2 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Many thanks for this.  This option i will look at.  Though for any transit flights, does anyone suggest stopping off at bangkok?

What's with your ongoing posts OP. Stopping off in bkk would involve clear imm. Which many have stated very problematic given your history. Just STOP. Read all the good advice from many. 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What's with your ongoing posts OP. Stopping off in bkk would involve clear imm. Which many have stated very problematic given your history. Just STOP. Read all the good advice from many. 

For a transit flight need to go through immigration?

4 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

I have 2 questions From Vientiane airport to get to Nong khai?  Would a taxi take me past land border?

Then continue on to Udon Thani airport?

Looking at flights to Vietniane seems most changed at BKK, Is that an viable option?

It is difficult (and expensive) to find taxis that are allowed to take you across the Friendship Bridge and on to Udon Thani airport. Normal is to take a taxi to the Friendship Bridge, stamp out of Laos, get a ferry bus across the bridge, stamp into Thailand, and then get transport to the airport (taxi being one option, but also direct minibuses).

If you are transiting through Bangkok, without passing immigration, that should be quite OK. Just be careful that you are not arriving at Svarnabhumi and exiting via Don Muang.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is difficult (and expensive) to find taxis that are allowed to take you across the Friendship Bridge and on to Udon Thani airport. Normal is to take a taxi to the Friendship Bridge, stamp out of Laos, get a ferry bus across the bridge, stamp into Thailand, and then get transport to the airport (taxi being one option, but also direct minibuses).

If you are transiting through Bangkok, without passing immigration, that should be quite OK. Just be careful that you are not arriving at Svarnabhumi and exiting via Don Muang.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Think the route i will go is UK to Singpoare then from there to Chiang mai and straight to bkk.

Iam assuming for Chiang Mai to bkk, i would need to exit and collect luggage and then recheck in again?

The route to Chiang Mai is best with SETV?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Think the route i will go is UK to Singpoare then from there to Chiang mai and straight to bkk.

Iam assuming for Chiang Mai to bkk, i would need to exit and collect luggage and then recheck in again?

Your plan is reasonable. Yes, best to have a tourist visa. Historically, Chiang Mai does not invent extra rules for denied entry for those with visas. On rare occasions, Chiang Mai airport immigration might deny visa exempt entry, but you should be safe with a visa.

Obviously, in spite of previous experience, practice can change at any Thai entry point at any time. However, in the event of denied entry (very unlikely) you would presumably be returned to Singapore where you could review your options.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your plan is reasonable. Yes, best to have a tourist visa. Historically, Chiang Mai does not invent extra rules for denied entry for those with visas. On rare occasions, Chiang Mai airport immigration might deny visa exempt entry, but you should be safe with a visa.

Obviously, in spite of previous experience, practice can change at any Thai entry point at any time. However, in the event of denied entry (very unlikely) you would presumably be returned to Singapore where you could review your options.

True however if op had flown to KL (think you may even have suggested that). Then fly los, if for some reason denied entry and back to KL, can do border crossing from KL. 

Singapore not so simple?

12 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Dont travel with checked in Luggage. If you are in Thailand just for the xmas period you only need a couple of changes if clothes, use laundry service and buy what you need if required. Keep it simple.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:43 PM, DrJack54 said:

True however if op had flown to KL (think you may even have suggested that). Then fly los, if for some reason denied entry and back to KL, can do border crossing from KL. 

Singapore not so simple?

Stupid question, if wanting to go Chiang Mai from KL.  Would it be best to exit immigration at KL and then check in again or i can use a transit a flight?  Question is that where would immigration send me if i get rejected at Thailand

20 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Stupid question, if wanting to go Chiang Mai from KL.  Would it be best to exit immigration at KL and then check in again or i can use a transit a flight?  Question is that where would immigration send me if i get rejected at Thailand

If you fly direct KL to CNX and for some reason denied entry you would fly back to KL. No option.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, pantsonfire said:

What is everyone opinion on what is easier to enter based on my history

CNX or Vientiane

Also, if going to either places using SETV do i fill in the place to stay as Bangkok or those destinations?

Decided will use land border crossing. This is my flight details (below, confirmed no need to exit immigration).  Chances of getting rejected at border crossing using VE?  Dont fancy going all the way back

image.png.864899fa21bb2f403e3243d2fedce941.png

6 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Decided will use land border crossing. This is my flight details (below, confirmed no need to exit immigration).  Chances of getting rejected at border crossing using VE?  Dont fancy going all the way back

image.png.864899fa21bb2f403e3243d2fedce941.png

I wonder what would happen if you try pass immigration at BKK and get rejected and just continue to VTE?

You have a boarding pass to fly on. What would be their excuse to hold you? If you are not let in to VTE the same airline will be responsible to fly you back to LHR from VTE.

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

I wonder what would happen if you try pass immigration at BKK and get rejected and just continue to VTE?

You have a boarding pass to fly on. What would be their excuse to hold you? If you are not let in to VTE the same airline will be responsible to fly you back to LHR from VTE.

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

If denied entry at immigration by passport control you be flown back to where you embarked. At your cost.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, pantsonfire said:

Are you going to collect your luggage at SGN, and go out the airport for a short while, Then you will have establish you boarding point to CNX.

I think you will have have to collect your luggage at CNX. (you could also check out a sleeper train, if they are not fully booked, not been on one for a while though)

I regret, and express disappointment however, that because there has been reported actions by a minority ???? noted, that then those actions have detracted confidence in using BKK. ???? 

Edited by UKresonant

4 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

For entering Laos i need a ticket to return.  What ticket could that be if iam going through border?

That must be a new requirement. Over the last 30 years, I must have entered Laos at least 20 times (usually by land, but sometimes by air) and have never been asked for onward flight reservations. Where did you read of this new requirement?

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That must be a new requirement. Over the last 30 years, I must have entered Laos at least 20 times (usually by land, but sometimes by air) and have never been asked for onward flight reservations. Where did you read of this new requirement?

It was when i was speaking to an agent on STA Travel.  They asked is this a one way ticket?  I specified yes.  As i was planning to get a return ticket separately from bangkok.  Would an air ticket from Udon Thani be applicable in this sense?

Edited by pantsonfire

33 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

It was when i was speaking to an agent on STA Travel.  They asked is this a one way ticket?  I specified yes.  As i was planning to get a return ticket separately from bangkok.  Would an air ticket from Udon Thani be applicable in this sense?

I am suspicious that this may be a travel agent trying to drum up business.

I found this from a few years ago: https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/29918_proof-of-onward-journey. This was at a time when I was visiting Laos regularly without any complications.

If the requirement is real, I have no idea what would be acceptable (perhaps, a ticket for the international bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani?)

Has anyone done this flight to Laos to do land border crossing?  I feel this is the best route and confirmed by several travel agents i dont need to go through immigration at BKK.  I cant find any good flights from Uk to go to Laos (not sure i trust Malaysian Airlines)

image.png.6a80325b24c33d1558c8d1e8876f5fa9.png