IELTS A1 Life Skills for UK Visa

I have seen lots of Youtube videos discussing the IELTS A1 Life Skills test for immigration requirements and the English schools in Bangkok do teach IELTS academic to level 7 which is far over and above of the grade 4 listening and speaking that I understand is required for immigration to the UK.

Does anyone know of a definitive guide or teaching about the test and all what could potentially be covered so I can ensure that my wife has a good understanding of the different subjects before applying. (i.e. is there a definitive list of potential subject matter that can be asked about etc). I suppose my wife is looking for a few days coaching to see if she is ready to apply for the test OR alternatively a definitive 'script' that she can practice for.

A1 is very basic.  First she will get some questions about things like her family, her home/house, what she does at the weekend/in the morning/evening.  All she needs to do is answer each question with more than one word.  Then she will need to prepare some questions for her partner on a topic she is given (e.g. music, food, clothes, weather).  She can write down her questions in Thai or English if she wants to.  She should try to think of as many questions to ask as she can, as she has 2 minutes to ask them.  It's good tip to tell her to follow up her questions with expressions like "Why is that?", "Really? I like that too".  Don't worry if her partner is either monosyllabic or fluent - just focus on asking as many questions as possible.

Then she listens to two audio recordings and has to answer one "gist" question (What are they talking about - multiple choice) and two questions where she has to listen for specific information, usually a time, price, colour etc.  These are important as if she gets all 3 answers wrong, it can be difficult to pass.  Make sure she notes down the questions so she knows what she has to listen for.

Finally, she has a discussion with her partner about a topic like shopping, cooking, learning English, travel.  How she interacts with her partner is assessed, so tell her to smile, make eye contact and use polite turn-taking techniques ("Shall I start?", "What about you?").

Things like grammar and pronunciation are assessed but only a very low level is required to pass.  More important is understanding the questions and looking confident.  

PM me if you want more information.

There are 4 parts to the test, reading, writing, listening and speaking, it can be done via computer exam or with a paper examination.

My best advice is to use the British Council in Bangkok for a free assessment/placement test, they will recommend her level and suggest if she will be eligible. But they are also selling their intensive teaching package so beware if they want her to sign up for a 12 week course.   I teach for IELTS and work online, you can ask me more questions directly through Skype:    Kenjinuk.

36 minutes ago, Peter60 said:

There are 4 parts to the test, reading, writing, listening and speaking, it can be done via computer exam or with a paper examination.

My best advice is to use the British Council in Bangkok for a free assessment/placement test, they will recommend her level and suggest if she will be eligible. But they are also selling their intensive teaching package so beware if they want her to sign up for a 12 week course.   I teach for IELTS and work online, you can ask me more questions directly through Skype:    Kenjinuk.

Perhaps you are referring to another test; there is no reading or writing evaluation in A1 and it has to be done in person with an evaluator and another candidate.

1 hour ago, Peter60 said:

Thanks for all the info so far, what you have mentioned though is what is causing the confusion because for example when I goto the British Consul and ask about teaching/coaching classes they only do the full academic IELTS level 7 training which is over and above what my wife needs to do and I don't want to scare her off with a more difficult test, she is already worried about the test. There doesn't seem to be a 'Life Skills A1 IELTS' speaking and listening course available other than the examples on the website which seems strange to me since there will be many wifes/girlfriends going to do this test I would have thought.

The information provided so far is proving very useful, especially from Brewsterbudgen. Im sure my wife just needs to practice the 'discussion/questions with a partner for 2 minutes' part so she keeps the conversation going.

You are confusing the IELTS Academic and General Training tests with the IELTS Life Skills tests. For Settlement visas only IELTS Life Skills A1 or B1 (or the Trinity equivalent) are accepted by UKVI.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info so far, what you have mentioned though is what is causing the confusion because for example when I goto the British Consul and ask about teaching/coaching classes they only do the full academic IELTS level 7 training which is over and above what my wife needs to do and I don't want to scare her off with a more difficult test, she is already worried about the test. There doesn't seem to be a 'Life Skills A1 IELTS' speaking and listening course available other than the examples on the website which seems strange to me since there will be many wifes/girlfriends going to do this test I would have thought.

The information provided so far is proving very useful, especially from Brewsterbudgen. Im sure my wife just needs to practice the 'discussion/questions with a partner for 2 minutes' part so she keeps the conversation going.
It's really not worth doing a Life Skills course, even if you can find one to do. Check out the official links provided earlier in the thread and PM me if you need more information.

In Bangkok she can do the Life Skills A1 or B1 tests at IDP (Silom) or at the British Council. If your wife has good English she could do B1 which will cover her for LTR too.

My wife did the A1 recently. I tried to persuade her to do the higher level tests because her English is excellent, but she wanted the easiest. For the test she was paired with another lady who I had a chat with. Her English was very poor, very basic and unable to fully understand or clearly express herself. Found out later that she passed... Provided your wife is able to communicate with you, pretty sure she will not need to pay for coaching. All they are looking for are very basic communication skills.

My wife did the A1 recently. I tried to persuade her to do the higher level tests because her English is excellent, but she wanted the easiest. For the test she was paired with another lady who I had a chat with. Her English was very poor, very basic and unable to fully understand or clearly express herself. Found out later that she passed... Provided your wife is able to communicate with you, pretty sure she will not need to pay for coaching. All they are looking for are very basic communication skills.
Yes, if they speak, they should pass!

Archived