Kasikornbank launches automated currency exchange machines

Kasikornbank launches automated currency exchange machines

By THE NATION

800_49e56d7847f3e6b.jpg?v=1571634195

Amorn Suvachittanont, left, KBank First Senior Vice President, and Manabu Shintani, right, chief executive of ActPro, recently introduced automated currency exchange machines that allow customers to exchange Thai Baht for US dollars, Euros and Japanese Yen or change US dollars, Euros, pounds sterling, Australian dollars, Singapore dollars, Chinese Yuan, Hong Kong dollars, Korean won, Taiwan dollars, Malaysian Ringgit and Swiss francs into Baht around the clock.

Transactions are limited to Bt30,000 Baht per transaction Bt9,999 day/person. The self-service currency exchange machines are now available at B1 Floor, Airport Rail Link, Suvarnabhumi Station.

FX%20Machine3%20(1).jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377601

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-21

3 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Important are the rates. But I am not clever enough to understand this

"Transactions are limited to Bt30,000 Baht per transaction Bt9,999 day/person."

What is the limit now? 

C'mon it's obvious! You need a group of three people at the machine together to get the 30,000 Baht per transaction. Must be Thai logic.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently lots of K-Bank ATM machines were removed in several locations in Sukhumvit - and probably lots of other locations. Lot of other ATMs are still there. What is going on?

Perhaps the people are not clever enough to use them? 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently lots of K-Bank ATM machines were removed in several locations in Sukhumvit - and probably lots of other locations. Lot of other ATMs are still there. What is going on?

Maybe because the pin & chip cards now coming in use & abandoning the magnetic stripe only ones..? needing other ATM  readers

4 minutes ago, david555 said:
20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe because the pin & chip cards now coming in use & abandoning the magnetic stripe only ones..? needing other ATM  readers

It's not that.

All the ATMs in Thailand have been able to read the chip & pin cards as well as the mag stripe for nearly a year now.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's not that.

All the ATMs in Thailand have been able to read the chip & pin cards as well as the mag stripe for nearly a year now.

Not all as I know Bangkok bank has a label on them to point out which can ….,but also in Tesco I saw that before 2 KK was there , 1 for deposit also and 1 only for cash taking , now only 1 that do both ,economizing maybe..?

3 minutes ago, david555 said:
8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's not that.

Not all as I know Bangkok bank has a label on them to point out which can ….,but also in Tesco I saw that before 2 KK was there , 1 for deposit also and 1 only for cash taking , now only 1 that do both ,economizing maybe..?

I'm going on correspondence with the Bank Of Thailand regarding the vulnerability of their system regarding chip & pin cards.

It was them who told me all the ATMs had been completely upgraded.

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

From what I see of this bank, it has some of the worst exchange rates available - especially in malls !

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm going on correspondence with the Bank Of Thailand regarding the vulnerability of their system regarding chip & pin cards.

It was them who told me all the ATMs had been completely upgraded.

In Europe decades already we use pin & chip even to pay in supermarkets and shops with terminal and pin code .Even for credit cards long time already ...even before the USA , only that contactless pay system now I dont not trust and don't accept it .

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Amorn Suvachittanont, left, KBank First Senior Vice President, and Manabu Shintani, right, chief executive of ActPro, recently introduced automated currency exchange machines that allow customers to exchange Thai Baht for US dollars, Euros and Japanese Yen or change US dollars, Euros, pounds sterling, Australian dollars, Singapore dollars, Chinese Yuan, Hong Kong dollars, Korean won, Taiwan dollars, Malaysian Ringgit and Swiss francs into Baht around the clock.  

That´s a recipe for disaster!

Transactions are limited to Bt30,000 Baht per transaction Bt9,999 day/person.

Hmmm....let me think!? No, I don´t get it. Thanks anyway @bluesofa

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

In Europe decades already we use pin & chip even to pay in supermarkets and shops with terminal and pin code .Even for credit cards long time already ...even before the USA , only that contactless pay system now I dont not trust and don't accept it .

(sorry for the long post!)

Yes, I remember that's it's been in Europe for decades. It's just new to Thailand - and the USA.

The problem is in Thailand, the BOT allows each merchant (offering card facilities) to choose the verification method. They can opt for PIN or signature verification.

I've pointed out to the BOT this is a step backwards, and merchants should be forced to accept only PIN verification. They said "they are continually looking at improving the security". Pah!

I pointed out that if someone steals/finds a debit/credit card, then they only have to know which shops accept signature verification rather than PIN. There's no chance of the thief knowing the PIN.

I've posted here before that because the signature verification is useless here, I always sign my name as Enid Blyton (a UK children's author) - just because I can. In fifteen years not one staff member at a shop has ever compared my sales voucher signature to the one on the card. I've twice signed as Rumpelstiltskin.

I treat the system with the contempt it deserves.

My wife once left her debit card in the ATM machine. Within an hour it had been used in Big C to make a purchase. Once she contacted the bank who cancelled her card, she contacted Big C who confirmed the purchase - but also that the thief had used her own Big C loyalty card with it - stupidity or what!

My wife got the police involved, who arrested the thief.

That was another suggestion I made to the BOT - make the user remove their card before the cash can be dispensed. They said it is up to individual banks how they operate their ATMs.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Transactions are limited to Bt30,000 Baht per transaction Bt9,999 day/person.

Hmm. I think I'll go away and ruminate on that a while.

On the other hand, I'm never likely to use one so I'll just forget about it.

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Important are the rates. But I am not clever enough to understand this

"Transactions are limited to Bt30,000 Baht per transaction Bt9,999 day/person."

What is the limit now? 

The daily limit is Bt99,999/person.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=https://brandinside.asia/kasikorn-bank-automated-currency-exchange-machine/&prev=search

No surprise that The Nation makes such an error.........

This automated exchange system must be connected to a bank card I guess , as I don't see someone put a few baht bills in the machine for dollars  as never the correct amount would be in bills , an exchange coins is not possible seeing the different number of foreign currencies, I guess it is not changing a bill in baht or reverse , as that would be very complicated ….example bill recognition real or fake one ...

Not much explaining to find how exactly this go work …. same as 2 different limits in the KK post

On 10/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, RichardColeman said:

From what I see of this bank, it has some of the worst exchange rates available - especially in malls !

Someone had to say it.

Avoid KBank for cash exchange and who would assume the self-service machines are better.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, dabhand said:

The daily limit is Bt99,999/person.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=https://brandinside.asia/kasikorn-bank-automated-currency-exchange-machine/&prev=search

No surprise that The Nation makes such an error.........

If there was a Pulitzer price for news media with most errors in its articles I'm sure The Nation would win a Pulitzer.

Archived